Advice about settling a stray cat...

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a stray - from the streets - two weeks ago. He's a big boy, fully grown, not neutered (yet), unsure of his age and other than some bare patches of skin around his neck, seemingly healthy.

We put a flea collar on him (because that seemed easier than trying to get flea drops on him), did some reading (his own room, etc), and have had him for two weeks.

He's still very nervous of us; I often feed him stuff like chicken by hand to try and associate me with nice things, but he's liable - if I don't read the situation correctly - to savage me. Once my wife sneezed while I was feeding him; he got a fright and left me bleeding. He's big and strong and his claws are sharp. The rest of the family don't approach him; they're frightened after that incident. He spends the day under our bed, and the night downstairs. He eats, uses the litter tray and explores when no-one is around.

My plan was to get him down to the vets once he's settled.

When he's under our bed, he seems okay for me to feed him treats. If I approach him when he's behind the sofa, he hisses at me.

I've read various stuff, such as just leaving food and water out for him, ensuring his trays are clean, and just pretend he's not there.

Tomorrow I'm going to get a 'plug in' I've read about; something that calms cats.

But if anyone has any tips, such as when best to get him neutered, or how to settle him in, I'd love to hear them.

The first pic was taken about a week after we got him and the 2nd pic was yesterday (he looks more relaxed in the 2nd, but still not happy).

https://flic.kr/p/2hzYcet]IMG_7617[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/2hzYbYd]IMG_7623[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, thank you for taking in a homeless stray cat. And congratulations on your new member of the family.

I am a cat foster, so I get new cats often. The best way to incorporate a new cat into your home is to start with a small area. It may seem cruel, but they are very scared in the new environment, and it's best to get them feeling comfortable in a smaller space then exprand gradually. Some outgoing cats though may act like they own the place within 10 mins, but it sounds like your cat is a bit more guarded and shy.

I recommend confining him to a smaller space, i.e. bathroom, a bedroom, and start from there. Put his litter box, water, a hidey bed, and interact him by feeding him every meal yourself. Do not free feed dry food. You can introduce him to toys, treats, and if he's acting unsure, you can just sit by him and read/play on iPad etc, ignoring him but staying close by, so that he realizes that you are not a threat to him.

Once he is calmer and comfortable, you can expand his area a little bit to allow him access to another room. Then go from there. It's completely normal for him to be on high alert and lash out when spooked. He's very very scared. He's not aggressive or mean to hurt you. Take it slow. Keep him in the bathroom for a week and evaluate if he's ready for bigger areas. He'll get used to the house and the people and act more like himself in no time!

In terms of the vet, I'd do it as soon as possible, as intact males can spray, and you don't want pee on your furniture. And make sure you get him vaccinated and snap tested at the vet to ensure that he is healthy.

Good luck, he's beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, nycats; I'll book an appointment with the vets on Monday. We've been lucky; he's only sprayed once since we've had him (so far). Otherwise he uses his litter tray lovely.

I'd be happy keeping him in the one room, but he does creep into our bedroom while we sleep, and sleep under our bed right beneath us. It seems like a retrogressive step to stop him from doing this, so do you think limiting him to the living room (where he normally hides out) and the bedroom, which would also include the stairway too much?

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
interact him by feeding him every meal yourself. Do not free feed dry food. You can introduce him to toys, treats, and if he's acting unsure, you can just sit by him and read/play on iPad etc, ignoring him but staying close by, so that he realizes that you are not a threat to him.
Brilliant, thank you.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
It's really up to you at this point, but as I said, he may acclimate to the house quicker in smaller chunks. It may take him a while longer in bigger space, but he will get used to the area eventually. Perhaps evaluate his progress in week and decide whether or not to limit his space. If he still seems reluctant and hiding most of the time, instead of interacting and seeking attention, I would put him in a smaller room.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smudge was fed breakfast by hand. I wore a glove for the first time since he's got a habit of savaging me; it's not the attack, but after I think I have some allergic reaction and if it's near a joint (like wrist or knuckle), I get a dull ache there; I thought it was arthritis to start with, but it corresponds with the scratches and goes after a day-or-so.

Anyway, he was fine; he sat behind the sofa, a bit of low growling at one point when I put my hand in front of him to eat from it (he prefers I drop it on the floor in front of him) but he enjoyed his cooked chicken breast.

I also learnt he prefers me to keep my hand low to the ground, rather than dangle it in front of him. I guess that's less threatening for a cat.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great! It'll probably take a while for him to feel comfortable. When you took him off the street, you were able to pet him and grab him, right? So he's not feral. It's probably gonna take patience, but you're doing well!

Cooked chicken is definitely very enticing. My cats love it too. Just make sure you also give him some cat food (canned, dry, or raw), as the chicken alone does not have all the vitamins and nutrients he needs. Some on this forum also make their own cat food at home, so you can check that out, if you're interested in cat nutrition section.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
First I'd like to say thanks for taking him in!

I know it can be difficult, but just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. I've had stray cats that were semi-feral that had a hard few years on the street before I took them in. It takes time for them to develop total trust. Sometimes it takes a year, but they do eventually settle in and calm down. Smudge will come around, you'll see!

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it's been nearly a month now and Smudge has improved some. Mornings are my favourite; he hears the alarm clock and emerges from under the bed and gives us the sweetest little meows (contrasted with his deep, growling-purrs - which frighten us, hahaha).

Occasionally he comes out and looks for attention, or is it treats? My wife tells me that he did venture onto the window and fall asleep above a warm radiator; he snored even.

But he's still quite reserved, spends 95% of our waking hours under the bed.

I hand feed him twice a day in his usual 'under the bed' position and he's more comfortable with that; he'll often purr. I throw the food to him; he'll savage me if I get too close. The area under the bed is 'his' and it seems he wants to keep it as his safe space. I'll respect that.

I know I need to take him to the vets to 'get 'em off' and jabs, but I'm unwilling to do so till he's more settled. And I'd have a right fight on my hands too.

Anyway, here's a pic; he's quite a handsome chap.

https://flic.kr/p/2hFAzED]IMG_5366-Edit-Edit[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww what a handsome boy! Progress sounds great! With an adult semi-feral like him, it take a long time to adjust and feel comfortable with indoor life. But the fact he's meowing for food and attention is a very good sign. Once he's more comfortable down the road, it may be a good idea to block under the bed and provide him with alternatives such as a nice tall cat tree, cat cave, or cat shelves to hang out in, instead of being hidden away all the time. I did that with my feral foster, and she hangs out in the open more often now. (After they get used to doing so, you can unblock the under bed space.)

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it may be a good idea to block under the bed and provide him with alternatives such as a nice tall cat tree, cat cave, or cat shelves to hang out in, instead of being hidden away all the time.
That is a brilliant idea; thank you. I've give him another week-or-two and if he's still under there for most of the time, that's what we'll do.

Thanks.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're all laughing at me. I tempted Smudge out from under the bed with some Dreamies cat treats. He was purring and eating them, as I fed him them, one at a time. He was on the bed, rubbing himself around us, on the floor, rubbing his head against us. Purring like mad.

Then I said "That's enough, you're gonna get fatter!" and I closed the bag and went to walk out.

He gave my right leg a quick savaging and ran under the bed.

It's like being on a knife edge with him.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that sounds fantastic! The fact he got on the bed, purred and rubbed on you is huge. I'm sure he panicked a little when he snapped out of the excitement. You're doing great! 😊

• Purraise
Reactions: Wab

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's getting really cheeky in the mornings; waking us up for breakfast. First time this morning he leapt onto our bed (about 5.30 am) and ran straight across us, and then back under the bed.

Then some wandering around the bed with sweet 'meows'. He still frightens us though, even when he lets us stroke him, I'm sure I see flashes of 'attack' in his eyes.

But I'm guessing this little guy isn't going to be respecting the weekend lie-ins.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm booking him in the vets tomorrow.

But he's made some great improvements the past few days. This evening he was all over the bed and my other half, purring, rubbing up against her.

Then he swiped her and ran downstairs.

He likes to keep us on tenderhooks.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he is going to be a great cat, great progress already!

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smudge 'meowed' this morning, letting us know it's breakfast time, so I got up - and he stood close to me - while I pulled on some tracksuit bottoms to get him his food. He followed me to the top of the stairs, waited, and I returned with his filled bowl.

He'd normally then run under the bed to be fed, but he didn't, he just waited near the bed, but out in the open, where I threw the food towards him from about two feet away (I still don't trust him to put the food in front of him; he's had me quite a few times when I've done that).

My daughter was getting ready for work downstairs so he was disturbed by the her noise, and his tail swished from side to side while he ate (which I think means "I'm anxious").

But all of this is great progress.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's now cleaning himself on the window ledge. Which I'm sure is another sign he's becoming more relaxed.

I think this is about the five-week mark.

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's like a different cat today; sociable, talking to us, looking for attention. Walking about with his tail pointed up with a slight curve at the top, or lying on the floor showing us his stomach (the internet tells me this means he's a happy hat).

He still frightens us though.

Building trust works both ways.