Adopting Overweight Cat

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I’m considering adopting this two year old boy. He is over 20 pounds and it is not muscle. The rescue is working on getting some weight off him and his vet appointment did not discover any weight related illnesses yet. Since he’s so young do you all think we can avoid diseases from the weight like arthritis and diabetes? He is currently in a room with other adoptable cats and my two loved having a temporary playmate when my son had to bring his female for a few weeks. I guess my other question is how hard is it to introduce three males to each other?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't difficult to get weight down on a cat. The key is to go very slowly because of the possibility of a serious liver issue if the cat loses weight to quickly. You will need to know what his ideal weight is and don't go below 15 calories per pound of his ideal weight.

Introducing adult cats is also a slow process. They may not become best buddies but usually it is possible to get them to a point of peaceful coexistence. Here are a couple of articles explaining the process How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Even with doing it right and being patient there will probably be some hissing. Hissing is just a cat telling another animal to back off and give them more space.