Advice, Help, Hugs???

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so we (my husband and I) will be adopting a couple of kitties in the near future. Not sure of age, male or female or even how many yet. We recently lost our three cats, all from different conditions, very close together. Although we are still grieving them, we are excited and happy to adopt more. We just can't live without cats in our lives. :catrub::catlove:
The problem I'm having, is that every time I think of having to only pick 1 or 2 or even 3...who knows???? I am already feeling immense guilt for those I will leave behind, and have already shed a few tears over it. :sniffle:

I know for an absolute fact that I want more kitties in my life, I know I'm not moving forward with a new adoption too soon, because I know I can never replace those I've lost. I have always felt a pang of guilt leaving a pet store/shelter after playing with the cats they had, but I'm feeling overwhelmed? I think? I don't really know. Maybe I was able to cope better when I just "just visiting" because I knew I couldn't bring them home, but now that I can, I don't know, I just feel really guilty and sad for those who will not be coming home with me. :( Do I make any sense at all?
Has anyone ever felt this way? Could this just be my grief talking?
How have you dealt with this type of guilt, if that is something you have experienced?

Maybe I need a professional ;)....but I honestly think hearing from fellow cat people would make me feel better. :thumbsup:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
When my beloved Delia passed I waited for a long time (haha just playing I lasted a month)... Adopted Tallulah Went back 2 days later and adopted Geneva.
I felt like you, I wanted to help more kitties. But it's not reasonable to adopt them all, so I began volunteering at the shelter. That way I'm helping! I do it to honor Delia's life and help as many kitties as I possibly can find a home--Just not my home. Well except Alasdair, I couldn't resist him a few months after I got the girls.... But really he was the last!!!
:)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I work at a shelter, and your feeling guilty about not being able to adopt them all is perfectly normal. So many people say they'd like to take the whole litter, all the cats in the room, etc., that we have to assure them that they'll find good homes, too, and that a certain amount of destiny is involved. Even the staff members feel like you do.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty. You will be adopting 1,2 or even 3! Imagine you will provide 3 cats a home and your heart all at the same time! That is wow! If you can, above suggestion is right, you can do also volunteering at the shelter (although there could be temptations to adopt more later :) )

Goodluck and thank you for your loving heart. Post the kitties' pics soon. We are excited :)

whimsikitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are not alone. I've had that same feeling after visiting cats up for adoption. My local PetsMart hosts a rescue that adopts out kitties and I just can't help saying hi to them when I'm there! Just know that when you are ready to adopt you will be doing a world of good for those babies you take home, I hope you can find comfort in that :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really can't decide you could just ask the shelter to show you the three who have been there the longest. Or the three who are having the most trouble coping with the shelter environment. Or the three who need a little extra help... That makes the universe your partner in the decision.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate. When i go to petco i have to stay away from the adoptable cats area or i'll cry when i go home. Its very hard for me to see them and "do nothing", even tho ive already got a rescue kitty and one is all i can handle right now.

Its like i feel like, once ive SEEN them, close up in person, theyre my responsibility, and im a horrible person for just walking away. I know its irrational, but its how i feel.