Advice For How To Apply Ointment To Spay Incision??

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old was just spayed 2 days ago. I had to take her to the vet yesterday and today for follow-up care (you can see my other post for details if you want). The vet sent us home today w/ a tube of some sort of ointment or cream and told me to put it on her incision twice a day. I watched them put it on her yesterday and today, but in both cases, there were two of them doing it. They turned her over on her back, took her outfit off of her legs (the outfit isn't common in the USA, so I'll attach a photo) and it took both of them (and today me as well) holding her still to apply it. Granted, she's a lot calmer at home so that will be to my benefit, but since she's supposed to keep wearing this outfit for a while, it's not like I can just wait till she's relaxing next to me and rolls over to expose her belly, because the outfit will be in the way! When I start fiddling with the outfit, that will probably spook her, so the ambush-while-relaxed approach won't work.

Any suggestions as to how I, as a single person, can do what it took 2-3 people at the vets office to do? Like how to hold her, etc.? I tried googling it, hoping I might find a youtube video, but all I found was stuff saying to NOT apply any sort of ointment or cream. I mean, I've got an idea of how I might try, but I'm really hoping someone else can share their experience applying medicine to a cat's belly before I start trying to put her in crazy positions and potentially cause her to strain herself.

P.S. I live alone and asking a friend isn't really an option. My cats are pretty scared of other people, plus I don't really have any friends that live close enough and would be willing to come over here twice a day, especially not on my crazy schedule.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't really have any suggestions on how you can manage the ointment by yourself. But, I do have a question as to why she needs both the cone and a protective outfit. It would seem to me that one or the other would be sufficient. And, if it weren't for her spay incision issue, I would have suggested to get rid of the cone. But, in your case, to have better access to the spay cite, perhaps don't use the protective outfit?? If that were possible, you could more easily wait until she is more relaxed to get the ointment on her by yourself.

Also, what is the ointment for - an infection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what the ointment is for, they didn't tell me and it's in Chinese. And I don't know why she needs both the cone and the outfit either. I don't even know how long she's supposed to wear the cone. In the course of the conversation today, I was told 7 days, 3-5 days (several times) and then 10 days. I gave up after that.

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister and mom both think I shouldn't use the ointment, based on all the cats they've had spayed in America w/o ointment. The vet said her wound was healing well. The reason we went back yesterday and today wasn't related to the spay surgery actually, but an issue they found when they did her blood tests before the surgery.

I just don't know if I should throw out the vet's direction to use the ointment or not. I don't know if it's antibiotic or some sort of pain relief or something that the particular kind of sutures they used needs... So I'm not sure how important it is.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's difficult on your own but are able to post a photo of the wound. Does it look infected.

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's difficult on your own but are able to post a photo of the wound. Does it look infected.
I don't have a picture of it, but it's definitely not infected. I got a good look at it both today and yesterday. It looks great.

Edit: We were just there today and the vet said it was healing well. I think if it had been infected he would have told us to keep coming back.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been a long time since I dealt with a spay incision, but I think the general rule of thumb for reduced activity and precaution is about 7-10 days. If she is not bothering the incision, and can be under supervision, and the incision looks like it is healing well, you could probably get rid of all the protective gear after a few days.

If you have family members who can look at the site with you and you all agree it looks healthy - and is not infected - then the ointment may have been recommended as a precaution. Or, as V verna davies , has suggested post a pic of the incision for members here to take a look.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In your position, I would not use the ointment. I have never heared of ointment given for a spay unless there is infection. I am under the impression that the wound needs to be kept dry. You could always phone the vets and ask someone there what it is for and maybe a translation of what it is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the vet is just trying to prevent scarring - you know, maybe the vet thinks your cat is vain and would prefer not to have much of a scar to live with for the rest of her life?? ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist...

I agree with V verna davies , forgo the ointment. If you find out what it is, and for some remote reason it becomes infected, then you will have it on hand.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an opinion on whether to use the ointment or not (I am not a vet), but I just want to send hugs to your kitty! That photo of her in her outfit and cone -- wow, that's something else! :eek3:

I hope she can be free and healthy soon, so that she can play and have a lot of fun!
:hearthrob: :bliss::hearthrob:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
People do sometimes use outfits like that in the US, but I've only ever seen it in lieu of a cone, not in addition. They serve the same purpose, after all!