Adopting Kitten with Feline herpes, when I have an adult cat that does not have it? Question, advice, seeking information

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, Pepsi, male, 7,5 years old.
I first got him vaccinated at around 2-3 years old, and have continued on with going in for his shoot every year after.

We lost his brother Max last yeat, august 2021, and its been a long and hard year. I have been unsure about whether or not to get another cat. I feel like Pepsi is happy being a single cat when I am home with him, but I feat that maybe he is a bit lonely when I am not there.

I can’t put the thought to rest, and I want to try. This shelter take in cats that are abandoned or from bad home. And try to rehome them. And I have a potential kitten. But just now today when I was talking about wanting to adopt him, he has had a herpes outbreak a while back (he is ~5 months old). And I don’t know what this means.

The kitten is vaccinated with 2 vaccines, and if I will keep him I will continue on with the yearly vaccinations.

However I do immideatly worry about what this will mean for my cat Pepsi.

I do want to try this adoptipn, it was the sweetest kitten. And it needs a good home, which I think I can give it. But what if Pepsi ends up sick because of this? How bad is feline herpes? How infectious? How often can it break out?

I called my vet office, and they will get back to me, but maybe not before tomorrow, and its tomorrow that I hope to bring home the kitten.

So like everyone else I seek information online. I hope there is someone on here that could potentially just try and break this all down for me.

I know humans are fine living with herpes. And also have read today that cats can also do just that. But it would be nice to hear some experiences with it. Whats to do if I take in the kitten, and it starts to become infectious, and I don’t notice it? Pepsi get it, get sick, and what if he ends up deathly sick because of it?

Its the fear I need to try and calm with information.

Thanks to anyone that can help calm me down, and help make this a magical special weekend! 💙

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Herpes virus in cats is like the common cold in us. It causes congestion, draining eyes, sneezing, etc., and can make them lethargic because they feel unwell. Cat breeders and shelters are notorious for having to deal with this because it is most common around large numbers of cats kept together. It is very contagious, but not to humans. MANY litters of kittens develop it, it is really common. I have dealt with it many times, most times it clears up in two weeks or so, sometimes it gets worse and turns bacterial, causing the drainage to become thick and green/yellow/white, then a antibiotic can be given. My cats have leukemia, so with their lowered immune system, I did research and started giving them DMG, a supplement to build up the immune system. One of them was so sick and he was given 'days' to live with his leukemia symptoms, I started him on DMG and LifeGold for cancers. He is fat and sassy three years later! They have not had Feline Herpes since, when they were getting it two or three times a year because of so many cats around our place. Of course since the diagnosis they are strictly indoors now too. I have tried L-lysine with limited results, DMG seems to work MUCH better. I highly recommend it.
Try not to worry about Feline Herpes. It sis like the common cold. But a immune system in great shape should be able to fight it off, and older cats seem to get it a lot less because kitten's immune systems aren't fully developed yet. You can get the product really anywhere online. I get mine at Amazon, Target, and Walmart online. It is manufactured by Vetriscience. I give it in a bit of Delectable Lickables, a lickable treat every morning to all my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Herpes virus in cats is like the common cold in us. It causes congestion, draining eyes, sneezing, etc., and can make them lethargic because they feel unwell. Cat breeders and shelters are notorious for having to deal with this because it is most common around large numbers of cats kept together. It is very contagious, but not to humans. MANY litters of kittens develop it, it is really common. I have dealt with it many times, most times it clears up in two weeks or so, sometimes it gets worse and turns bacterial, causing the drainage to become thick and green/yellow/white, then a antibiotic can be given. My cats have leukemia, so with their lowered immune system, I did research and started giving them DMG, a supplement to build up the immune system. One of them was so sick and he was given 'days' to live with his leukemia symptoms, I started him on DMG and LifeGold for cancers. He is fat and sassy three years later! They have not had Feline Herpes since, when they were getting it two or three times a year because of so many cats around our place. Of course since the diagnosis they are strictly indoors now too. I have tried L-lysine with limited results, DMG seems to work MUCH better. I highly recommend it.
Try not to worry about Feline Herpes. It sis like the common cold. But a immune system in great shape should be able to fight it off, and older cats seem to get it a lot less because kitten's immune systems aren't fully developed yet. You can get the product really anywhere online. I get mine at Amazon, Target, and Walmart online. It is manufactured by Vetriscience. I give it in a bit of Delectable Lickables, a lickable treat every morning to all my cats.
Thanks for answering. I have been looking it up everywhere, and have not really found anyone talking about how it is to have a cat with it.

But I did find in this one page, a vet talking about it, answering questions:
I currently have a cat that has feline herpes virus that is 14 years old and going very strong. He also lives with other cats and I have no qualms with having him live around other cats, and never would, because nearly every cat is a carrier for herpes virus. Most cats have the feline herpes virus and simply never show symptoms, and in the few that do, the flare-ups they experience do not necessarily cause flare-ups in other cats.

And this calmed me a bit. I did find that like 98% of cats have it, but I can imagine its that «mama bear»instinct kicking in, just being crazy.

As I tried to say it, I am trying to gather informationg, just to know more. The more you know about something, the less dangeorus it might seem.

I properly will bring up the question with the foster parent (the second in command of this cat shelter), just to ask some questions. I am also hoping to hear back from the vet tomorrow.

I really felt that «good feeling» of I think this kitten is suppose to be mine. I was holding him, and he just snuggled his head against my chest, purring.

The 4 kittens all come from a «bad home», as I understood it, not being given food, overfilled toilets. Just a very bad situation. So I would really love to give one of them fantastic home.

My cat Pepsi does have the final say in this. If he say I do not want a sibling, I will return the kitten. As much as I want to give a home to someone who needs it, its Pepsi’ home first, so he does come first in this one particular way 💙

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, flareups often happen when the cat is under strss. Remember too, cats accept kittens much faster, but introductions take weeks to months to see if everyone gets along. Kittens can be annoying to older cats, but they need the discipline the older cat can give them too. Sogo slow and give it time...

jakigrrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second that it is like the common cold for cats.

I brought 2 unrelated cats home from a shelter years ago and a day later one of them was sick. Vet said it was herpes virus- she ended up with one eye having an infection and a week later the other eye-getting it so it looked like she was winking at us for 2 weeks.

In the 12 years since then, she (14 yrs old) has had one flair-up from stress and the other cat (16 years old) has never shown cold symptoms.

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, flareups often happen when the cat is under strss. Remember too, cats accept kittens much faster, but introductions take weeks to months to see if everyone gets along. Kittens can be annoying to older cats, but they need the discipline the older cat can give them too. Sogo slow and give it time...
I know introduction can be tricky. Problem is where I live, doing the seperation way can be tricky. I don’t really have a way to seperate them, think of it like a one bedroom aprtment, where my bedroom can not be cat profeed enough to have the new kitten in. Also allowing the kitten into my room alone might cause fighting, since its a room Pepsi wants to own. He always immideatly start to purr whenever I do let him in there.

But I thought this guide seemed pretty good;Introducing Cats in a Studio Apartment (No Isolation!) - monsieurtn

It does use a lot of the same strategies.

I will try my best. Given my living situation, its why the personality of the kitten have been important to me. I have choosen one I think will be the best possible one. Very social, friendly, and not scared or skittish. This is also a bit based on knowing my own cat Pepsi.

Also people do keep saying older cats find kittens to have too much energy. I keep saying Pepsi is still just like a kitten. He loves to play, and would like for me to do it more than I do, and I hope that I am bringing home a possible playmate, so that they can play together when I just don’t have the energy to 😸

If doing this fast-track introdoction do not work, then I know once and for all that getting a new cat, while Pepsi is still here, is not something to pursuit again.

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have gotten a lot of good people answering me. Also the vet called.

There is still a part of me that is unsure. Still a part that feels anxious. Max (Pepsi’ brother) died of sudden disease, so I think maybe that is affecting my gut. I know people, and the vet say Pepsi will be very safe since he is vaccinated. Its just … that gut feeling of …can I do this? Should I do this? What if?

I am going to meet 4 kittens today, and part of me hope that maybe that its only one of them that has had an actice disease. I know them comming from the same home, and being together, if one has it then all properly do. But I just can’t help but feel that maybe I would feel a bit calmer with one that had not shown the active disease. For all I know they were found with it to begin with, and was treated for it, and then at least one of the kittens have had an out reak recently.

I wont have more answers til I go and see them. My mum is comming with me, and I know she will help me with making this decision.

pepsiandmax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
pepsiandmax pepsiandmax I've had 2 cats with feline herpes and none of my other cats have every contracted it and I have a lot of cats.
di and bob di and bob Where do I get this DMG?
Yeah, this is what I am hearing, and its just that fear.

I know for vaccinated, adult, healthy cat, there is very small chance of contageon.

We lost Pepsi’s brother Max to very sudden, out of nowhere sickness. And although it was kot herpes, it really struck a fear in me. So just hearing «sick kitten», just … it hits deep inside.

Here for my update:
So there were 4 kittens. 4 siblings, but only one of them were actually showing signs of herpes. The others properly carry it, but have shown no signs of it.

Florin was the cat that was showing he had Herpes, and I just could not bring him home.

Instead I brought home his sister. I think she is the kind of cat I have dreamed of having. Over there both times I went to see the kittens, she gave me nose kisses. She was purring, and cuddling me, and just was so cute. I was hesitant about her due to her being a «her». I have no experience with girl cats, and have no idea how Pepsi will react to her, or will react if she goes into heat (shewill very very soon be shedualed to be fixed).

Anyways I brought Amara home. Just as fostermum predicted; growling and hissing.

I know, why have they met? Why would I notdo the seperate slow introduction. Problem is I do not have the space for it. I do not have the possibility of saftly seperate them in different rooms. So I am doing a «I am there, have toys, have snacks, have all the positive stuff». And maybe its working 🤞🏻

Hissing and growling. But when Amara saw Pepsi play with some toys, she seemed to calm down a bit. Like she realised that this is a cat, like her siblings, just way way way bigger. There is still some growling, but she layed down while he was looking at her, and closed her eyes. She calmed down and is still lying in the catbed.

For now I have her for 14 days, as a trial period. I have already made space for her, but theyhave the final say in this. They need to get along. They need to like eachother. If either cat is not happy, she is going back, and I will just have to deal with the loss.

She is the type of cat I have always wanted. I really think she will be climbing into my lap for cuddles 🥺 She was climbing on the cat trees to get up to my dace for cuddles 💙 she is so affecionate, and I have never had that. Even Max,who was my big cuddle buddy, he was a side sleeper. Never on my lap, ever. And Pepsi will wnjoy some cuddles, but no more than 10-15 min at the time at most. Most often just 5 minutes and he is done.

I have tried to show Pepsi that he is still my boy, given him loads of hugs and kisses.

I really hope this can work 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Princess Amara

Attachments

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this is what I am hearing, and its just that fear.

I know for vaccinated, adult, healthy cat, there is very small chance of contageon.

We lost Pepsi’s brother Max to very sudden, out of nowhere sickness. And although it was kot herpes, it really struck a fear in me. So just hearing «sick kitten», just … it hits deep inside.

Here for my update:
So there were 4 kittens. 4 siblings, but only one of them were actually showing signs of herpes. The others properly carry it, but have shown no signs of it.

Florin was the cat that was showing he had Herpes, and I just could not bring him home.

Instead I brought home his sister. I think she is the kind of cat I have dreamed of having. Over there both times I went to see the kittens, she gave me nose kisses. She was purring, and cuddling me, and just was so cute. I was hesitant about her due to her being a «her». I have no experience with girl cats, and have no idea how Pepsi will react to her, or will react if she goes into heat (shewill very very soon be shedualed to be fixed).

Anyways I brought Amara home. Just as fostermum predicted; growling and hissing.

I know, why have they met? Why would I notdo the seperate slow introduction. Problem is I do not have the space for it. I do not have the possibility of saftly seperate them in different rooms. So I am doing a «I am there, have toys, have snacks, have all the positive stuff». And maybe its working 🤞🏻

Hissing and growling. But when Amara saw Pepsi play with some toys, she seemed to calm down a bit. Like she realised that this is a cat, like her siblings, just way way way bigger. There is still some growling, but she layed down while he was looking at her, and closed her eyes. She calmed down and is still lying in the catbed.

For now I have her for 14 days, as a trial period. I have already made space for her, but theyhave the final say in this. They need to get along. They need to like eachother. If either cat is not happy, she is going back, and I will just have to deal with the loss.

She is the type of cat I have always wanted. I really think she will be climbing into my lap for cuddles 🥺 She was climbing on the cat trees to get up to my dace for cuddles 💙 she is so affecionate, and I have never had that. Even Max,who was my big cuddle buddy, he was a side sleeper. Never on my lap, ever. And Pepsi will wnjoy some cuddles, but no more than 10-15 min at the time at most. Most often just 5 minutes and he is done.

I have tried to show Pepsi that he is still my boy, given him loads of hugs and kisses.

I really hope this can work 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Princess Amara
Amara is a beautiful young princess and I love that name! Sometimes our home situation doesn't allow us to do slow introductions and it will take some time. Just provide Amara and safe place to hide if she needs to.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get DMG at Walmart or Amazon. I get the 3.8 oz for 24.00. It lasts my three cats for a few months. I think you are supposed to give it twice a day for a month and then once a day. It should last you quite a while. I put it in a divided pack of Delectable Lickables, a cat treat.