Adopting A 12 Week Old Manx Kitten

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

In about two weeks I plan to adopt Manx kitten from a lady who is fostering her. By that time she will be about 12 weeks.

I was wondering if there is a general time when you can tell if a cat is going to have Manx syndrome or not? Her mother is full Manx, father unknown, and her litter mate was born with a tail (I plan on adopting him as well).

From what she has told me, they both seem very healthy. She is using the litter box fine and runs and plays without any issue. Mom is about 14 months herself and also seems healthy, uses the litter box fine.

Of course, we can't know what the future holds but I was curious if there is a time where symptoms are common to show up?

Thanks! She looks like a little doll, I love her already!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I believe that the symptoms of Manx syndrome will have shown up for sure by 16 weeks. The organ and skeletal abnormalities are usually seen clearly in Manx who are born still, or die before twelve weeks. You could wait a few more weeks before adopting to be completely sure, but I think that most likely, this kitty will be healthy, especially since the unknown father was almost certainly a randombred cat. Best of luck with your new kitties!

menna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever adopt your Manx? It's so cute! It's spot on it's head makes her look like a unicorn! I have 2 Manx and love them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_5630.JPG
IMG_5604.JPG
I did! Her name is Ari and her and her sweet sis, Mika, will be 6 months old on Saturday :') I love them to pieces. Ari is such a character and has so far been very healthy so my fears have been relieved for now. So glad to hear you love your Manx babies. She's really so special and amazing!

Attachments