Adult Cat Vaccinations

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I already feel bad about typing this because I feel like I'm a bad cat Daddy. My 1 year old Jiggy has never had her shots and she is an indoor/outdoor cat. I've booked her in to get her F3 and FIV shots tomorrow and the vet nurse recommended that I bring her back in two more times over the next 4 weeks for the same 2 shots. Is that normal? I've read several articles that say kittens usually need 3 series of F3 but adult cats should only have 2? I'm so confused as I'm not sure if I am being ripped off or if that is the norm? It's $130 for both vaccines so that's $390 in total. Just wanting some opinions regarding this.

Please don't hate on me for not getting her vaccinated earlier; life and financial difficulties got in the way :(

Edit: I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if the vaccination guidelines are globally the same.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the US, but the composition of the vaccines is the same worldwide, so I would think that the timeline would be similar as well. This article from UC Davis does a nice job outlining the recommended vaccine timelines: Vaccination Guidelines for Dogs and Cats | School of Veterinary Medicine

For cats older than four months of age, the F3 (called FVRCP in the US- the inoculation against feline herpesvirus 1, calicivirus, and panleukopenia), it is a total of three shots: two initial doses given 3-4 weeks apart, followed by a booster 6-12 months later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the US, but the composition of the vaccines is the same worldwide, so I would think that the timeline would be similar as well. This article from UC Davis does a nice job outlining the recommended vaccine timelines: Vaccination Guidelines for Dogs and Cats | School of Veterinary Medicine

For cats older than four months of age, the F3 (called FVRCP in the US- the inoculation against feline herpesvirus 1, calicivirus, and panleukopenia), it is a total of three shots: two initial doses given 3-4 weeks apart, followed by a booster 6-12 months later.
Wow, thanks so much for the swift reply! So do you think what the vet nurse has recommended me is pretty in line with the standards?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad she has you!, and it does sound as though what they've prescribed is fairly normal although if you wanted to, you could double-check with another vet since your kitty is considered an adult cat and might only need a booster in the future after the second shot.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I added a note to my post above, I don't know if you saw that, where I'm wondering if the third shot maybe can be a booster given in the future for your kitty.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FIV vaccine isn't recommended. It's not very effective, only covers a few strains, and will make your cat test positive for FIV forever (which may get her put down if she ever ends up at a shelter). FIV isn't easily transmitted and spayed/neutered cats are at very low risk.

You may want to vaccinate her against Feline Leukemia, though, since she goes outside.

Is she spayed? I mean, I think you'd have about 10 kittens by now if she wasn't, but just wondering. That's really the most important thing.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
The FIV vaccine isn't recommended. It's not very effective, only covers a few strains, and will make your cat test positive for FIV forever (which may get her put down if she ever ends up at a shelter). FIV isn't easily transmitted and spayed/neutered cats are at very low risk.

You may want to vaccinate her against Feline Leukemia, though, since she goes outside.

Is she spayed? I mean, I think you'd have about 10 kittens by now if she wasn't, but just wondering. That's really the most important thing.
Yes she is spayed and thanks for the information. I'm going to be asking alot of questions tomorrow now that's for sure!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that's very odd; this says that FIV is very common in Australia. I wonder what's different there. Although it does point out that the vaccine isn't very effective. Well, considering the high rate of FIV in the area, even a little protection might be better than none, but you have to decide if she's high risk enough to justify it.
What are Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and Feline Leukaemia (FeLV) and how do I protect my cat from them? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
Thanks for finding that article.. I'm more confused now so I will probably call a few vets and see what the general consensus is.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'd like to provide an update as I have a question!

Jiggy got her F3 and FIV shot on Monday 14th Jan.
She then got an FIV booster today which is Tuesday 29th Jan because of a public holiday we had yesterday I couldn't do Monday. She is then scheduled for her final boosters of F3 and FIV however the F3 is not exactly four weeks after the first shot. It is one day over. Does that matter? I forgot to ask the vet and they're now closed. I think I'm being ridiculous and a total worry wart but I just wanted some clarification and ease of mind. Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 day over is fine. Also remember that since she is vaccinated against FIV she will now always test positive for it. So remember this. If god forbid you ever rehome her, or since she is outdoors, if someone picks her up and takes her home or to the vet. She doesn't have it but the test will say she does. Many shelters and people euthanize cats who test positive for it and now she will. This is why most vets don't vaccinate for it. Plus FIV isn't easily spread like FeLV is. Why did they opt for FIV and not FeLV vaccine? An outdoor cat should have the FeLV vaccine.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
1 day over is fine. Also remember that since she is vaccinated against FIV she will now always test positive for it. So remember this. If god forbid you ever rehome her, or since she is outdoors, if someone picks her up and takes her home or to the vet. She doesn't have it but the test will say she does. Many shelters and people euthanize cats who test positive for it and now she will. This is why most vets don't vaccinate for it. Plus FIV isn't easily spread like FeLV is. Why did they opt for FIV and not FeLV vaccine? An outdoor cat should have the FeLV vaccine.
Apparently, the vet said that FIV is more prevalent in Victoria, Australia than FeLV. For now though, I am slowly transitioning her to become more of an indoor cat. Currently, I'll let her out after dinner for a few hours to do her business and call her back inside instead of letting her free roam until 2-3am.

Also, the vet claims that if she was to ever end up in a shelter god forbid, that there are new tests available which can differentiate FIV and an FIV vaccinated cat but I'm abit skeptical about that.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps things are different in Australia. Sorry I didn't see that you are located there. This is what I know from shelter/vet medicine in the US. Maybe there is something new out there. I would be very curious to ask the vet what that test is called that can differentiate between them and to provide some back up on that claim. And send it to the US bc I have never heard of anything like it! :)

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps things are different in Australia. Sorry I didn't see that you are located there. This is what I know from shelter/vet medicine in the US. Maybe there is something new out there. I would be very curious to ask the vet what that test is called that can differentiate between them and to provide some back up on that claim. And send it to the US bc I have never heard of anything like it! :)
You know what? I will remember to ask at Jiggy's next visit in two weeks and will report back on what the vet says! She seemed very, very educated and knowledgeable and didn't hesitate to answer any questions I had! (That I could remember lol)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think one day over isn’t a problem. The four weeks thing is a recommendation/guideline, but as long as you’re around there, you should be good to go. :)