Advice for transitioning cats to a home cooked Diet

jenntigercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I need some advice or tips to transition my cats to a home cooked diet. I am not to worried about the female because she will eat just about anything, but my male Pumpkin is very picky. I wanted to go raw but I know he will not touch it. How long should it take until he is completely on cooked? Also how much should I feed him? Pumpkin weighs 7 pounds but I would actually like to see him up around 8 pounds.   I am going with cooked turkey since he has issues with chicken. I am also supplementing with Fresh + Oasis Felidae T from Apperon.  It was formulated by Dr Gary Pusillo, and highly recommended to me by some one who uses the dog version. The oasis is a complete supplement that can be just added to the ground meat. 

Jenn

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest adding a very small amount of the cooked food to the current food for awhile, maybe about a teaspoon. it's easiest to do this with canned food than with dry food. Mix the cooked food into the canned food to hide it. When your cat readily eats the mix, you can add a little more of the cooked food and a little less of the canned. Continue until the cat is eating just the cooked food. It may take a couple of days or or longer. Let your cat go at his own pace. I'm still working on transitioning of my cats from NV raw to raw with a premix. It's been over a month and she still won't eat more than half NV and half raw with premix and even then she fusses for awhile before finally eating

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You don't say what you are transitioning from, but I'm guessing it's probably canned?  Even if it is, this article might help if what LTS3 suggests doesn't work, which, BTW, is exactly how lots of us transition our furkids to raw:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

As far as how long it should take....that's completely up to each individual cat
.  I was able to transition one of mine to raw almost immediately, and another was so stubborn that I finally gave up on him

How much?  Here's another article that may help, because, once again, every cat is different in how many calories they need, just like people:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat