Adopting A New Cat

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I've read up a lot on integrating a new cat into a household that already has a cat, but I wanted people's opinions on my specific scenario.

I'm moving apartments this summer to a place that will let me have multiple cats. My current apartment only lets me have one, and so it's just been me and Finn since he was seven months, and he's 2.5 years now. He's very playful and rambunctious, and with my unpredictable hours as a graduate student, I've been wanting to get him a playmate. My question is that is it better to let him settle into the new apartment and get confident, and then get another cat? Or should I get the other cat soon after I move so to minimize territorial issues?

Additionally, I was thinking of getting a younger cat, around one year old, so they can wear each other out. I know it also comes down to personality, but would a younger cat produce less problems with integrating the two?

Thanks for any help!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Younger active cats tend to do better accepting a young active newcomer. 2 1/2 years is kind of borderline in that regard, but there is no hard cut-off and no one can tell you precise percentages. If your cat was say 10 and not very active, I would definitely get an older docile newcomer and not a kitten. But in your situation, I'd probably get a kitten -- at least that way, you know that if there are problems, it will be one sided. Kittens almost never have problems with resident cats provided you give them some time to settle in before introducing them. And your resident cat has a decent chance being ok with a kitten being relatively young and playful.

Definitely let the resident cat settle in to the new digs first. Any new digs related stress will be blamed on the new cat and sour the relationship.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd think really carefully about it. My eldest has never settled with the cats that arrived after him (one of them was "to get a companion for the existing cat", one was an ex stud that we agreed to give a home to), thankfully we have a decent sized home where original cat can have his own private space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd think really carefully about it. My eldest has never settled with the cats that arrived after him (one of them was "to get a companion for the existing cat", one was an ex stud that we agreed to give a home to), thankfully we have a decent sized home where original cat can have his own private space.
I see a lot of people on here recommending getting a second cat -- is that not such a good idea when your cat is no longer a kitten? I thought my cat would appreciate the company.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see a lot of people on here recommending getting a second cat -- is that not such a good idea when your cat is no longer a kitten? I thought my cat would appreciate the company.
Its a bad idea to get a second cat just to get your cat a friend if the resident cat is older then 2. Because it tends to cause the resident cat a lot of stress, and there is no assurance they will ever be friends. Usually things improve to at least toleration or mild distaste, but there can be stress getting there. Becoming friends is more likely if the resident cat is under 2. Cats are like people, all different personalities, and there is no math formula to evaluate how likely it is your cat will end up friends with another vs. lasting stress but most agree its a lot easier if the resident cat is younger. So with resident cats older than 2, I tell people to only get a second cat if they want a second cat. At 2 1/2, your cat is on a borderline -- they could become great friends, but lasting stress eventually morphing to toleration or mild distaste is also possible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise