Adopting A Second Cat But Concerned...

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a Siamese cat named Abby and we frequently take her to trips to see her grandpaw and his four other cats. She gets along with the other cats but is distant from me when we visit. She is always playing with one of my Dad’s cats, Miss Daisy. Miss Daisy and Abby play all day together. I’m considering adopting Miss Daisy from my Dad as his partner and her kids are allergic to cats and they’re planning on moving in together (I’m allergic too but I just put up with it. Loved with 3-4 cats my whole life until I moved out). The problem is, whenever I take Abby home from my Dad’s after a long stay she seems very happy to be gone. Just recently she was away from me for a month and a half (we are in the process of moving to a bigger home) and when she came home yesterday she has been purring and rubbing all over me every second she has. If we adopt Miss Daisy, will Abby be upset? Why does she act so differently when she’s by herself?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My family never had more than 1 cat at a time, and now I only have my Ruby, so I don't have personal experience with multi-cat families. I do know from reading these threads, sometimes it takes a long time for the cats to get along.

However, considering your Abby likes Miss Daisy, that should make the odds better that they would be friends. I would still recommend a proper introduction, including keeping them separated for a while, when you first bring Miss Daisy home, as Abby might get territorial with another cat in her home.

Here are some articles that have more information. Good luck.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just glad to be home. Cat's do not like change at all. Miss Daisy would be a good fit, it may take her a while to adjust to your home, but she will be fine. Females are usually not buddies with other cats, but they will from a family unit and be friends. I don't think Abby will be upset, she would welcome some distraction and a friend she knows. he is too busy at your dads to give you her whole attention. Is your dad going to ask that partner and her kids to take allergy pills. It would be awful to get rid of those cats from a home they love. It's highly unusual fro a whole family to be allergic!

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have only 1 cat for years, then we adopted 5 other cats (my dad found a pregnant cat outside and she gave birth in our house so we kept her kitties), my cat wasn't upset at all, then 2 years later we adopted a new cat, and my first cat plus the "Kitties" (who weren't kitties anymore ;)) didn't mind at all.

I think your cat is happy to be with you that's why she's purring... it's not that she wants to be the only cat in the house, i think she'll be very happy to have Miss Daisy with her :)