Adopting A Cat With Fiv - Can You Advise?

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think adopting (for me) an elderly cat or a special needs cat instead of getting a kitten is what I want to do now. I lost my cat 2 months ago, and am a Foster for our local Humane Society's Kitten Nursery. But then I saw under "Special Needs" a lovely grey tabby - 6 yrs old, and think I want to adopt him.
I am curious though, about how to give him the happiest and healthiest life.
Need your experiences.
Thanks!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin has two indoor-outdoor cats, both male, both adults. The younger one let's call him Jay has FIV. It's warm all year around where she lives so parasites like fleas are in larger amounts. She uses monthly flea spot-on and also Profender every 2-3 months. Both cats interact with unvaccinated street cats. The other gets a cut and it heals on its own. My cousin usually doesn't even put any antiseptic on it. But with Jay, if he gets a wound he needs extra care because it's prone to get an infection. In fact this happened this year, he was hospitalized for a few days to get IV and antibiotics. He also gets dental problems so far managed with antibiotics.

The cats are up to date on vaccines and Jay got neutered AFTER he got diagnosed with FIV. He handled it fine. They are on a dry commercial food of low quality and they never get a supplement of any kind. They also don't get their teeth brushed nor any other dental treatment at home.

Based on comparing all the FIV-free cats I know to Jay, the only difference is he needs more immediate action than some of them when something goes wrong and as advised a quick check-up twice a year to again catch something early. With FIV it's honestly kind of sound like "Not the greatest immune system" has a name. But there are many other cats who don't have a "named" problem like FIV but their immune system is either the same or weaker due to different factors, or they just have other health issues like sensitive digestive system.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a cat with FIV for nearly 7 years.

Buddy also has some other health issues that are completely unrelated to his FIV status (e.g., FHV, chronic sinus problems that make him more susceptible to upper respiratory infections, flea and food allergies/sensitivities, a history of urinary tract problems, etc.). So we do have him on supplements to help strengthen his immune system a bit to try to reduce the frequency and severity of flare ups.

There are two things that we learned the hard way that have helped us the most:
  1. If you and your vet feel your kitty might benefit from supplements, don't try to "boost" an FIV kitty's immune system. You want to "modulate" it. The goal is the calm the immune system so that it's not overactive or underactive. You want it juuuust right, like Goldilocks. :wink:

2. FIV kitties can require longer courses of antibiotics if they do get sick, and may take a little longer to bounce back.

But that's just us. My uncle has had a bunch of FIV cats for a long time, and they're as healthy as his non-FIV kitties, and don't require any special care. :)

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a 10 yr old FIV cat. He had to go through two courses of anti-biotic to rid of his URI but otherwise pretty healthy overall. I had him for about 8 months so far, and he came to us right off the streets, URI was the only issue experienced. No special care needed for him. Maybe you can try foster to adopt first?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information! I don't know if I can foster him, but I am always a foster failure. And I couldn't return him since he might not be adopted.
I have only seen him online so far. He's pretty cute and weighs 19 lbs!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had an FIV cat, but we have several at the rescue where I volunteer. They maintain that FIV can live long, healthy lives, but they just need you to pay attention to any health issues and get them tended to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that! That's what I have been reading. Maybe I need to go see him in person (,then fall in love immediately) and adopt him!

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has been the MOST positive thread & hopeful I've read all yr! :) Haha, I know its N Yrs day but honest, it has made my day & yr. LOL

Our feral was diagnosed 2 wk ago w/ FiV. So, i was stunned. But then reading last 2 wks re it, I learned it may be treatable in sense that it can be mitigated w/ very good care & raw food, etc.

Ok, just saying this is very upbeat & made my yr, haha, & gives me hope for our 4-5 yr old boy -- still living outside in his Kitty tube & eating his daily 3 meals of Stella & Chewy Selects raw turkey, chicken or rabbit -- & eating his 4 VetriScience Lysine chews of 250mg totaling 1000mgs/day. ;)