Advice About Kitty With Asthma

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty, Ollie, was diagnosed with asthma soon after I adopted him. He was put on oral prednisone initially and it worked well, but my doctor did not want him to continue on it long term. Ollie is only about 15 months old. We switched to fluticasone delivered with the aerokat. He does not like it and struggles a lot. Sometimes trying to give him his treatment would bring on an attack, and I am never sure that he is getting a full dose. He was having four or five 10-15 second spells of wheezing, coughing a day. I went back to the vet and Ollie was put back on oral prednisone. I was told to stop the aerokat for a week and then try and reintroduce it gradually to see if he would adjust to it this time around. The combinaton has helped but Ollie still has about 1 attack a day.

Where can I go from here? Ollie is very lively, sweet, and playful when not coughing. Investigating on the web, I have seen that some people have made a nebulizer chamber out of a plastic storage container and there is even one that is manufactured (www.harleyhex.com). I am wondering whether this is worth trying as an alternative way of delivering the fluticasone.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do short courses of oral prednisolone with Amalie because she doesn't like the Aerokat. If you want to know if your cat has a full dose on the Aerokat *stewart uses it* there is a little green ticky flap between the chamber and the mask that will flick every breath that goes through. We usually watch it for ten tickies.
Amalie is on her meds for about 2 weeks at a time, every 2-3 months. Being on them that infrequently means we don't do blood draws throughout the year to check organ function. The vet is ok with only doing that annually.
And that's the extent of what we use at home. I'm not sure about setting up a nebulizing chamber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Thanks for responding. I know about the little flap, but Ollie struggle so much that I am never able to get him to take 10 breathes before he escapes. I will talk to my ver about doing it 2 weeks every couple of months. Is your kitty completely free of attacks?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It usually starts to show back up after 2 months and then I watch her for frequency until I start her next course. I haven't heard anything out of her since her last course and that ended almost three weeks ago. Eventually it comes back and it goes from once or twice a week to starting to come up just about every day, then I start her back on. We do 1 pill each day for 7 days, and then 1 pill every other day for 5-7 days.