Advice for 4 Month Rabies Quarantine

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So I posted recently about a wounded feral cat that I'm in the process of trapping. Here is the link to the post. I'm pretty new here so apologies if I should have posted this on my previous thread instead of creating a new one.

Over the past few days I've developed more confidence in my ability to trap him and expect to do so within the next week or two. Once I have him, he will need to be brought to animal control where they will neuter him and provide medical care. I will then keep him in a large dog crate for a 4 month rabies quarantine.

Animal control, so far, has been surprisingly easy to work with. The officer I spoke with even thanked me for caring for him.

Though he hasn't been caught yet, I want to be mentally prepared for when I finally take him in. I have a few questions regarding the rabies quarantine:

1. Four months feels like a long time to be confined to a dog crate. How can I provide enrichment while he's here and take care of his mental health? He will have his own room so I plan to ask animal control whether or not he is legally required to stay in the crate.

2. How do I avoid being scratched or bitten? His food and litter box will be in the crate so I will have to reach in pretty often. I plan to wear thick gloves. Should I avoid letting him out of the crate at all to reduce the chance of a bite?

3. What to do if he does bite or scratch me? Since he has a wound of unknown origin, I am concerned that if he bites anyone he will need to be euthanized. Is there any way to avoid this?

If anyone has experience with this I would love to hear from you. For context, I believe this cat is actually feral. I have been feeding him for 4 months and he will only let me get within about 5 feet of him. He does not vocalize except for hissing, which he does almost every time I approach the feeding station while he is waiting for food. He will not eat in front of me.

I have 2 other cats, both up to date on their vaccinations. He will have his own room and I have a baby gate in the hallway which will prevent them from accessing his door.

On one hand, I'm looking forward to the quarantine because it will give me the chance to work on socializing him. I have connections with a local cat rescue and plan to foster for them in the future. I'm considering the idea of reaching out to them for help with finding him an adoptive home once his quarantine is over, rather than releasing him. However I'm dreading the idea of him being under such strict confinement.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would check with the animal control officer, they would know the laws and requirements in your area. For the most part though the requirements tend to be that the animal has to be confined in a way that prevents physical contact with humans or other animals. So it is possible that you may need to keep the cat in the crate for the whole 4 months unfortunately.

For enrichment you can add boxes, toys, a cat hammock, a small cat scratcher or scratching mat. Here is the set up I had for a sick stray I took in in the past that had to be confined for a few months while I treated her and got her well enough to get vaccinated.
20170118_172943.jpg

One idea I've see was for people dealing with wildlife, but you can make barriers out of metal bars (or even wood boards) that you can temporarily put through the crate to physically block the cat in the back of the crate so it can't reach you while you deal with stuff (food, water, litter box, etc) in the front of the crate. It will depend on the cat's temperament though, I have a former feral that when I first caught him would just hide in a box in the back of the crate, so I could clean the litter box, tidy up the crate with a broom, and give food and water without any worry of him trying to attack or him escaping.

The best way to prevent a bite or scratch is to wear protection like you are dealing with a wild animal, thick gloves, a thick or tough material jacket, etc, as well as if you need to get something farther back in the crate use a broom or long stick rather then reaching in yourself. If a bite or deep scratch happens unfortunately most areas require you to have the cat put down and tested for rabies if it's suspected to be rabid since sadly the only way to know 100% for sure in time to treat the human if needed is to examine slices of the cat's brain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would check with the animal control officer, they would know the laws and requirements in your area. For the most part though the requirements tend to be that the animal has to be confined in a way that prevents physical contact with humans or other animals. So it is possible that you may need to keep the cat in the crate for the whole 4 months unfortunately.

For enrichment you can add boxes, toys, a cat hammock, a small cat scratcher or scratching mat. Here is the set up I had for a sick stray I took in in the past that had to be confined for a few months while I treated her and got her well enough to get vaccinated.
View attachment 470516

One idea I've see was for people dealing with wildlife, but you can make barriers out of metal bars (or even wood boards) that you can temporarily put through the crate to physically block the cat in the back of the crate so it can't reach you while you deal with stuff (food, water, litter box, etc) in the front of the crate. It will depend on the cat's temperament though, I have a former feral that when I first caught him would just hide in a box in the back of the crate, so I could clean the litter box, tidy up the crate with a broom, and give food and water without any worry of him trying to attack or him escaping.

The best way to prevent a bite or scratch is to wear protection like you are dealing with a wild animal, thick gloves, a thick or tough material jacket, etc, as well as if you need to get something farther back in the crate use a broom or long stick rather then reaching in yourself. If a bite or deep scratch happens unfortunately most areas require you to have the cat put down and tested for rabies if it's suspected to be rabid since sadly the only way to know 100% for sure in time to treat the human if needed is to examine slices of the cat's brain.
This is all very helpful, thank you. I'll follow your advice and keep him in the crate. Very nice setup in the photo you shared.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
catmoon catmoon check out Feral cat set up long term for how to set up, feed, clean a crated cat set up without endangering yourself. I've used this method when adopting outdoor cats and it's worked well for me though I've only used it for about 30 days for each cat.

I bought Frisco HD Fold & Carry Wire Dog Crate in the 42"L x 28"W x 30" high single door model but wish I had bought the larger 2 door model to give the cat more room and make it easier to access with 2 doors.

I'll tag Kwik Kwik as she had an excellent set up for her feral cat and can offer more suggestions.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi- I've been working with ferals many many years- is their rabies or has their been an outbreak in your area?

I'm a little unsure of why animal control has been involved unless I am just not comprehending the OP for some reason- why not get a nueter voucher from a local organization and go to a participating Vet clinic?

With animal control they send out "officers" weekly or bi- monthly who know very little about animals imo

Since live animals cannot be tested for rabies the Dept of Health/Animal Control and other State Agencies require unvaccinated animals to be quarantined the 4months- some animals ( rodents & weasels usually 6mos) but I've never quarantined for more than 30 days as there's never been any rabies cases in this area in decades- especially a car? But we don't involve Animal Control- may I ask why the concern for this particular animal? Were there cases thst have been reported?

I got scratched by my cat and the hospital reported scratch and I got my usual call from Fla Dept of Health- I told them they need to get glasses because it was nota bite PLUS the animal is vaccinated.... anyway,everytime I have any animal wounds they call- were you wounded?

The cat will be fine and establish the crate ( which is kind of small for longer thsn 30 days)as his territory between 30 & 60 days and then he should be allowed to expand that territory to your safe room you have for him- that's still guaranteeing imo.... he's not a tiger,he's not going to attack you in the room

I don't know how to go over to a link I have for you so brb

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catmoon catmoon check out Feral cat set up long term for how to set up, feed, clean a crated cat set up without endangering yourself. I've used this method when adopting outdoor cats and it's worked well for me though I've only used it for about 30 days for each cat.

I bought Frisco HD Fold & Carry Wire Dog Crate in the 42"L x 28"W x 30" high single door model but wish I had bought the larger 2 door model to give the cat more room and make it easier to access with 2 doors.

I'll tag Kwik Kwik as she had an excellent set up for her feral cat and can offer more suggestions.
Thank you so much for this. I saved the article for future reference. I love the step-by-step instructions for feeding and maintenence. I plan to go with a larger dog crate, probably about 48" in length.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my internet is going bonkers today- I was trying to post and Firefox keeps crashing but I'll be back when I have a good signal

I wanted to show you that from the 300 ( humans bitten)cases in the 80s there were 3 in 2023( I think all 3 were racoons)

It's not usual that cats get into altercations with racoons,if and when they do( food competition) the cat does not usually survive

I don't know where you live but I'm sure your feline friend will be okay and so will you- you getting an enclosure of at least 48 inches is the least he should have for the length of time you are considering,provided he has a minimum of 4 ft in height.... he has to have vertical space as well for his well being- cats can get very withdrawn an depression in small confinement over 30 days

I wish you the very best and we are all here to support your endeavor to give this cat a forever home❤

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi- I've been working with ferals many many years- is their rabies or has their been an outbreak in your area?

I'm a little unsure of why animal control has been involved unless I am just not comprehending the OP for some reason- why not get a nueter voucher from a local organization and go to a participating Vet clinic?

With animal control they send out "officers" weekly or bi- monthly who know very little about animals imo

Since live animals cannot be tested for rabies the Dept of Health/Animal Control and other State Agencies require unvaccinated animals to be quarantined the 4months- some animals ( rodents & weasels usually 6mos) but I've never quarantined for more than 30 days as there's never been any rabies cases in this area in decades- especially a car? But we don't involve Animal Control- may I ask why the concern for this particular animal? Were there cases thst have been reported?

I got scratched by my cat and the hospital reported scratch and I got my usual call from Fla Dept of Health- I told them they need to get glasses because it was nota bite PLUS the animal is vaccinated.... anyway,everytime I have any animal wounds they call- were you wounded?

The cat will be fine and establish the crate ( which is kind of small for longer thsn 30 days)as his territory between 30 & 60 days and then he should be allowed to expand that territory to your safe room you have for him- that's still guaranteeing imo.... he's not a tiger,he's not going to attack you in the room

I don't know how to go over to a link I have for you so brb
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I will try my best to give you a clear idea of the situation.

I noticed his wound and reached out to a local cat rescue in my area.

When I spoke with the director, she told me that I should contact animal control, trap him, and bring him in for TNR. She told me that they would provide wound care, vaccinate him, and then I would foster him in the dog crate.

Our local animal control runs a well-known shelter and adoption center in my area, which the director of the rescue said she had connections with. She told me to wait until she had spoken with them before calling.

Shortly after this, the director reached out to me and told me to call animal control and speak with them. She also told me what to say. She assured me that he would not be euthanized.

I spoke with an animal control officer and they asked me if I had a trap. They asked that I trap him on a weekday when the shelter is open and bring him in, and while he is being seen I would fill out the paperwork needed to foster. I was informed that after the 4 month quarantine I would have the option to either release him or adopt.

There is no rabies outbreak in my area. The way it was explained to me, it sounded like animal control would need to be notified due to the fact he is suffering from what might be a bite wound and may be at risk of rabies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I will try my best to give you a clear idea of the situation.

I noticed his wound and reached out to a local cat rescue in my area.

When I spoke with the director, she told me that I should contact animal control, trap him, and bring him in for TNR. She told me that they would provide wound care, vaccinate him, and then I would foster him in the dog crate.

Our local animal control runs a well-known shelter and adoption center in my area, which the director of the rescue said she had connections with. She told me to wait until she had spoken with them before calling.

Shortly after this, the director reached out to me and told me to call animal control and speak with them. She also told me what to say. She assured me that he would not be euthanized.

I spoke with an animal control officer and they asked me if I had a trap. They asked that I trap him on a weekday when the shelter is open and bring him in, and while he is being seen I would fill out the paperwork needed to foster. I was informed that after the 4 month quarantine I would have the option to either release him or adopt.

There is no rabies outbreak in my area. The way it was explained to me, it sounded like animal control would need to be notified due to the fact he is suffering from what might be a bite wound and may be at risk of rabies.
I see,yes she notified Animal Control- I get it( thank you)
Plus you were going to " foster" so they want a 4 mo quaranteen prior to release( that's standard according to the State)because Animal Control euthanized ferals unless an org works with them to guarantee a 4 mo quaranteen( you see)

Here in South Florida our no kill shelters do TNRs so we do not go through Animal control or they could not do the immense TNRs they do here ( who would foster all these ferals?see?)So we avoid them like the plague

But you then said you'll keep him?If he's feral then what happens to him after- you mentioned you might keep him?I'm sorry if I'm a pest will all my questions,lol I just want to be clear ,I'm hoping to hear he found his forever home is all🙏❤

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was my set up for my most recent adoption of a 7 yr old feral- 6x6x6.... only because I have 4 residents and could not provide him with a safe room of his own....
That is an amazing setup. Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, my concern is not rabies. My goal was to get him medical care for his wound because I was worried about infection.

I still have my reservations about animal control and did not want to call them, but felt better knowing that I had contact with a rescue who could advocate for the cat. I don't love the idea of a 4 month quarantine but it was kind of presented to me as the only option.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see,yes she notified Animal Control- I get it( thank you)
Plus you were going to " foster" so they want a 4 mo quaranteen prior to release( that's standard according to the State)because Animal Control euthanized ferals unless an org works with them to guarantee a 4 mo quaranteen( you see)

Here in South Florida our no kill shelters do TNRs so we do not go through Animal control or they could not do the immense TNRs they do here ( who would foster all these ferals?see?)So we avoid them like the plague

But you then said you'll keep him?If he's feral then what happens to him after- you mentioned you might keep him?I'm sorry if I'm a pest will all my questions,lol I just want to be clear ,I'm hoping to hear he found his forever home is all🙏❤
I'm sorry that my replies are all over the place lol.

Our animal control runs a shelter that actually has a TNR program. They have their issues, but they're generally okay. I was VERY against the idea at first. I still feel a little weird about it but I trust the rescue.

To answer your question, I would definitely consider keeping him, but my ultimate goal is to work with a rescue and get him adopted. I have two cats on my own and I want to foster cats and volunteer for a rescue. My main focus would be working with shy and feral cats to try and get them socialized and placed in appropriate homes.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an amazing setup. Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, my concern is not rabies. My goal was to get him medical care for his wound because I was worried about infection.

I still have my reservations about animal control and did not want to call them, but felt better knowing that I had contact with a rescue who could advocate for the cat. I don't love the idea of a 4 month quarantine but it was kind of presented to me as the only option.
Yes,me too- I don't trust them at all..... in 4 decades from NY to Florida I've nothing good to say about the State involvement,it's a different agenda and not one I support

Every State is different as far as their Free & Low Cost spay/nueter programs but every State does have County Voucher Programs with participating clinics and animal hospitals--' you can always say the animal is gone and call one of those instead from a no kill group to get assistance ( if that's what you're looking for ,for low cost)

Just a suggestion if you're uncomfortable you probably have a reason to be( listen to your gut)Know whst I mean?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that my replies are all over the place lol.

Our animal control runs a shelter that actually has a TNR program. They have their issues, but they're generally okay. I was VERY against the idea at first. I still feel a little weird about it but I trust the rescue.

To answer your question, I would definitely consider keeping him, but my ultimate goal is to work with a rescue and get him adopted. I have two cats on my own and I want to foster cats and volunteer for a rescue. My main focus would be working with shy and feral cats to try and get them socialized and placed in appropriate homes.
Ah,well retired now but that was part of my job for over 4 decades- with ferals to be socialized for adoption( not strays & not semi ferals) true ferals- they can certainly be a lovely housecat but highly likely adoption is not good odds

To socialize ferals for adoption you need to work with them in a facility with many people to assist and familiarize him with other people,strangers etc to ready them for an unfamiliar transition
Your little friend will familiarize himself with your environment,establish territory and have a dependence and a relationship with YOU in those 4 months- he'll be as skittish as he was with strangers as the day you brought him in

It would take me ( with many assistants) and daily visitors at least 6 months to fully ready one feral for an adoption- thats alot of time,alot of money ,and alot of "room" required that your average shelter will not spend - thsts why they all tell you they are " unadoptable"( which they are not)

Thank God my dear friend owns a huge no kill shelter with a small sanctuary for limited number of "cat social" kitties that cannot get adopted so I had access to socialize and ready many of them....

Most go to working cat programs ( barns,ranches,farms).... now your idea works well with strays and many a semi feral❤❤❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't happen to be in South Florida ,would you?
If you are I'll help you out

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't happen to be in South Florida ,would you?
If you are I'll help you out
Unfortunately I am in Western Massachusetts but I really appreciate the offer.

I hear what you're saying about the challenges that come with the domestication of ferals. It does sound like it could be an impossible goal, but a girl can dream. 😂

I got the idea after stumbling upon a feral-only rescue about 2 hours away from me. They're a couple who keeps a large colony of ferals at their home. The difference is that they have several acres of land for the cats to roam. I have a large 4 bedroom house, but with a small yard in an urban area. So you're right, I will probably have to stick to working with strays and semi-ferals.

The reason I am still considering working with animal control is that there aren't a lot of good TNR programs near me. I found a community vet with a TNR voucher program but they had some bad reviews so I wasn't sure.

Also, the organization I am in touch with is the only active cat-only rescue in my area. They are cage-free and foster-only. I badly want to work with them and I'm afraid that if I go against the director's advice it may cause tension. Additionally, I'm concerned that choosing not to go ahead with a 4 month quarantine would get me into legal trouble, if that makes sense?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm afraid that if I go against the director's advice it may cause tension. Additionally, I'm concerned that choosing not to go ahead with a 4 month quarantine would get me into legal trouble, if that makes sense?
Yes, it does.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to stick with my original plan. I feel pretty confident in the organization that I'm working with. What I'm most concerned about right now is his quality of life while in my care. Everyone's suggestions have been so helpful.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I've considered everyone's advice. Here's the plan as of right now.

My Tomahawk Gravity Trap was delivered today so I'll be using that in place of the Countyline brand. I expect to have the cat sometime next week.

As soon as he's been trapped, I'm going to contact the cat rescue and call the shelter for TNR/wound care. He will be dropped off in the trap, which I've already labelled with my name and phone number. Once we're there I will provide the shelter staff/animal control with the contact information for the rescue to ensure that everything goes according to plan.

Once he's received medical care I'm going to take him in. I am purchasing a large 48" dog crate, which opens at the top as well as the front. This way if I need to DIY some extra levels for more vertical space, I can.

I'm hoping that after around 30 days I will be able to let him out of the crate and into the safe room. This will depend on his temperament, how well he adjusts to being indoors, etc. I've been looking at tall, adjustable baby gates to put inside the room around the door, which will hopefully provide a barrier between us and prevent door-dashing if and when he is allowed to roam the room.

I'll update this thread once he's caught!