Adoption fee

hodgesC1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn’t sure what thread to post this under. I have two 8.5 week old kittens I’m looking to find homes for. I’m going to try my best to keep them together. They’re both females, have been dewormed, treated for fleas, weaned,and received their FVRCP vaccine. I’m not sure what to charge for the pair, I don’t want it to be too low and raise the risk of them not getting a good home or worse.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did the vet bills cost?

It would not be out of line to ask the person adopting your kittens to pay that much or, at least, a share of that amount.

When we adopted Casper, the adoption fee was $50.00. They wanted to waive the fee for Casper but I insisted on paying, anyhow. It was the best $50.00 I ever spent on a cat! ;)

Remember the old saying: "Men value most those things which come at a cost."

In other words, if something is free, people won't care about it but, if you charge money for it, people will suddenly think it's important.

Even if you only charged a $1.00 adoption fee, people will think more of adopting your kittens than if you gave them away for free. Further, by charging money, you automatically exclude the wankers who wouldn't take care of them. Only people who care enough to take good care of them will want to pay.

There's no reason why you can't negotiate the fee with the person adopting your kittens.

Set the adoption fee at $50.00 but, if you like the people who want to adopt your kittens, you can lower the fee.
If you don't like them because you don't think they will take care of your kittens, stand firm at $50.00.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From personal experience, the rescue charges $200 for a kitten — includes, vets exams, at least one if not 2. shots, neutering, deworming: and any extra fees it may incur. Food, litter , etc.

An adult is around $150. Same stuff done.

If a bonded pair, price is decreased. Also for seniors.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you mean they’ll be looking for a new home in 4-6 weeks when they’re the appropriate age.
they should also be neutered before being rehomed to ensure no ‘accidents’ happen in the future.
charge whatever the vet bills cost for their adoption fee.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
We charge $75 for kittens, $100 for pairs. If the person has adopted from us before, we discount it to $50.

Everyone leaves us spayed/neutered, with rabies, FVRCP, deflead (and sent home with one month of Revolution), dewormed (including for parasites like giardia and coccidia), microchipped, FIV/FeLV tested, and general wellness check up by a vet.

We also send them with a favorite blanket or bed they and their siblings/buddies used, toys, a cat tunnel, and some food and litter they're used to so the adopter can slowly transition if they choose.

We also send home a pamphlet of instructions and what to expect when bringing them home, information on basic cat care, food info, litter box and scratching prevention and solutions, signs of illness, injury, and stress to look out for, and recommendations of various toys, scratchers, window perches, treats etc that are popular with most cats (and we specifically mark any that we know the cat being adopted really likes).

We also include resources like certain Facebook groups and thecatsitesite.com as resources owners can utilize to ask specific questions about cat behavior, health, or various recommendations for cat products.

** I also want to echo what another user said - it is WELL worth it to have the kitten fixed prior to adoption. Look into low cost spay/neuter clinics near you!