Advice for finding a hunting cat needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I've got 3 large oaks in my back yard and a pine tree in the front and since I moved into my house 2 years ago, the trees have become overrun with mocking birds. At this point, they have started to chirp in the middle of the night, and when they start, you can't sleep in my house. With all the bedrooms up stairs, it's like they are right outside your window.

From what I've read and what I've been told, the only way to solve this problem is to unleash a bad ass cat that will kill or make the trees uninhabitable for these birds.

Any advice for what to look for in a cat that would suggest to it being a hunter/killer? What I've learned so far is that female is the first thing i need to look for.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW I forgot to mention, I've looked into to the miniature wild cats. While they look like really cool pets, I am not sure if it would be a good idea to allow something like that roam free around my yard. I also really like calico cats.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a kitty before? Is this the main reason you want to get a kitty? I'm not sure where you researched but "the only way to solve this problem is to unleash a bad ass cat that will kill or make the trees uninhabitable for these birds" is absolutely not true.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you looked into more humane ways of controlling the bird population?

If you do decide to get a cat, will you be able to commit to taking care of it for its entire life, keeping in mind that cats can live past 20 years old. Will you get it spayed/neutered, keep it up to date with shots etc., give it a proper diet, and give it the attention it desires?

A cat is more than just a way to kill a few birds.

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Have you ever had a kitty before? Is this the main reason you want to get a kitty? I'm not sure where you researched but "the only way to solve this problem is to unleash a bad ass cat that will kill or make the trees uninhabitable for these birds" is absolutely not true.
I've never had a cat before, and the bird problem is probably the primary reason I need a cat. I will say that I have thought numerous times about getting a cat because I always enjoy them when I am around them, especially if they are playful.

And actually, a cat is the only solution, in Florida mocking birds are protected species even though their population is under control. A cat is pretty much the only thing that can lay a hand on these birds legally!!

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Have you looked into more humane ways of controlling the bird population?

If you do decide to get a cat, will you be able to commit to taking care of it for its entire life, keeping in mind that cats can live past 20 years old. Will you get it spayed/neutered, keep it up to date with shots etc., give it a proper diet, and give it the attention it desires?

A cat is more than just a way to kill a few birds.
I've actually tried everything, but nothing has worked. I think anything short of using a shotgun won't work with these birds, which is illegal and wouldn't want to do anyway. I actually have my doubts about a cat also, these are very aggressive birds, they force other birds including birds of prey, out of the area.

Wow, 20 years! I've had multiple dogs, they have averaged 12 years or so.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even though its not in my faith to kill anything, I did grow up on a farm where my parents kept an average of 3 cats to help control the population of all the lil beasts that bothered the farm. From my experience a female cat with sharp reflexes and smooth movements are your best bets (think a lion hunting prey style), our best "mousers" have always been the female cats that preferred the outdoors to the home and stayed a bit shy of everyone expect "their" one and only person. I know its not much help, but this is only my opinion, I hate to see anything die but I understand the roles of nature as well. Have you tried a high pitch noise wave gadget that might make the birds go away, we have one in our home to keep the mice away (like we need it with 4 cats but its better to give the mouse a warning) I'm not sure if anything like this exist but it might be worth looking into.

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What about a sonic deterrent? http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/p...nic-deterrents

It's $195, but it's cheaper than a cat in the long run. And it comes with a 30 day warranty, so you can send it back if it doesn't work.

My childhood kitties passed away at 16 and 17 years a few years back
Well, that would also be illegal.

Like I said, basically, I can't do a single thing to these birds besides look at them. They are also very aggressive, hardy birds. From what I read, cats won't catch these birds but there's a good chance they influence them to find another tree.

Just got this advice on another (non-cat) forum, tell me what you think...
It's an instinct thing with cats, they don't need to be taught. Go to the shelter and look for an effed up cat in good shape, then feed it and take care of it, the cat will start bringing you dead birds on your porch as "presents".
He also mentioned a long lean cat, which is common sense.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you so to the shelter ask if any of their cats have tendency to stalk birds, even though these birds are hardy and aggressive they will fly away when they finally spot a cat stalking them, even if the cat doesn't kill them (but he/she might get "lucky" every now and then and find a ignorant bird that isn't watching), that's all i can say besides the common sense of making sure your cat doesn't have their claws removed or a bell on their collar.

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

Even though its not in my faith to kill anything, I did grow up on a farm where my parents kept an average of 3 cats to help control the population of all the lil beasts that bothered the farm. From my experience a female cat with sharp reflexes and smooth movements are your best bets (think a lion hunting prey style), our best "mousers" have always been the female cats that preferred the outdoors to the home and stayed a bit shy of everyone expect "their" one and only person. I know its not much help, but this is only my opinion, I hate to see anything die but I understand the roles of nature as well. Have you tried a high pitch noise wave gadget that might make the birds go away, we have one in our home to keep the mice away (like we need it with 4 cats but its better to give the mouse a warning) I'm not sure if anything like this exist but it might be worth looking into.
Thanks for the advice.

I will try and look for smooth movements when I go, probably tomorrow.

Let me ask you this, is there anything to look for that would suggest the cat prefers outside. I know that is usually the case. Also, I'm planning on getting an adult cat, since I need one out there on the prowl starting last week!! Should I be worried about the cat not taking to me or not sticking around? I don't mind letting it come inside the house, but I obviously can't have its claws removed.

Bare with me, I know next to nothing when it comes to cats.

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

When you so to the shelter ask if any of their cats have tendency to stalk birds, even though these birds are hardy and aggressive they will fly away when they finally spot a cat stalking them, even if the cat doesn't kill them (but he/she might get "lucky" every now and then and find a ignorant bird that isn't watching), that's all i can say besides the common sense of making sure your cat doesn't have their claws removed or a bell on their collar.
These birds chased a hawk from it's nest in the pine. I havn't seen it since.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look for a cat that isn't laying down and being a "princess" in the shelter, something always on the move and alert (you can even ask the shelter workers what one would fit you the best), for a few days i would keep the cat inside and feed it to let it know where home is and where the food is coming from, i know this isn't getting the birds gone but i know that keeping your cat around will keep the birds away. Note of advice, don't go for the one you like go for the cat that fits the job (not the fluffy lil lap cat, the strong lean huntress that will remove the birds.)

rosse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW it may be worth mentioning, these trees are very large and tall. And from what I can tell the birds are near the top.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat *generally* only goes for birds when it's hungry, but starving a cat to make it chase birds is cruel.

Your other option is to start putting smelly canned food outside near the trees. That will probably attract stray and feral cats who may decide your yard is a nice place to hang out. Put food out on a regular basis, and you'll be helping out cats without a home as well as scaring the birds away.

I've just done some research, and from what I can tell, the mockingbirds have a tendency to dive bomb and terrify cats!

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol my husband says get a leopard, but don't listen to him, he has always wanted one, but really look for a cat that really does look and act like a mini lion or other wild cat, you will know a good hunter when you see it. Its in their eyes, not the cold evil look, the calm calculating look, the puzzle solver.

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

A cat *generally* only goes for birds when it's hungry, but starving a cat to make it chase birds is cruel.

Your other option is to start putting smelly canned food outside near the trees. That will probably attract stray and feral cats who may decide your yard is a nice place to hang out. Put food out on a regular basis, and you'll be helping out cats without a home as well as scaring the birds away.

I've just done some research, and from what I can tell, the mockingbirds have a tendency to dive bomb and terrify cats!
haha i wish this was true, I lived on the farm where the food was always there for our cats and they still killed everything that moved.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find that shelters generally don't adopt out "hunting cats".

There's a difference between farm cats, and house cats - house cats are generally more domesticated, and less likely to want to kill everything.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two fenced in outdoor cats (they're not receptive to the house group). Neither cat is ever hungry, they're free fed dry and fed a wet meal daily. The male is right around 13lbs and will probably put on nearly another half pound for winter. The female will eventually near 10lbs. They have killed 5 mocking birds, a robin, and a blue jay that all dared to land in the backyard. During the winter they'll catch anything stupid enough to get into their cat food.
In the case of the mocking birds, I know they caught them because the birds try to attack the cats. (My male cat is the hunter, btw, in the past before I caught him he made a meal of an adult rabbit)

The only defining factor as to what helps make a cat a good hunter is whether they had a mother cat who could hunt and had brought them home live prey to practice on. Time with siblings factors in, too.

I don't condone intentionally getting a cat just for bird control. You should only get a cat if you want a cat. If you don't love and care for it, and you let it outside, that cat will find a better home.
You also may run into problems if people complain about your cat (if you get one) killing birds. Depending on leash laws and how they're written, you may be ordered to keep the cat inside if it's deemed a nuisance animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.