Adopting After Wet Fip

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Kenzie was diagnosed (as far as diagnoses go) with wet fip last week, I had to put her to sleep on Wednesday. It broke my heart, she had been with me for only 4 months and she was just starting to trust me. Thank god my other cat Babs did not catch it, she's older and less likely to get sick.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind this week, is that I think Babs would appreciate a new friend in a couple of weeks, to keep her company while I'm at work. Do you guys know how long I should wait before adopting a new cat, when there's been wet fip in the house? I read 2 months, but does it matter at all in this case? I mean, Babs probably has the corona virus that caused the wet fip in Kenzie, and she will undoubtedly pass it on to a new cat. Besides, they got the virus from the shelter where I'll be picking up a new cat, so the new one's bound to be infected as well, even before she gets here.
What do you advise me to do? I'm already cleaning my house and the blankets and the toys, if it's any use.

(Kenzie's the calico cat in my pic)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Kenzie :hugs:.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you about any of your questions. You could get Babs tested to see if she ever had the CoronaVirus, you could get the new cat tested, you could wait a full two months, and you might or might not have any issues. There are simply no guarantees. What did your Vet suggest?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linderin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to ask my vet when I took Kenzie there Wednesday, but the whole thing was so emotional that I completely forgot. I'm going to call them next week. I guess tests won't say much, because I'm pretty sure all the cats from the shelter, including Babs, have been infected with corona. I'll see what the vet has to say. Thanks for your reply and kind words! :-)