Adopting kitty triplets

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. my husband and i are adopting  3  18month old brothers. We were told that they were born in the same sac. is this rare? Can't wait to get them on Saturday.... yay

I just want to know as much as i can about these lovely boys... we are going out today to get beds, toys, litter boxes, and we are picking then up from the cat rescue tomorrow... then we'll find what type of litter, food etc they like... we are sooooo excited...

thank you for any and all information,

kindest egards

tinagirl.

Last edited by a moderator:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Wow three in one sack - now that is rare !!!

Make sure you post some pictures of them so we can all see how beautiful they are :D
It's going to be fun having THREE teenage boy kitties in the house - say goodbye to the peace and quiet and great ready for the play fighting, chasing and general chaos LOL :lol3: :flail:

Good luck with your kitties and don't forget pictures ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww... Thanks gemsgem... Thank you for being so welcoming. I have always had cats, and our last kitty passed away about 9 months ago. We always have taken the ones that are hard to place. We saw the 3 black kitties on a good site, and thought that they did'nt need to separated if possible. We phoned today and are picking them up on Saturday. We were told that black cats are harder to place as well as 3 of them...but we were also told they were delivered in the same sac. I don't know if thats rare or not, but it does'nt matter ..... they are ours now!!!!!!!!!!!     :)

I'll get pictures as soon as they are settled in and calm.... so so excited!!!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm sorry about your last kitty. We have a rainbow bridge page where you can write tribute to your cat :rbheart:

Your right about black cats being hard to adopt out as people don't think they are as pretty as other cats - which is totally wrong !!! I love beautiful black cats :rbheart:

I wonder if all being from the same sack makes them identical ??

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again!!   Yes, it was tough losing Phillip, he lost his half brother a year before. Phillip finally succumbed to dementia and Terrance ( his half brother) succumbed to complications arising from diabetes. When i feel i can, i definately post their pictures. We had them  15 years and they were so bonded to each other.. even though they were'nt from the same litter. Phillip was an orange and white DSH and Terrance was an Ocicat.  They were definately  BFF's.... We took them from someone who was going to seperate  them even though they were so bonded.

Now its time to give other kitties a good home with tons of love, patience and ear plugs!!!!!!!!

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oops, i heard that people are still supersticious of black kitties and these ones are all black. I was also wondering how rare it is to be from one sac  and if they would be identical triplets???

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss of Terrance and Phillip (LOVE the names).

Congrats on the new herd. l'll look forward to lots of pictures.

Last edited:

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Andrya for the kind words for Terrance and Phillip. I am afraid the names aren't too original.. they come from the t.v. show South park. But being from Canada as well, and with their purrsonalities... the names suited them very well.... I will post pics of them one of these days....miss them terribly.. yeah... 3 18month old kitties.... oh oh.. its gonna be a fun ride!!!!!!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope some breeders can help you with your question, that is so exciting! Please post some pictures as soon as you can, I would LOVE to see them. My Burt was identical in coloring and size with his brother and I always called them 'twins', I really think they were! Good luck and I pray you have many happy years with your

brood'!

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Di and Bob;

Thank you for being so welcoming! I always knew that pet lovers were the best!!!!!! We are so excited to get the boys tomorrow... the cat rescue called us and told my husband that the foster family/cat rescue has taken them to the vet, they checked out fine and funnily enough .. 2 of them have a front bottom little tooth that is slightly loose. The same tooth of all things!! The vet doesn't expect any difficulties, but to watch for any sensitivities or favoring one side of the mouth although not likely.  We feel really lucky that we are in the postion of not having any other pets right now, and also both of us work from home, so they will have lots of companion time. Also, family lives 10 minute walk from here, so if needed, we have cat sitters!!!!!

Thanks for being so kind, and as soon as i can, i will post triplet shots... gosh, can you imagine a christmas card family photo????...

xo tinagirl

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so nice to hear people so excited about their pets, I know you'll never be lonely now, what a joy to watch them grow up! Bless you for giving them a home!

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello again Di and Bob...

We just got back from  a pet supply, and bought: 3 new litter boxes, 3 crinkly cat beds, 3 stainless steel dishes for wet food, 1 large stainless bowl for water, 1 large scratching box , 50lbs of kitty litter.. and that's it till tomorrow as we want to get break away collars even though they are indoor pets, they have to have different colored collars or we won't be able to tell them apart!!!

We did this with the last kitties we had, and so we like to start them off fresh and new in their new home! Its probably a little excessive but we are just so darn excited about this... I feel really really lucky to be able to take 3 in. We always have taken hard to place cats, and three 18 month old boys,,, well.. we just figured they would be hard to place. And they are pure black, just beautiful but people are so supersticious, we have heard before that they are hard to place anyway...So 3 beautiful jet black gorgeous kitties for us!!! Over the moon!!!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I love your enthusiasm! l'm getting to be as excited about their arrival as you are 

l'm going to give you advice, lol. Leave the tags on the beds! lf they're anything like my cats, they'll pile into one bed and leave the others unused. lf they prefer one or two of them, may as well take the other back and get them something else (any excuse for more kitty-shopping, lol).

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Andrya,

You are so right about the beds! I just could'nt stop myself... but you are right.. I stopped short at the toy items as i am a previous owner of a couple of kitties,  and their favourite toys were always paper bags and cardboard boxes..... but i welcome any and all advice... I am really hoping they get comfortable and tear around and chase each other and just have the time of their lives!!!!! xo Tinagirl

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho,

If from the same sac, one presumes the same placenta and hence triplets.  The placenta is different in cats as compared to humans (discoid) , cats are inside their placenta (zonary), like a pig-in-a-blanket.  With genetics and a few buccal swabs from each cat, we could a DNA profile to see if they are really triplets! Remember, if striped or spotted twins and triplets can still look differently and the placement off the stripes and spots can be a bit random.  See testing lab: www.vgl.ucdavis.edu

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh! So good to hear back from you Prof. Lyons!

I spoke to their foster dad that they were with for 2 years. He told me he rescued their mom who was pregnant at the time. He was there when the kittens were delivered and yes, the three boys were in one sac attached to one placenta... they are so so sweet.  They are all jet black with a tiny white star on their chests. I can't get over the fact that their nose, lips and whiskers are all black too.. they are short haired and the oldest ( by seconds no doubt) he is the largest and is 8.8 lbs. The middle one is more timid and is about 8.2 and the third and tiniest is Charlie and he is 6.9 lbs. They are short haired and almost look like they have some burmese in them.

We have only had them since this past Saturday, March 1st.. so they are taking their time getting to know us. The oldest Dennis, is the bravest, the middle Mac is most timid and the littlest one, Charlie is the craziest. We had them in the laundry room downstairs, beds, litters, toys, etc.. then opened the door to upstairs so they can come up when they wish. They only come out at night and chatter to each other, the oldest usually first upstairs and calls for the others to follow... usually only the little guy charlie does. Mac is the middle one, and most anxious or timid, and i made the mistake of giving him a hug cheek to cheek( the others like this) but Mac punched me in the eye last night!! Can't blame him... just cause the others like it.......serves me right, i  freaked him out, so i won't do that again.. .

We want to start to do our laundry and vacuuming, dishwasher etc.. but don't want the loud noises to freak them out...so maybe have them up here while we do that downstairs. I think they lived in an apartment before and they are skiddish upstairs here cause of so much daylight and bigger room. We haven't got pictures of them yet either... but maybe try this weekend.. lots of people want to see them but have to give kitties their space.

We really want them upstairs with us, enjoying the sunlight and lots of windows etc.. so i guess we'll bring them up here and try to get them used to it..usually they take off downstairs. We visit them downstairs about every 2 hours, take them out and play and just get to know them.. although Mac has to be dragged out...but eventually relaxes and plays.. actually he punched me when i was hugging Charlie ( the baby) and i had previously had hugged Mac, so maybe he was protecting charlie? I don't know, but its not his fault, I just try to understand what freaks them out as i know they don't do things for no reason... just figuring it out is hard sometimes...

If there is any information that i might be missing... please let me know or maybe direct me... these guys are only two and we look forward for another 18 years with them.. so they gotta get used to this house, us and a great life we want for them.De

Thanks so much for the ear, or eye in this case... and again much thanks for the info on the triplets.

Kindest e-gards

Tina W....

Dennis, Mac and Charlies mom....

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi lamiatron!

I want to post pictures but they boys have only been here 5 days and are still nervous. You can read my reply to Dr. Lyons so i won't have to re-type ( whew) but i am going to try by this weekend. I see you have a nice black kitty in your picture with you.. what a sweetie. Boy or girl?  Very old or a youngster?? I'll do my best to get the pictures up this weekend...

talk soon

kindest e gards

tina.....

tinagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Calico mama... They are fine, if you want to read the loooooooong reply that i sent to Dr. Lyons. I did find out that they are identical triplets from their foster dad. He has had them since he saw them being born ( he rescued mama) and all three in one sac and attached to one placenta...They are still timid upstairs, but in the laundry room .. they rule!!

I will get pictures of them up this weekend, gonna try anyway... but if you look at my reply to Dr. Lyons, you'll see all the info pertaining to my little guys.. I guess our little guys, my husband adores them .... omg I  might get jealous! lol..

kindest egards

Will chat again soon

xo tina