Adult male cat grabs kitten by scruff

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 4 year old Ragdoll brothers. I also have two Siamese kittens (22 week boy and 19 week girl). The four of them love each other. They sleep together, groom each other, play together.

Last night, my larger male Ragdoll, Jack, was playing with Freya, the smaller little Siamese girl. Then I saw him try to drag her off by the scruff of her neck. I instantly stopped him.

What does this mean? I've never read about this in all of cat behavior books that I've read. Any ideas?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FedLawyer

I have two 4 year old Ragdoll brothers. I also have two Siamese kittens (22 week boy and 19 week girl). The four of them love each other. They sleep together, groom each other, play together.
That should make them decent sized kittens correct? The reason I ask is they are large enough to "know" danger/not be an easy target.

Last night, my larger male Ragdoll, Jack, was playing with Freya, the smaller little Siamese girl. Then I saw him try to drag her off by the scruff of her neck. I instantly stopped him.
In my experience from working in shelters and fostering many cats I have not seen this behavior to be cause for alarm. As long as your male Ragdoll was holding the kitten as a female cat would

The only time I have ever seen issues with castrated male cats and kittens is when they go for the kitten as if it was prey. Like go for the kittens throat.

In all fairness my DSH Shadow is a spayed female and has tried to kill all my cats when they where younger/smaller. So gender as you can see is not a determining factor.

What does this mean? I've never read about this in all of cat behavior books that I've read. Any ideas?
The reason you do not hear about it in books is because it is not a terribly common male cat behavior. But like I said nothing I would be alarmed at. As always just keep an eye on the male cats when they "practice" motherhood