Adopting a homeless cat & need to know her breed to be able to get cat insurance

snabel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. We found a homeless kitten under the freeway this summer and haven't found a trustworthy home for her yet. Therefore we've decided to adopt her ourselves. Since we haven't had a cat before, we really need your help to answer a couple of questions. We appreciate any kind of help we can get.

First of all, judging from the pictures below, what kind of breed is she? We're looking at cat insurances and need to know what breed/category she is before we can insure her. Any help/clues would be deeply appreciated. Also, if you know any good insurance plans please let us know.

Secondly, does anyone know what kind of shot(s) she needs? She is about 6 months old now and there's no way to know if she has ever gotten a shot. Our guess is that she's either born in the wild or dropped off by the freeway in a bag or similar by some lazy heartless individual who didn't want to take care of her.

Last but not least, any tips/ideas you might want to share with beginners would be appreciated. Have a nice holiday!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I dont see your post nor any pictures.  I do see just the main question in the outline above. But I think I can give the answer anyway.

EDIT:    NOW I do see your post and the pictures!   He IS very beatiful, and I understand you are asking.  But my answer I already did wrote is essentially the same.

Without papers, it is a moggie.  Or domestic cat as they say.

You have only to choose between shorthair domestic or longhair domestic.  (here he is definitely shorthair  :)  )

This cat MAY be a look alike some pedigree breed. If it is important for you, do send several good quality photos, we may look.

Why the insurance company wants to know, is mostly

a) statistics

b) you usually take higher insurance for pedigree cats. Especielly if they are used for breeding and or showing. But also the monthly fee is of course higher.

c) some breeds are known to have difficulties. Say the Birma have sometimes difficulties to narcose (the sleep-gas) while doing surgery.

So, they will be happy to get known it is "just" a nice  domestic cat.    :)

And so will be you: it is cheaper.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!   *vibes*

ps

I remember precisely this question was here a couple of months ago. You can look after it if it is important for you. But the answers were essentially like mine.

ps 2.  Very nice and good you ARE taking an insurance on your new furry friend. Many people doesnt, even many rescuers adopting their protegées.   Tx again!   *hugs*

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stefan is right - your very pretty little cat is a Domestic Short-haired, in many people's opinion the best of kind of cat! She does have lovely long ears though, so maybe somewhere she had an ancestor who gave her that gene. As to shots, what she needs will vary according to where you are - your vet will advise you. In some places it is both advisable and legally necessary to have rabies shots, in other places not. And do get her chipped, again some places (and all insurance companies) demand it in byelaws, but it always makes it easier to find her if the worst happens. Even if she is an inside kitty, do treat her regularly for worms and fleas, as these can be brought into your home in many ways and believe me, you do not want them! All these things are expensive but the alternatives can be much worse.

She is a gorgeous cat and I wish you many happy years with her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty domestic shorthair. Brown mackeral tabby colour/pattern.

Vaccinations, I wouldn't do anything over the 3 in 1 (no rabies over here). FIV and FelV test her 12 weeks after her last possible exposure.

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic shothair. Everyone else covered the "pretty" part (sorry, I couldn't resist. Every person before me used the same description of "pretty domestic shorthair").

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What everyone else said!

This is the classic "tabby cat." It is the pattern that is considered actually native to what we today call the housecat. It is the pattern of the Little African Wildcat, which is genetically what all house cats are. That's the cat that was historically important in helping make the large cities possible in Egypt, thus having an important part in human history.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snabel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. We really appreciate all the great tips and comments!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To help with your other questions, I have never had cat insurance nor have I ever really known anyone that had cat insurance so, well I guess I am not any help there. But She needs needs to just go to the vet and the vet will give her all the dewormings and vaccinations she needs, and she will need to be spayed asap. Keeping her inside right? Don't want a pregnant kitten :) If she gets out, she will come back pregnant, guarantee it lol!

Good luck!