Adoption Blues

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So our first "real litter" (I put it in quotation marks because there was only one kitten from our first litter, and he went to my mother in law so I get to see all the time!! Which I LOVE!!) started to go to their forever homes on Friday. We still have one kitten left, that will leave today.

As soon as I closed the door after each one of my kittens left for their new forever homes, I cried. Like full on ugly cried...

I feel pretty confident that I chose some pretty amazing people for them to spend their lives with, but my house feels so empty and quiet now.

Like I watched these little guys being born, I helped raise them for the last 13 weeks...I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not really that long, but I have become so accustomed to the constant noise and chatter and running and jumping...

The adopters have been pretty good about sending me pictures and updates, which is nice but I still miss them :(

I knew from the time they were born that this day was inevitable, but it's still hard. I kind of understand how people get into animal hoarding situations (I am not at all saying that this is what is going to happen!! My hubby would kill me lol). But it's super hard to let go.

Sorry for the suck fest... I thought maybe people with some more experience would have some tips/tricks about how to deal with adoption blues....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, hop on over to a shelter and love on some babies? LoL --I don't know if that'll help or make it worse! But maybe some puppy or young, or even old, dog time. They're always so grateful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice :)

we have 4 adult cats and two doggies that I have been smothering excessively with love (actually I think they might be getting sick of all the attention lol )

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. Each litter is very difficult for me and worse for my husband! He would keep them all if he could!! I love each and every one of the kittens, but try to steal myself to parting with the ones I decide are not the 'keepers'. A certain amount of grief (and I believe that is what it is) is understandable. It does seem to get easier to bear the longer they are gone, especially if the new owners send photos and you see the kitten happy and healthy. I tell myself that I am making someone else happy with my babies.