Advantage II versus Frontline Plus?

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Southern Indiana, United States of America
Hey everyone. I am needing to get Precious on a flea control medicine again since it is getting warm out and fleas are already a problem. The thing is, I am on a very limited budget and so I want to save as much money as possible. I know that both Advantage II and Frontline Plus kill all life stages of fleas which is a good thing and pretty much a requirement for me unless someone can advise me differently. My main concern is definitely safety for Precious but I know that Frontline Plus is safe and she has had it before. Advantage II I am not sure about but I imagine it is safe as it seems to be rather popular and I think veterinarians sell it too. The other main concern is cost. What do you all recommend?

Also, Precious is an exclusively indoor only cat. She does get wet from time to time so it needs to at least be water resistant although her getting wet can be avoided. She is a 7 1/2 year old Domestic Short Hair and she is a spayed female. The only preexisting medical conditions that she has is chronic allergies.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your just looking for basic flea control and have no worries about ticks, then Advantage II is fine. Frontline plus has the added protection against ticks and lice.

This is an issue I am actually going to be bringing up with my own vet when my newest cat is due for another treatment. He had an allergic reaction to the Frontline plus where it made him scratch himself raw at the application site and he had to be put on pred. Vet mentioned Revolution may be tried next, but I'm not sure he really needs all that Revolution kills and protects against.

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey this is a care question it just happens to involve kitten so it doesn't belong in the pregnancy and kitten care and kitten care area. When do you put flea and tick meds on a cat after having a kitten cause I just want to make sure cause there are cats that sneek in from outside and we have 3 dogs that go in and out. Plus people keep leaving the doors open so I wouldn't even know what is getting in. My cat is afraid to go down stairs cause of all the ruckus from 4 kids and 4-7 adults at once(we got a friend staying with us for a little bit and me and my bf are trying to get our own place so that she doesn't have to be scared to go outside the room). I'm just doing the flea and tick meds as precousion so how soon please cause I am really wanting to know since both her and her baby are my babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your just looking for basic flea control and have no worries about ticks, then Advantage II is fine. Frontline plus has the added protection against ticks and lice.

This is an issue I am actually going to be bringing up with my own vet when my newest cat is due for another treatment. He had an allergic reaction to the Frontline plus where it made him scratch himself raw at the application site and he had to be put on pred. Vet mentioned Revolution may be tried next, but I'm not sure he really needs all that Revolution kills and protects against.
I am not certain what the answer is but I am suspecting that since she is exclusively an indoor cat, she doesn't really need tick and lice protection, right? Also, she does not come into contact with animals that have been outside.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would go with the advantage ii, I have found that fleas seem to have some tolerance against frontline and it is not very effective.

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally would go with the advantage ii, I have found that fleas seem to have some tolerance against frontline and it is not very effective.
Thanks! Do you know whether or not I need to worry about tics and lice since she is exclusively indoor only and doesn't come into contact with animals that have been outside?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the same experience....vet gave me frontline....didnt work.  Advantage did work.  I'm going to try just using the food grade diatemacous earth this year and avoid the chemicals if I can.

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Being indoor only I would not worry about lice and tics.
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.

Now, if I could just find a veterinarian that sells the stuff. The two clinics that I go to and am familiar with don't offer it. I really don't want to buy it online but I guess could if I have to.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a petsmart or petco near you they sell it, even the walmart here has it in stock sometimes.

meowgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading a lot of threads and personal stories they both seem to work, but people prefer one more than the other. I did a quick search online and found a comparison between Frontline vs Advantage: http://deviceraters.com/frontline-vs-advantage/

I usually choose personal reviews over what the vet tells me what to choose. I think I may go with advantage first then frontline.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started using Advantage II on my in-the-house cats in early spring and have been very pleased with it. It works and no one has had a negative reaction. I do purchase it online at a reputable pet supply. Fipronil, the active ingredient for adult fleas in Frontline, is still my favorite for the outdoor cats for a number of reasons; odorless (cats don't even know I put it on them), price, effectiveness against chewing lice and off-label moderate effectiveness against ear mites (not as good as Revolution, but certainly cheaper). 

carol stephens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get a cheaper versions of either one of these 2 flea medications on ebay , i buy mine there.  Petlock11 is the same exact ingredients as advantage11 and petlock plus is exactly like frontline plus.  I have been using Sentry Fiproguard Plus, same as frontline plus, but i'm going to switch to Petlock plus , I can get 6 months worth for around $14.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I paid 40 bucks for 4 months.. 2 left I am going to use them on both cats tomorrow advantage is like 80 bucks, as long as I have these 2 think i am going to use them.. thanks for the input