Advice from experienced Fosters please

lunaleopard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

On Friday 5/28, I picked up two severely sick kittens from a cat colony in the evening. They were the smallest kittens there and one of them was extremely malnourished, just skin and bones and half the size of the next smallest one. After caring for him for 2 days, he passed away. Fortunately, I still am caring for the other one, a female. The little female is already perking up and her eyes are getting better, she is able to walk although still wobbly. I think she must be around 3 weeks. She can pee just fine, but this is day 3, still no poo! I am worried she will get constipated. Should I be worried about this or continue to wait since she still sick? When should I start to worry? What are the signs of a constipated kitten this age and how can I take care of her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunaleopard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
How much, and what, is she eating? Was she eating at all prior to coming to you?

Constipation — Kitten Lady
I am feeding her KMR. At first, I fed her the liquid, but then I read on here that it causes diarrhea, so I switched to the powder yesterday. She is eating that well. She ate about 12mls around 2 hours ago. I'm not sure if she was eating from her mom before, I'm sure she was getting a little bit. But, she was very lethargic, she was just laying there with her face down on the ground. It was over 100 degrees outside and all the other kittens were bigger and both eyes were swollen and crusted over. All of the kittens eyes have problems. We are going back with eye ointment to care for the others. Also, should the KMR be grainy after mixing? I tried adding more water but the formula isn't smooth, its still grainy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which brand kitten formula are you using? PetAg and Royal Canin mix up smoothly. You can substitute unflavored Pedialyte for the water. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding to help with constipation.

Thank you for the rescue! I hope you can get some of the adult females TNVR’d to stop the breeding and catch more kittens.

lunaleopard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Which brand kitten formula are you using? PetAg and Royal Canin mix up smoothly. You can substitute unflavored Pedialyte for the water. Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding to help with constipation.

Thank you for the rescue! I hope you can get some of the adult females TNVR’d to stop the breeding and catch more kittens.
Hi! I just checked and I am using PetAg. Could something be wrong with this batch? It's weird that its gritty! I will get some pedialyte, I don't want her to be uncomfortable!

lunaleopard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AGGGHHHH! I am getting confused! I went to go get pedialyte and stop at the pet food store. I saw there was a different Petag Kitten milk replacer. I was feed the one that just said KMR, then I bought the one with the pink label that says Petlac. Which should I use?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Either is fine for tiny kittens, but it should not mix up and be gritty. Are you using one part powder to 2 parts water?

lunaleopard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Either is fine for tiny kittens, but it should not mix up and be gritty. Are you using one part powder to 2 parts water?
Yes, I used 1 of the little scoops of powder and 2 of filtered water. Maybe I am overreacting about the grittiness. It does look gritty in the jar, but when I squeezed some from the bottle to my fingers, it doesn't feel gritty. Here is a picture though just in case.

Attachments