Advice for senior cat...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annestark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would add additional boxes to your home. It could be that she has negative thoughts towards the current box. Sometimes adding additional box(es) will help them to poop in the correct place.

I have a kitty who will have chronic loose stools if given prednisolone and/or a grain free diet. He is on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE dry and Hills Science Diet i/d for wet. We also supplement with grain free food in a ratio that doesn't cause his poops to be soft. Every single feeding (2x a day) he gets saccharomyces boullardi. This has helped immensely. We give him about 1/2 capsule (open up and sprinkle powder on food and mix into wet food) each feeding.

I also suggest the fecal PCR test to check for parasites not covered on a regular in-house fecal float. Additionally, you could try raw food to see if that helps.
I have four boxes now - various sizes and places. I did try uncovered but she pees over the edge. Nothing helped. The PCR was done the first time I took her to the vet and she was negative for everything.

I'm calling the vet today to ask about the S. Boullardi... I've never heard of it before.