Adopting Out An Fiv+ Cat

Brian K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I look after a group of cats that live around a local bank. Most are feral, one in particular is sweet and you can tell was at one time owned or around humans. 2 weeks ago I noticed she could not walk and had a laceration on her leg. I picked her up, took her to our local vet and she had a fever. They gave me antibiotics for the wound and I took her home with me and quarantined her in a bedroom/bathroom combo area. We applied 2 rounds of revolution, she instantly figured out how to use the litter box, she ate, drank and rested. She cuddles, purrs is sweet as anything and seems SO happy to be safe and sound.

...So we took her for her follow up appointment and had already lined up a home for her. Then she tests positive for FIV. The person who was going to take her backed out, we already have 3 cats and can not take anymore full time. It pains me to have to let her go back outside again. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any organizations or anything that can help in this situation?

I fully realize all the stigmas about FIV are not accurate or true but convincing an adopter of that is not easy. I'm in a bind here, but I want to try and find her a home. She is precious.
IMG_0047.JPG
f

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where are you located, and what organizations have you already tried to contact?

Tbh, anyone who rejects a cat for FIV+ is probably not a good owner anyway - not that helps any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brian K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. I took her for treatment to First Coast No More Homeless Pets and to my local vet. I doubt I will have the heart to let her go. I will probably keep her in my bedroom/bathroom area as a foster cat, and if I can't get anyone I will probably make her my own indoor/outdoor cat when we get a new home next year. Ideally I think she would be perfect in a house that already has 1 FIV cat, but I don't know if there is a group to find such a home/situation. She is the sweetest thing. There is nothing feral about her.

Brian K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, her ear is tipped, so she's already been fixed, last week we did her first round of booster shots, she is FEV negative and she will be getting all her shots to get caught up within 2 weeks. I'm paying for all of it. And her foot is healed. Fever is gone. There is nothing "sick" about her. Shame a stupid test is such a label/stigma

Brian K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone knows anyone within a few hours of me who might be a fit, I would happily deliver her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello semi-neighbor - I am in Orlando.

She looks like - and sounds like - such a sweetie! Have you tried web sites like Next Door Neighbor, or various rescue web sites? Perhaps even vet offices, local rescue shelters, a local SPCA office?

I mention the Next Door Neighbor site because when my neighbor and I were taking care of a couple of abandoned strays, another neighbor who is involved in a local rescue center privately messaged me and offer her time/services to help. As a result, the one cat has been adopted, and the other is unfortunately still being cared for because she ended up having kittens. It may not result in anything, but, it can't hurt trying.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad how a FIV positive test is a death sentence for many cats. Bless you for being her guardian. Where I live the local humane society takes them in and adopts them out. They are an amazing organization. I caught a poor abandoned cat last winter I named him Murphy. They were full so asked me to foster him for a month or two. Eventually they took him and and found him and another boy he bonded with at the humane society a wonderful home. He was such a sweet boy his new owner posts pictures of the two boy on instagram. It looks like they were one of the lucky ones Laura Brewer (@lrmass) • Instagram photos and videos

Brian K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's fantastic. Thank you for sharing! I'm hoping for a similar happy ending.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked with no kill shelters in your area. I know of three in this area that keep FIV positive cats and look for homes for them. One of them is also a TNR group. They look for homes for cats like the one you have, they aren't feral but were within a colony. They have a number of FIV kitties in their shelter.