Advice about cat twitching

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I’m looking for advice or input about my youngest cat, Mai. She is two years old, eight pounds, and no ongoing medical issues to speak of. Typically, she is energetic, vocal, fearless, and incredibly playful.

On Thursday night, we noticed that she was slinking around as if something had spooked her. By Friday afternoon, she was hiding under an armchair. I coaxed her out to try to get a look at her, and I noticed that from her hips to her tail, she was spasming—just constant rolling/twitching (along with tail flicking) that she endures for a little bit it before she chews at her tail/flank/feet and runs away as if something is chasing her. She can’t sit still or get comfortable. She is also tucking her tail. We purritoed her to look her over and there are no signs of fleas, no irritated skin or lesions, no dandruff, no swelling. We checked her bottom to make sure there was no irritation or poo stuck in her fur (which sometimes happens since she’s long-haired). Nothing going on that we can see.

I took her to the vet Friday afternoon, where they squeezed us in and gave her a half-hearted exam. Didn’t take her vitals. They checked her over briefly and gave her a Benadryl shot, which didn’t help, so I took her back in to the vet Saturday morning. We weren’t able to see the doctor at all; a tech gave her a depo medrol steroid shot. Today, she is still just as bad. I’ve quarantined her in a room with her food and potty to try to monitor whether she’s using the bathroom. She did go about a quarter-sized amount of pee, but is otherwise not interested in the box or her food. That could be because she doesn’t like being confined, though. I’m going to monitor her in there’s overnight.

Otherwise, she is alert and interested in toys and looking out the window. Eyes and nose are clear.

Has anyone experienced this? What did it turn out to be with your cat? I’m beside myself thinking something is seriously wrong and we are battling with the holiday weekend. I would love any input.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a video of her twitching. This is nearly continuous when it’s happening.

Twitching

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am going to suggest FHS which is feline hyperesthesia syndrome. However, I could also be completely wrong as in your video your cat does not go into the extreme forms of it which are often reached. Your description seems to go further into that area though.

There are a lot of these videos out there and you might want to watch another one and compare.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be FHS - or something similar, from a neurological perspective. However, IMO, FHS is neurological in nature. This came about - as it would seem - suddenly, so that could explain some of her reaction. I would suggest to you that her change in appetite/litter box use is probably from being confined - she doesn't understand.

I would still not rule out fleas, so if she is not on a flea treatment, you should ask your vet about what they recommend an apply one.I Running away from herself, flinching like that, and hiding to get to places where there are not fleas are pretty typical signs. Cats can still be alert and want to play with fleas on them.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are able, I would take her to another vet as soon as possible. If you gently pinch her tail, does she show signs of being able to feel it? Just out of concern it could be nerve damage from an injury. I would also ask a vet to check for signs of paralysis tick. Even if a tick was not found, it can still be possible and symptoms can vary greatly. Hope everything is ok, would love an update. Best of luck!

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of these replies!

I didn’t consider FHS, but given that it came on so abruptly, I didn’t think it was likely. SHe does not self-mutilate or anything, and she is alert while these episodes are happening. No weird vocalizations or anything like that.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I definitely have flea meds on my list of things I need when we get back to a vet. She legitimately looks fine when you examine her skin, but I figure it can’t hurt either to get her a round of them! I did release her from quarantine because I was afraid the stress of being confined might be making it worse. She crunched some food when she got out, and she’s been resting more comfortably since. So when are just trying to monitor from a distance!

S StanAndAlf , she DOES seem to have feeling in her tail/rear end area. I should have mentioned she had her tail amputated due to an injury (degloved tail) as a baby, but I’m so used to it that I didn’t but even think about it. She’s never had issues from that surgery, but I wondered about nerves—like maybe if shes got one pinched or something. I will make note to ask about ticks!

Our plan right now is to monitor her, take her to the emergency vet if she declines at all, and call a different vet first thing on Tuesday morning if she is still behaving oddly. The waiting is just awful. :(

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I took Mai to a different vet this morning, and she is running a fever of 103.8. This is frustrating to me because her regular vet didn’t take her temperature on Friday OR Saturday, and I feel bad that she might have had one this whole time. :( The vet is concerned that her fever is high after being given depo-medrol on Saturday, so we did bloodwork, which thankfully looked good.

She has no real answers about the twitching. Mai looks good on exam. Good skin, clean fur, eyes/ears/nose are clear, bladder isn’t enlarged, she’s eating/drinking/pottying. At this point, she got an antibiotic shot on top of the steroid, and the vet asked me to call them on Friday to give a report. We’ll determine then if we need any next steps.

Please send us good vibes. This kiddo means the world to me, and I hate that she doesn’t feel good.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So glad you went to a different vet! Sending good thoughts to you and Mai for a speedy recovery.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending you the best vibes and hopes for a resolution soon.

I will say though, I almost died when I saw her temperature reading. Where I live we measure in degrees Celsius, so a normal cat temp is around 36. I was shocked 😅

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My FHS boy doesn’t mutilate, doesn’t vocalize, he just twitches and runs away from himself after particularly bad seizure (as that’s probably what it is, partial focal seizure in the back, in his case). It started gradually in his case though.

if that’s indeed FHS, I’d be very careful with flea drops as many of those can be harmful for cats with neurological condition. I’d first make sure he’s thoroughly checked for fleas and take it from there.

my boy receives Gabapentin for this and it helps tremendously. It’s pretty safe drug that I’d consider to use to see if it helps.

However, since Mai has fever too, I’d be very very careful and ask for as much diagnostic as money allows.

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, me again. It hasn’t been nearly two weeks, and Mai is still having some trouble.

We went back to the vet a week after her initial visit to the new doctor, and at that appointment (this past Monday), she had no fever. The twitching on her back and flank have lessened, and she’s no longer hiding, but now she is shaking her head a lot and scratching at her ears. She’s also sounds a little hoarse, and she has been sticking close to the ground (versus climbing her cat tree, the fridge, like usual). She also does this thing where she will walk a few steps, and then lay down like a loaf.

The vet has looked inside her ears with an otoscope twice and sees nothing wrong. Her nose and eyes are also clear, and she’s IS eating/drinking/pottying like normal. She’s just a little lethargic and can’t seem to get comfortable.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Can she have an ear infection that’s NOT visible with an otoscope? I’m thinking of calling the vet back, but I’m not sure what else I should ask them to check out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure how far down the ear canal an otoscope will see. If this is a middle ear infection, that would explain much of her behavior (possible balance issue and lethargy). The hoarseness could play into it, because there might be drainage from the ear via the eustachian tubes into the throat. This could also be the result of polyps in the middle ear canal, rather than an actual infection - but that is just a guess on my part.

I would call the vet back, tell them what is going on, and ask what should be tested/done next.

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her in for tomorrow afternoon!

I meant to mention that she is yawning a LOT, too. Not like she's sleepy, but to me, it reminds me of when I have a stuffy ear and am trying to pop it. I feel like I'm being a helicopter, but I also feel like something just isn't right and she literally depends on me to be attentive to that.

I wish they could tell us what hurts. It would make things a lot easier. lol

kayleebri1010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet. The good news is that Mai is still fever-free. Considering her temperature was 103.8 (and we don't know how high it might have been before that), I am incredibly relieved, and at this point, the vet doesn't think her issues are viral.

That said, I'm afrustrated because we still don't really know what the issue is. Mai looks great on paper and physically. Like I said before: she eats/drinks/potties, no vomiting/diarrhea, her ears/nose/eyes look clear and clean, and her skin is fine. Currently, her issues are that she keeps shaking her head and scratching at her ears, she walks a few steps and then loafs, licks her lips/yawns a lot, and doesn't like being up high like she used to.

The vet has decided to treat her for allergies, so for the next two weeks, she'll be on prescription allergy food and allergy meds, in addition to the flea meds we gave her. If she isn't back to normal (or significantly improved) after that, we will likely be referred to a neurologist.

Please send me good vibes. I'm so ready for her to be back to herself, and I hope she starts improving soon!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
:hugs: Please keep us posted. I think that you are following the right course and if she were my cat, I would consult a neurologist. The odd thing about that is that while they usually charge more, possibly as an office fee (Jamie's cardiologist charges about $150 for just going in) they often can get to the root of the problem so much more quickly that you often are ahead of the game.