Advice For Hyperesthesia For My Cat

Elithecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'll first explain how I came about noticing my cat doing weird twitchy things. About a year ago I came home from work and my cat was bugged out, eyes were dilated, twitching and running away randomly. I felt like there was something majorly wrong so I brought him to the vet hospital where the vet did blood work, kept him over night and told me the next day he was dehydrated and blood work was fine. $1,400 later no idea what had happened or caused his behavior. I then went home and checked for anything he could of got into that was toxic...nothing. Ever since that had happened he has been "twitchy" doesn't happen all the time but last night I finally looked it up and realized what he was doing was Hyperesthesia or so I believe.

With that being said bringing him to vet, I know they'll want to do a bunch of test and blood work and I'm just not okay with that. The last time he had an infection they couldn't figure it out and it cost a lot. I looked it up myself and it was ringworm.. two vets later they were like "Oh yes it's ringworm" It's crazy how they couldn't diagnose that when the hair above his eyes were missing and the skin was red. Anyway that being said I have researched on what to do to help with this uncommon syndrome. I feed him Iams indoor formula- he eats little over 1/4 twice a day. I should mention he's VERY motivated by food. I notice he has these episodes before I feed him or if I don't feed him right when he starts meowing. Any ideas what RAW diet cat food to purchase? Or anything to help calm him down, I feel so bad I didn't notice this early on and I don't want him stressing out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you found our site and came here for advice. Like most of us you sound like a very dedicated cat parent. It just so happens we have a new Article that discusses Hyperesthesia in cats:
Feline Hyperesthesia

We also have a raw food forum that you might want to check out if you're considering a raw food diet:
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There's Primal, or Stella and Chewys although it's suggested to watch the litterbox since these can cause constipation due to the bone content, especially S&C. Some added plain pumpkin could help there.
Northwest Naturals is a good option as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elithecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
There's Primal, or Stella and Chewys although it's suggested to watch the litterbox since these can cause constipation due to the bone content, especially S&C. Some added plain pumpkin could help there.
Northwest Naturals is a good option as well.

Thank you for the information. I just called my vet and they said not to feed raw food diet. So I'm at a stand still but he's going to vet sometime this month

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what they say. And take that Cornell article with you...some vets aren't really that up on hyperesthesia, and don't know all the treatments available. Or just make a note of them, and ask.