Adoption question

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about adopting a kitten or a cat from Petsmart. Has anyone done this? what is the procedure? I know that most require the landlords telephone number but there is a problem for me with this, My landlord is never home (gone from ealry morning to late at night like 10:00 pm) and the days he is not at work is on Saturday, the sabbath and I dont want anyone pestering him on the sabbath, and the only person they are going to get during the day is his mother who doesnt speak any english. My landlord has no problem with my cats and said we could even have dogs so I know there would be no problem with a new kitten or cat but how do I let the adoption agency know that there is no problem? I am concerned I will not be approved for adoption because they will not be able to reach my landlord. If anyone has any advice it is greatly appreciated. For anyone who has actually adopted through Petsmart, I would be interested to know what the procedure is. Thanx in advance.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually Petsmart uses a local rescue or shelter. Check with the Petsmart by you to see who they use. Then get in contact with that org and go from there. Maybe they'll take a note from the landlord saying its OK. Or show in your lease agreement that you're allowed to have pets.

If they do require to speak with your landlord, let him know to expect the phone call in advance. I'm sure he'll take the time to phone them back as soon as he can.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

I am concerned I will not be approved for adoption because they will not be able to reach my landlord. If anyone has any advice it is greatly appreciated.
I´m so sorry I have not experience in what you need infomation

But Certainly I can to wish you Good Luck with the Adoption process to you can get the Goal!

Keep us up dated about it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are approved for adoption do you take the kitten home the same day or do you have to come back a different day to pick them up?

I wonder if I could bring my lease and pictures of my current cats to prove to them that animals are allowed in my apartment.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only speack for what I have seen ... Usually after approval it is 24-48 hours before kitty comes home.... I would take your lease and a note from your landlord with contact info with good times to reach him... I nearly lost my Gigi due to the delay of landlord issues ( was on leased land) she was almost adopted by another family I made it with minutes to spare ...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We adopted Carly through PetsMart. The application was actually to a rescue group near here. Check with the store and see if you can talk to the shelter directly. I'm thinking as mentioned before, a copy of the lease and a note from the landlord should be good. The main thing they want to avoid is you having to return the kitten because of leasing issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to go this weekend and see how it goes. I'll bring my lease and my landlords Phone number and just let them know the situation. Hopefully they wont give me too much trouble if they cannot get a hold of my landlord. I hesitate to bother him with this becasue he is REALLY busy. If I worked that hard I would probably die, he is always on the go, NEVER at home. I'll bring pictures of my two cats and the area where they live including all my cat trees, (I currently have 4) and hopfully that will be enough.

Does anyone know if they are wormed? Have they been tested for FIV and Leukimia? Are they usually neutered?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I am going to go this weekend and see how it goes. I'll bring my lease and my landlords Phone number and just let them know the situation. Hopefully they wont give me too much trouble if they cannot get a hold of my landlord. I hesitate to bother him with this becasue he is REALLY busy. If I worked that hard I would probably die, he is always on the go, NEVER at home. I'll bring pictures of my two cats and the area where they live including all my cat trees, (I currently have 4) and hopfully that will be enough.

Does anyone know if they are wormed? Have they been tested for FIV and Leukimia? Are they usually neutered?
they usually have all shots and are S/N if old enough

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Abby from Petsmart she actually came from Animal Control. She wasn't spayed, but I had to sign a form saying she would be. She had been tested for FELV/FIV, and dewormed. I had to take her in for her shots, but they gave me a form to give to the vet and I didn't pay for the vet visit, just the treatments. I took her home right away. They gave me some free food, litter, a litter box, and lots of coupons for various other items. Other than the fact that Abby eventually tested positive for Felv (she was one of those rare kitties to test negative for it for a long time), the experience was great and I'd do it again.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It will depend on the group that has the kittens/cats as to what shots they have received and whether they spay/neuter. You may want to go and talk to the group this weekend about their requirements and then go back in and adopt.

Katie