Advice needed - 9yo cat - neutered male - bump under/near nipple

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

My cat Whiskey is a 9yo neutered male. I’ve had him for 7.5years. He’s had asthma when I adopted him that spontaneously resolved about 3 years ago. He was on flovent for asthma from 2016 to 2020. No meds since then except occasional flee preventatives. He is an indoor cat but we take him for an occasional walk outside on a leash.

End of last week i found a little bump near one of his nipples - it’s about 0.5 - 0.75cm in diameter and feels like only a few millimeters thick, not directly under the nipple, slightly to the side. Bump doesn’t feel very firm, but feels defined and like it is under the skin. No redness, no crusty scabs. Kitty does not seem bothered by it. No changes in behavior, litter box habits or appetite.

I checked all over his body and that seems to be the only bump like that.

The bump has not gotten bigger or smaller between Friday last week and now.

I got an appointment at the vet clinic for tomorrow for Whiskey. They said they are equipped to do bloodwork and tests.

google searches for lumps/bumps/swelling at male cats’ nipples did not net much information except that it could be many things including some nasty ones.

I am curious if anyone here experienced similar symptoms with your cats? Did it turn out ok?

And I could use some advice on what questions I should ask the vet and what tests I might need to ask to be done for Whiskey?

I’m very nervous and kinda lost right now, i’ve never dealt with any major issues with pets before and we are in a new town, so I don't know this vet, they do have good reviews and are a cat friendly practice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
google searches for lumps/bumps/swelling at male cats’ nipples did not net much information except that it could be many things including some nasty ones.
This absolutely does not help the layman to narrow anything down and many medical websites have to warn you about the worst that can happen. As was stated, lots of bumps are not cancerous.

Your vet will probably do some test of the bump if he feels it is necessary. Many bumps can be identified by vets as harmless, just as a dermatologist can, based on their training, so you may not have to go very far on this.

Please let us know what you find out.