Adoption Age

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, all,

I know that the current recommendation is for kittens to be adopted out at 10-12 weeks (but the later the better). There are a lot of comments on this site expressing surprise about how people have adopted kittens "so young" (8-9 weeks). But in my area (DC/MD/VA metropolitan region), both the smaller rescues and the SPCA generally abide by the 8-week guideline. I've actually never seen a rescue say that they will only adopt out after 10 weeks.

Is this a regional thing? Are the rescues around here just slow to catch on?

My babies were 8 weeks when I got them from a respected rescue, but they were also motherless.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it does vary by region greatly. In my area the criteria is the kitten or puppy must be spayed or neutered. Which means at least two pounds and generally at least 8 weeks. Other areas near me do the age only.... but their age estimate could be off. From what I've seen, government run is 8 weeks or spayed/neutered while non profit rescues are closer to 12 weeks unless they are orphans. Then it seems spayed/neutered age if going to a home with other cats and a little older for socializing time with a foster parent if the new home doesn't have other cats.

We do have a good number of "free to good home" or found kittens on this site. One of mine was found in a box at, we think, four weeks old. Another was given to me at what I was told 8 weeks old but my vet estimated was closer to 4-5 weeks old.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The main reason for adopting kittens out later is so they stay with their mother longer to be socialized. Rescue kittens with no mother are a different situation. Rescues generally let them go as soon as they're eating solid food and peeing and pooping on their own. They should be old enough to get their first shots but that doesn't always happen.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, shelters let them go asap because they usually have a mile long wait list for more cats who need to come into the shelter.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the 2 lb/2 mo rule instead of the 3 lb/3 mo rule that others choose. I guess I never noticed because I don't usually take them in that young or seek out youngsters. If they are young big enough to get fixed, that would keep the turnover going at the facility they were staying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The rescue I adopted mine from lets them go at 8 weeks. They have a lot of orphaned kittens, like mine. The local SPCA has the same guidelines.

Mine were not spayed or neutered, but I signed a contract that I would get it done before they were 6 months old (and I did, of course). They had gotten their first round of vaccines, and the contract stipulated a timeframe for their remaining shots.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12 weeks is the ideal age, one that should be observed if you own the mother cat. Shelters have to do what they have to do and can't always follow ideals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
12 weeks is the ideal age, one that should be observed if you own the mother cat. Shelters have to do what they have to do and can't always follow ideals.
Yes, I was mainly wondering if it was already the norm in other regions (meaning that mine is just behind).