Adopting a cat when my lease says I can't have more than one

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am disabled, in a wheelchair, living alone in an apartment. I do have one cat for company. I think my cat is lonely and I know I am lonely. I found a cat I'd really like to adopt which is said to be "cat friendly". I was approved by the shelter. I talked to my landlord who said I have one bedroom in my apartment and therefore can have only one "animal". I checked the HSUS website and learned that their position is that renters of a one bedroom apartment should be allowed up to 3 cats. I have now consulted with Legal Aid to help me. I need an emotional support animal, which is not a pet, can be any kind of animal. This cat I want to adopt will fit perfectly. Has anyone else had this kind of issue and can you tell me how you dealt with it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I just wrote a message to my doctor asking her to write a letter. She knows I have emotional problems.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how this goes. I have found that a 504 accomodation for ESAs tend to move fairly quickly, once the doctor's letter is in place. I hope this is true for you, as well!

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how this goes. I have found that a 504 accomodation for ESAs tend to move fairly quickly, once the doctor's letter is in place. I hope this is true for you, as well!
UPDATE: I asked my doctor for a letter to request an ESA be allowed. She informed me that she didn't feel "comfortable" doing that since the lease says only one pet is allowed and I already have one. I have now asked my therapist for a letter. She and I have talked about ESAs before and I know she's familiar with the protocol. Since I struck out with my doctor, I hope my therapist will help me. I do know she's out of town for the next couple of days.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Crossing my paws for you! Your therapist is more likely to realize that you can have FIVE cats, and only one of them is an effective ESA.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd take that risk personally, do you have a back up plan for a place to live if your landlord decides not to renew your lease if you get another cat against the rules? Most rental places are pretty annoyed with everyone running to add ESA's because they want to have a pet in a non allowed area, the big low income rentals around here do not allow pets but almost everyone has one because they all do that that same thing. Sure some of them probably can use an ESA but most are simply using it to skirt regulations and it only hurts those that do really need it in the long run.

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think I'd take that risk personally, do you have a back up plan for a place to live if your landlord decides not to renew your lease if you get another cat against the rules? Most rental places are pretty annoyed with everyone running to add ESA's because they want to have a pet in a non allowed area, the big low income rentals around here do not allow pets but almost everyone has one because they all do that that same thing. Sure some of them probably can use an ESA but most are simply using it to skirt regulations and it only hurts those that do really need it in the long run.
My therapist has been treating me for anxiety, depression and PTSD for some years now. She is well known in her field, she's one of those written up in Psychology Today. So if my landlord wants to research her credentials, let her go ahead.

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, because I need an aide to do my housekeeping since I'm in a wheelchair, and the therapist says she has not seen me interact with my current cat when I'm online with her via telehealth, she is "not comfortable" writing a letter requesting an ESA. She herself has 4 cats. But she thinks 2 cats would be too much for me and I should spend more time playing and interacting with my current cat. I really feel that is discrimination against a disabled person. I have emailed a disability support network about this and have not heard back from them yet. I really thought my therapist would support me and she won't. I am very depressed and disappointed.

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My therapist does believe that my current cat could be my emotional support animal, you are right about that. I have had many cats in the past. Some of them I have felt very bonded with, especially the ones I raised from being kittens. Some I was not so bonded with. Most were rescues. I think I only ever got 2 from shelters. But after 2 years with my current cat I don't feel bonded. He is always around me. I think he feels bonded with me. I think I'm the one who's got the emotional issues. That hurts. Instead of helping me with those issues, my therapist criticizes me. She did say that if I didn't already have one cat, she would write me the letter. As people on this thread have stated, it is possible to have several cats and have only one of them be the ESA. I'm going to look for another therapist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My therapist does believe that my current cat could be my emotional support animal, you are right about that. I have had many cats in the past. Some of them I have felt very bonded with, especially the ones I raised from being kittens. Some I was not so bonded with. Most were rescues. I think I only ever got 2 from shelters. But after 2 years with my current cat I don't feel bonded. He is always around me. I think he feels bonded with me. I think I'm the one who's got the emotional issues. That hurts. Instead of helping me with those issues, my therapist criticizes me. I'm going to look for another therapist.
A therapist isn’t there to tell us what we want to hear. They’re there to tell us what we need to hear. Believe me, I know. Play and interact with your current cat more as your therapist suggested. Your cat deserves that- so do you. Interacting with my own cat (and our pup) helps me very much emotionally. Get your cat registered as an ESA and you’ll have room on your lease for a second cat! Win Win!

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A therapist isn’t there to tell us what we want to hear. They’re there to tell us what we need to hear. Believe me, I know. Play and interact with your current cat more as your therapist suggested. Your cat deserves that- so do you. Interacting with my own cat (and our pup) helps me very much emotionally. Get your cat registered as an ESA and you’ll have room on your lease for a second cat! Win Win!
Now that's a good idea. How do I get my current cat registered as an ESA? And BTW I do play and interact with him.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no "official" registry for ESAs. However, there are some organizations that do offer registration "certificates." There is generally a fee for this. Probably, truth known, ALWAYS a fee for this. LOL, there is even one whose NAME is "Official U.S. ESA Registry," or some such. It is JUST a name. However, landlords love official looking papers, so it might be worth looking into. I'd avoid the one mentioned above, just based on the fact that their very name is lying to you. There are several others.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
My hubby and I once thought about investing in rental properties. So glad we didn't. I'll never be a landlord.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even if you get someone to write that your current cat is your emotional support pet, you can still get a 2nd cat. my apartment was gonna allow 1 cat as a emotional support plus 1 regular cat where i would pay the fees and such, since the esa cat doesnt count as the 1 pet. but my doctor wrote for both of my esa cats so technically i can get a 3rd cat if i wanted too since my current 2 are my emotional support and therefor dont count

carolk1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even if you get someone to write that your current cat is your emotional support pet, you can still get a 2nd cat. my apartment was gonna allow 1 cat as a emotional support plus 1 regular cat where i would pay the fees and such, since the esa cat doesnt count as the 1 pet. but my doctor wrote for both of my esa cats so technically i can get a 3rd cat if i wanted too since my current 2 are my emotional support and therefor dont count
I know that. The problem is that neither my doctor nor my therapist are "comfortable" writing a letter for me allowing me to have a 2nd cat or an ESA animal. They think I am basically capable of caring for only one animal. This is partly because of me being in a wheelchair and needing an aide to help me dump the litter pans and take the litter to the dumpster which is 1 1/2 blocks away. I never leave my apartment. I am so depressed right now I can't tell you. Nothing ever changes. My life has nothing that's exciting and new. It seems I can't get anyone to see that and help me change that.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry that you have to endure with such loneliness. It’s truly a shame. I hope that you will be able to get a second cat. I don’t have any ideas of how to get around the one cat rule but I wish you support in your endeavours.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also in a wheelchair so I completely understand how frustrating this is. Is ridiculous that they think they know how much you can handle. I used to foster cats and at one point I had 5 cats at once, I did it all myself. Dumping out the litter, well you gotta do that anyways with 1 cat so their reasons makes no sense

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We never follow the rules lol We are “allowed” 2 animals but have had anywhere between 1 and 5.