Adopting Another Kitten?

AnnaAntil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Persian kitten is almost 3 months old. About a week ago she was injured and that broke her right hind leg hip bone and caused slight dislocation of the left hind leg..she is undergoing medication but won't eat unless given by syringe.. forcefully. But now I stopped that too...upon her vets advice. My dad suggested adopting another kitten who is a month old (approx. if not older). Is this a good idea? He says that when Gigi will meet and see her new friend she would brighten up and it may help her to eat and move more.
However I am scleptical. What if it leads her to become more depressed after seeing another kitten play around? Mind you she was very playful before the incident.. what is the best way?
Should I take this risk for her sake?

P.S My Gigi is Persian and so is the new kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaAntil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PPS Gigi's vet says that she probably won't be able to use her 3rd leg (right hind leg) and will walk on three legs only. I don't know if the new kitten will remind her of her old self and make her sad or will he/she boss her? Ugh..

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would wait, since you said she was just injured last week. I think she needs time to heal. Another kitten might try to play with her and doesn't she need to be still so that she can heal?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd wait for the kitten to fully heal from the injury before possibly getting another kitten. A new kitten may be so energetic that if your injured kitten may be tempted to play and potentially re-injure the leg or at least cause the healing to take much longer.

Ask the vet about amputating the leg if it won't heal. Three legged cats do very well and can fucntion like any normal four legged cat :agree:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about waiting until the kitten is healed. A new kitten might get her up and playing, but that may not be the best thing for her, she needs to be quiet and still while she tries to heal that injury. And honestly i would not give up on her healing. As long as there is no infection cats can heal from this. I grew up on a large farm, barn cats, feral cats. we fed them but back then no one caught a cat and took it to the vet. It is amazing what cats can heal from.

she needs to eat, what food are you trying to feed her? Have you tried the fancy feast wet kitten food? or any of the fancy feast classics? they are high calorie and high protein and fat, which is what she needs i would think. also Royal Canin makes a decent kitten food you might try.

Best of Luck!