Adult cat in pain - what to do until Monday vet visit?

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 25lb 9 year old neutered male cat is showing signs of pain. He's not acting himself socially and he hisses when I handle his middle. I have 3 cats, and my first impression is that the litter box is "typical" but I don't know for certain that he's pooping and peeing. He hasn't asked to be picked up in the last 24 hours (unusual for him), doesn't purr when I pet him (also unusal), and hasn't even followed me into the bathroom (cat people know how weird that is).
I'm taking a personal day Monday to take him to the vet first thing (which he passionately hates, and has never taken in good spirits even when well). But I'd appreciate any advice for relieving his discomfort until then.

Update: it's 2:00 in the morning and I got up and scooped litter boxes (as one does???) and saw my boy make a deposit right after. There were 3 peanut M&M sized units, typical to maybe very slightly soft in texture. It struck me as very small for a grown cat, but I've got it in a cooler now so the vet can see it in 35.5 hours. In a multi-cat household I may not get another known sample, so I'm feeling fortunate to have captured one even if it's outside of the ideal 24 hour window.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If your cat cannot urinate, he won’t make it until Monday. It is extremely important that he goes to an emergency hospital if you are not able to tell if he can urinate or not.

There are no human medications you can give him for pain. If he cannot urinate, nothing will help except getting him to a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any specific reason to think he hasn't been peeing, just hadn't visually verified that he is because he shares 5 litter boxes with 2 other cats. He is acting a little better. He is eating fine, and laying in sunshine, but not his normal social (and demanding) self. I found a sore under his tail. I'm no expert but it looks (and smells) like possibly an abscessed anal gland. As a bottle baby, he's creepily comfortable with me washing his bum. So I cleaned it up and put some Chlorhexidine spray on it. He has since come up once and asked for a little attention, so I'm hoping he's improving. Will still see vet first thing in the morning and hopefully get more answers then.