Advice and reassurance needed please

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
My beautiful Willow is pregnant with her first litter. She will be fixed ASAP after her litter, we’ve just had some bad luck in regards to getting her spade which I won’t use as an excuse but wanted to reassure you all I do have her best interests at heart.
Anyway, on 21st July I noticed her nipples were pinking and her tummy sighting bigger,
my son then confessed she had escaped the house (while waiting for operation we have kept her in while in season) and he did see her with another cat before she came back in. We tried to pin pointed that day to 17th to estimate she was around 5 weeks.
If we go by this date she is 69 days however if we take it she was bang on 3 weeks when I noticed the pinking she is 56 days
For the last week she had had me on tender hooks
Last Tuesday I finally saw some big movements in her tummy that couldn’t be mistaken for anything else they have now turned into little ripples and pokes.
Friday she had what I believed was her mucas plug come away and since then she has had some clear discharge with a tinge of blood sometimes.
She has been very clinging this week too and visiting my wardrobe which I’ve prepared as a nesting box.
On Sunday her vulva started to swell also and she has been licking it a bit. She is however still eating although this has reduced over the last two days.

So I was all geared up for something to happen and that my first date was looking more likely but as we have now just gone into day 69 with nothing starting I’m wondering if she is only around 56 days all these signs are now happening too soon.
We did visit the vets at what I believed at the time was 7 weeks but although they could confirm she was pregnant they couldn’t feel much and couldn’t give an estimate of kittens etc…

Shall we just wait? Sounds like things are progressing but not as quickly as I expected?

Thanks in advance.

KopaMomma422527

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
My beautiful Willow is pregnant with her first litter. She will be fixed ASAP after her litter, we’ve just had some bad luck in regards to getting her spade which I won’t use as an excuse but wanted to reassure you all I do have her best interests at heart.
Anyway, on 21st July I noticed her nipples were pinking and her tummy sighting bigger,
my son then confessed she had escaped the house (while waiting for operation we have kept her in while in season) and he did see her with another cat before she came back in. We tried to pin pointed that day to 17th to estimate she was around 5 weeks.
If we go by this date she is 69 days however if we take it she was bang on 3 weeks when I noticed the pinking she is 56 days
For the last week she had had me on tender hooks
Last Tuesday I finally saw some big movements in her tummy that couldn’t be mistaken for anything else they have now turned into little ripples and pokes.
Friday she had what I believed was her mucas plug come away and since then she has had some clear discharge with a tinge of blood sometimes.
She has been very clinging this week too and visiting my wardrobe which I’ve prepared as a nesting box.
On Sunday her vulva started to swell also and she has been licking it a bit. She is however still eating although this has reduced over the last two days.

So I was all geared up for something to happen and that my first date was looking more likely but as we have now just gone into day 69 with nothing starting I’m wondering if she is only around 56 days all these signs are now happening too soon.
We did visit the vets at what I believed at the time was 7 weeks but although they could confirm she was pregnant they couldn’t feel much and couldn’t give an estimate of kittens etc…

Shall we just wait? Sounds like things are progressing but not as quickly as I expected?

Thanks in advance.
***My Opinion***
I suggest to wait it out, keep an eye on her and make sure she’s drinking water even if she stops eating. It takes quite a bit of time (To get the process started and to get through it all; especially the first go around).
If she’s swelling and her appetite is declining I’d say she’s getting close; it’s all in her instincts on what to do. That doesn’t make it less stressful or scary for her though! Keep her comfy, and make sure she gets plenty of fluid intake. She’s gonna yelp, meow, hiss and holler in pain once contractions start, just let her get through it and gently pet her in between the contractions, that helps sometimes too.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Woke up this morning to Willow being sick. She also normally sleeps on my bed at night but spent the first couple of hours in her nest which is a good sign I guess. She also ate a little jelly off the wet kitten food this morning but then walked off….looks like we are heading in the right direction.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Willow started eating again late last night 🤦🏼‍♀️ and of course no kittens.
She has discharge again today, this is what she has had on and off all week.
if my dates are correct which I know they may not be she is 70 days today (not yesterday like I originally said)

I know I have already been given advice to wait
but wanted to make sure this discharge was normal and not something to ignore. I’d hate to just think I’ve got my dates wrong and wait when I should of done something. Thank you all once again.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the discharge bloody, or pinkish? I see red blood in the photo. After a week of discharge labor usually begins.

I think you should get her vet checked to be on the safe side. Frankie1406 Frankie1406

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It’s been a week today so I will get her checked out now. Will keep you updated. Thank you.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All is well.
Vet did a full check and a sonogram. At least 2 maybe 3 healthy kittens, heart beats 200 a min so perfect. One big one is already quite close to cervix.
Willow is fine, they have no concerns other than her cervix maybe open sightly which is why we are seeing the discharge sooner. Temp is in normal
range but on the lower normal.
As we are unsure of the dates if she stays like this, not in distress and no actual blood showing they want to leave her at least another week before doing anything.
Oh and her milk has come in only very slightly so much be a new thing today as I didn’t notice or yesterday.
Vets were lovely, they even knocked £50 off the bill as they knew how worried I was. It was amazing to see them on the scan although it was really only spines and heart flutters I could see.
i half expect her to have them tonight now after all that drama.
thank you so much for your support. I will keep you updated

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**Update**
Willow is still pregnant but her tummy has got even bigger so I’m confident we did have the dates wrong and she is two weeks behind what we thought.
If we calculate she was bang on 3 weeks when I noticed her pinking up, her due date is tomorrow.
Her appetite is back and she seems fine in herself so we are happy to leave her another week and let nature take its course.
Last night I woke up to her scratching around her nesting area and I thought it was time but nope, she definitely keeping us guessing! I will keep you updated.

Attachments

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**Update**
Willows contractions started at 9pm tonight
First kitten born at 11pm. Did come tail and feet first and I did have to assist as it was hanging out for a good while with her pushing with no
Progress so thank you for the link which talked me through that (I was prepared for this as vet said the big kitten was first as she may struggle as Willow is tiny)
Placenta has been eaten and willow cleaned the kitten lovely just waiting for her to settle so it can latch on.
will keep you updated

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey
It’s been nearly three hours since the first kitten was born. No more yet although there is at least another one in there. Her contractions have stopped and she’s not pushing just relaxing looking after the first born so I’m not too concerned.
It’s a feisty one, latched well and has a set of lungs on it. Willow has drank some water and seems fine in herself. Didn’t think we would have such a wait but as long as she isn’t in distress I’m happy to wait with her.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Stayed up until 3am just to be sure and had broken sleep until 6am.
No more as of yet but she got up this morning to eat (she didn’t stop eating at all right up until she started contracting)
She is a very attentive mum. Doesn’t go very far and runs back when it cries.
i will hang out with her in my room today and see what happens 😃

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the additional posts, I just want to get out my worries/thoughts and I have no where else to turn.

Still just one kitten born, but I believe I feel a kitten on each side still and we know for sure there is at least one from the previous sonogram.
I am not seeing the ripples and pokes in her tummy anymore but I think they are moving because the bumps change shapes every time I feel, if that makes sense?
Saw a little bit of pinky discharge this morning, that she is licking and when I look at her or stroke her she is vocal but other than that, no other signs.

Kitten is doing amazing, it’s a girl. White markings identical to Willow but black in colour not grey. Weighed 75g when born and now 100g just under 36 hours later.

Willow is eating and drinking loads and has been for a wee and a poo since the birth so she appears fine, and is doing all she needs to for the kitten.

i know if I go to the vets they will push for a CSection that may not be needed but I’d carry so much guilt if anything happened to the remaining kittens or Willow. The recent stories on here have given me hope to wait but I am terrified of leaving her side because of the struggle she had with the first kitten.
What an emotional rollercoaster 🤦🏼‍♀️😊

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just wait. Your cat sounds fine, and pinkish discharge indicates more labor on the way. The kitten(s) still inside may need the extra few days to develop if they were conceived a few days later. Trust Mother Nature unless your cat is in distress.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I’m boring you all now, still no more kittens. If willow is in distress I will take her to the vets, but how many days should I leave her as she is before getting them involved? 6 days from when the first kitten was born?

She still looks very pregnant although I am concerned I don’t see movement anymore.

I know she definitely stopped contracting when the first kitten came out and didn’t start back up again.

I’m also guessing the odds of the remaining kittens passing away but remaining inside Willow with her showing no signs of illness are very slim so that’s a positive.
I’m also wondering if the ‘big kitten’ closest to the birth canal as the vet said was actually bigger because it was further along.

Anyway I got back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off so I will set up a camera to keep an eye and come back on my lunch breaks to check on them.

Frankie1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update you all.
Still no more kittens.
Willow and kitten are doing great. Kitten has doubled her birth weight.
Willow is still eating loads, drinking and going to the toilet fine. Still seeing the odd pinky discharge and she is still regularly licking down there.
She still looks visibly pregnant. In fact she looks even bigger than before she has the first kitten. I don’t see movement anymore but the lumps and bumps I feel do change shape. She looks and feels more bloated today though.
Stilout hope that nothing is wrong and they are still on their way.