Adopting a shelter mama cat - a kitten too?

Jen Condit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, looking for advice. After recently losing my beloved kitty a few months ago, I am ready to adopt again. I had a strong connection with a stray who was taken in at a local shelter and had 6 babies while there. The kittens are now are old enough to go to their own homes, but I'm wondering what effect it would have on their mom (and the future queen of my house!). They have been all together in an isolation room at the shelter since birth. Some people are saying I should take one of her kittens as well for company. That was not in my plan (I only wanted one adult) but I'm now reconsidering.

Has anyone adopted a mom and baby together? Did they stay bonded? Or am I overthinking this and a mama cat will be OK without one of her babies?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have on more than one occasion because of my work with ferals. I even had a grandmother, mother, and baby at one time. All of these were permanent adoptions/rescues, so it is not like I rehomed anyone later.

There were no problems with any of the cats and their relationships to each other. Two of them, a mom and baby, whom I still have are very bonded. The baby stays with the mom as much as she can...and I should correct the term "baby" as mom is 14 and baby is 13...and has done so her whole life. The other family all remained friendly, but not as tightly bonded to each other. If you only have two cats, I would expect that they would be close and would maintain that closeness as time went on.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no downside of adopting a kitten along with their mom. Mom would take great comfort from having a baby with her and probably would adjust to your home and you more quickly because of it. Of course there are all of the expenses that come with kittens and having two versus one cat but if that isn’t an issue it would be a great idea.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, they will be company for each other. Now, at some point, Mama will start actively pushing the baby away, so don't let that throw you. Once the kitten is accustomed to thinking of Mama as "another cat I know and trust" rather than "MAMA!" the bond will be strong again.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it would be a good idea if you can provide for the both of them! I think it's always great for cats to have feline company, and especially if they're a mama and that company is their baby - sadly some rescue mama cats are often strayed from their babies as a result of an event that happened before they came to the shelter, so it'd be wonderful to give this mama the opportunity.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J Jen Condit : Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of your beloved kitty. :alright: If you would like, we have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a tribute to her. RIP sweet girl. :angel:

I'm glad you're feeling up to adopting another cat. I hope the mama, or the mama and her kitten, help to mend your broken heart. Do let us know once you bring her/them home. And post pics if you can. Good luck. :catlove:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite