adult cat not adjusting to new kitten

catlover88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 5-yr old female, Princess, is not adjusting to our 4-mo old rescue kitten, Cori, over the past five weeks.

Worst is that she has now not eaten for a couple of days and wants nothing to do with anyone.  Won't play and doesn't like being touched, etc.  She just stares and frankly, looks depressed.  I am concerned and frankly, don't know what to do.  Any suggestions?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it has anything to do with the kitten.  It's been 5 weeks and if they aren't fighting, then I call it a win.  I tell people not to aim for them to be best friends, but just to peacefully co exist.  And anything else is just icing on the cake.  It seems to me if they are peacefully coexisting, it isn't the kitten.  She needs to see her vet asap!!!  Seriously, not eating and not wanting to be touched are signs of pain or illness and she needs to be checked now. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

I agree that when introducing cats we need to keep our expectations under check. Not all cats will become friends, just like not all humans can become friends.

That said, I am concerned about Princess not eating. It can be stress-induced but that doesn't make a lot of sense considering the kitten has been around for five weeks now. It is possible that the overall stress has weakened her immune system or has otherwise made her sick. That would fit your description of her seeming depressed and not eating, particularly as it's happening several weeks after the arrival of the new kitten.

Here are a few articles we have about stress in cats, but I do think you need to call your vet today and tell him/her that she's not been eating for two days. Not eating on its own can be dangerous for cats and I believe your cat will want to see her today.

How to Tell if Your Cat is Stressed Out

Six Surefire Strategies to Reduce Stress in Cats

Potential Stressors in Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

Do let us know how she's doing!

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive seen the not eating behaviors before when introducing a new kitten, but it usually happens immediately. Only rarely does it happen later into the introduction. If she was getting along at any point with the kitten it's probably something wrong with Princess.

I would third the opinion to get her to a vet to get checked out.