Advice for moving with cats?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, one of them struggles with anxiety. His anxiety issues started in October, he has developed cystitis at least once due to his anxiety. Now he takes fluoxetine and he is doing great. I will be moving in august and I am worried about him. The last time I moved with him he was so much more stressed and anxious than my other 2 cats. He was hissing, growling, and panting, he is normally very sweet. The other 2 cats were scared but they were ok. He gets along with them very well but when we moved he kept attacking them for the first few days because he was so scared. He did not yet struggle with anxiety when I moved last so I’m worried about how he will react when I move this time, even with anxiety medication. Right now my plan is to bring him to the apartment after everything else is already moved in so that when he gets there it is quiet. I will most likely start him in the bathroom with a bed that smells like him and his litter box and his favorite food. I’m planning on asking my vet for something to help him with the move but I’m wondering what medication I should ask for. He was previously prescribed gabapentin as needed but it didn’t seem to help much, I’m not sure if it will be enough for him when I move. I really want to make this as easy as possible for him, he has been doing so well with his anxiety and i don’t want him to develop cystitis again. If anyone has any suggestions of which medication I can ask my vet for or what else I can do to make him comfortable I would really appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, one of them struggles with anxiety. His anxiety issues started in October, he has developed cystitis at least once due to his anxiety. Now he takes fluoxetine and he is doing great. I will be moving in august and I am worried about him. The last time I moved with him he was so much more stressed and anxious than my other 2 cats. He was hissing, growling, and panting, he is normally very sweet. The other 2 cats were scared but they were ok. He gets along with them very well but when we moved he kept attacking them for the first few days because he was so scared. He did not yet struggle with anxiety when I moved last so I’m worried about how he will react when I move this time, even with anxiety medication. Right now my plan is to bring him to the apartment after everything else is already moved in so that when he gets there it is quiet. I will most likely start him in the bathroom with a bed that smells like him and his litter box and his favorite food. I’m planning on asking my vet for something to help him with the move but I’m wondering what medication I should ask for. He was previously prescribed gabapentin as needed but it didn’t seem to help much, I’m not sure if it will be enough for him when I move. I really want to make this as easy as possible for him, he has been doing so well with his anxiety and i don’t want him to develop cystitis again. If anyone has any suggestions of which medication I can ask my vet for or what else I can do to make him comfortable I would really appreciate it.
I wanted to add that he does great with pills but he absolutely hates liquid medication, the gabapentin was a liquid. My current vet is amazing and I think he would prescribe whatever I ask for as long as it is safe for my cat. He is so helpful and always listens to my concerns / suggestions so I know he will be able to help the move go smoother

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing that might help when you actually get to your new home...now, well in advance, place a couple of old sheets on places where all of the cats like to hang out. Let them shed all over the sheets. The day before you move, take the sheets and cut them into squares about 18 inches on each side. Fold them, fur-side in, and tuck inside large zip-lock bags. Keep nearby during the move. When you get to the new place, place a few of the squares, unfolded, around each and ever room. It gives your cats "instant territory."

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience, gabapentin made my cat very sleepy the first time, but subsequently less so when taken after. My vet did have me give it the night before and then two hours prior to appointment time. Her dosage was one 100mg capsule. I would check around to see what others have given for something like a plane ride.

Regarding the new house, I’ve heard that if you rub a wash cloth on the sides of their head, picking up their pheromones, then rub it along the baseboards, that can help. I’m sure you’ve heard about Feliway diffusers, Jackson Galaxy has a stress stopper fluid I’ve tried that seems to help.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
During times of stress, I would always give my cat extra water to "flush" his bladder as a defense against cystitis.

Playing music allowed him to not be stressed by every little noise.

You've got a good plan! You can't prevent everything; just doing your best is enough.