Adopter "Behavior"

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This question is off-topic, but a recurring problem related to cat behavior.  I do some adoptions for an organization that helps people manage feral colonies.  While TNR is its main activity, adoptable kittens often are trapped with the feral adults.  These kittens are fostered, socialized, medicated, microchipped, neutered, and then adopted out.  My problem is that many adopters are so unrealistic about the time often needed to acclimate new arrivals, especially when a resident cat is involved.  We counsel them on steps to take and the need for patience, but some adopters bring back the kittens before they have been given enough time to adjust.  Any suggestiions for cutting down on the "return" rate? 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than due diligence, not much to suggest. 

By due diligence I mean questioning the potential adoptor at length.  Have you ever adopted a semi-feral cat?  (I  use the term 'semi' because sometimes cats retrogress when moved into a new situation.  And it gives the adopter a reminder that this cat has a history.)  Is this your first/second/third cat?  What steps will you (did you) take to introduce a new cat to your resident cat?  Do you have a separate 'safe' room.  What will you do if your resident cat doesn't get along with this new cat?

I'd see how the adopter interacts with several cats.  And strongly recommend that the entire household be present during the adoption interview.  One of the potential adopters I dealt with brought her five or six children, ranging in ages from 4 years to 16.  By observing how the children interacted and listened to the grown ups, we learned a lot about how "Buckley" would do at their house.  (Took a while for Buckley to settle in, but these were patient people.)

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You say that you counsel them on new home/resident kitty introductions, but what about printing handouts for new adopters?  Make handouts with information about introducing cats into a new household, some initial problems that may arise, and maybe a timeline.  Not that every cat will follow the same timeline, but more so that they have reassurance that something isn't wrong if the cat is still hesitant to come out of the laundry room after a few days.  Perhaps even make a separate handout to give to people in multiple cat households that is devoted to proper cat introductions.  You can counsel people all you want, but getting a new cat is an exciting and stressful time.  They won't necessarily remember every bit of information that you give them, so it is probably best to have the basics/most important things written down for them to review if a problem arises. 

My vet gives folks bringing in new kittens a few page long information handout that spans everything from the basics of feeding to vaccinations to introducing old cat to new kitten.  I read it and picked up a few good tips.  You may not have to include a wide variety of information, but the introduction parts  could be helpful.  Having that simple resource that they can review on their own time will probably be useful to some- just print a bunch of them out and hand it over with the new kitten.  It can't hurt at least.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Tabby loves to lick me and we just got her has anybody xperianced this with a new adition cat that was a stray a year before we got her and had a home till a few hours ago. The old owners couldn't ake her with them and all the no kill shelters around us are full and they was afraiid thhaat if they didn't take her to a new home or a no kill shelter that sge would ave nkile but back to the question is. This normal for a new cat in the home.?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a very good sign that your newly adopted cat is licking you. It sounds like she is comfortable with you. Cats won't "groom" someone they don't like.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that is good and the last cat that I had did the same exact thing from the day that we got her so I must have a nack with cats then right?

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does that to a lot of the peeople in my house from me and my bf to his neice and her half brother but those are the. Nly ones that I can remember.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Handouts are provided on feeding, medical care, introducing the new cat to your home, cutting claws, etc..  I think that if people won't listen to you, they aren't likely to read either.  I encourage them to ask questions, figuring that they will pay more attention to answers than blah, blah, blah.  The problem, as I see it, is that most people have unrealistic expectations, even the people who claim that they understand the need for patience.  Sigh.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are saying that cause your cat doesn't "groom" you it ain't that not all cat like to groom others and I should know my grandma had about 7 cats at onceyou couldn't tell unless you seen the cats but back to the point they never licked me r anybody that I know of but rubbed you layed in your lap or sllept in bed with you. I have rann into only 3 cats that licked me wiith their toungle. So dint take it personally if the
Cat doesn't groom you/ lick you.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Handouts are provided on feeding, medical care, introducing the new cat to your home, cutting claws, etc..  I think that if people won't listen to you, they aren't likely to read either.  I encourage them to ask questions, figuring that they will pay more attention to answers than blah, blah, blah.  The problem, as I see it, is that most people have unrealistic expectations, even the people who claim that they understand the need for patience.  Sigh.
Then maybe Ritz is right- perhaps you need to better screen the adopters.  What sort of time frame are we talking about- people who bring the cat back a few days/a week later, or people who bring it back two months later?  Ask them how long they think it should take a kitten to adjust to a new household/new cats.  How long will they give a cat to adjust before they were to give up?  Ask them what they will do if it is appearing that the new kitten and old cat will never get along.  In all likelihood we know that they will eventually tolerate each other, but to an exasperated cat owner one month of hissing can seem like an eternity.  If they don't provide suitable answers that look promising in the long run, you may want to reconsider.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I *do* like the idea of handouts (I kind of assumed you were already giving some out).  Caught up in the excitment of adopting a cat, I know some of what I might be told I will immediately forget or mishear or misinterpret (kind of like when you're at the vets and you forget what the vet told you).

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say that you counsel them on new home/resident kitty introductions, but what about printing handouts for new adopters?  Make handouts with information about introducing cats into a new household, some initial problems that may arise, and maybe a timeline.  Not that every cat will follow the same timeline, but more so that they have reassurance that something isn't wrong if the cat is still hesitant to come out of the laundry room after a few days.  Perhaps even make a separate handout to give to people in multiple cat households that is devoted to proper cat introductions.  You can counsel people all you want, but getting a new cat is an exciting and stressful time.  They won't necessarily remember every bit of information that you give them, so it is probably best to have the basics/most important things written down for them to review if a problem arises. 

My vet gives folks bringing in new kittens a few page long information handout that spans everything from the basics of feeding to vaccinations to introducing old cat to new kitten.  I read it and picked up a few good tips.  You may not have to include a wide variety of information, but the introduction parts  could be helpful.  Having that simple resource that they can review on their own time will probably be useful to some- just print a bunch of them out and hand it over with the new kitten.  It can't hurt at least.

I think hand outs are a good idea as well. Some will not retain, or remember all the info "in the moment" of all that is going on & info given, so something to refer back to is a good idea.

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are saying that cause your cat doesn't "groom" you it ain't that not all cat like to groom others and I should know my grandma had about 7 cats at onceyou couldn't tell unless you seen the cats but back to the point they never licked me r anybody that I know of but rubbed you layed in your lap or sllept in bed with you. I have rann into only 3 cats that licked me wiith their toungle. So dint take it personally if the
Cat doesn't groom you/ lick you.
haha ok!
trying to get another kitten now to wear off my currents crazy energy :)
The only

I adopted only because I already done lots of research on cats/kittens, and even now there is still so much more to learn….
My adoption centre offered a pet licence test, if we pass the adoption fee is half price.
Its basic questionaires on how to look after kitten

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that's good our state doesn't do that. I have always took cats that would have went to the. Shelterif someone didn't take them in and. All the. No kill shelters are. Full around here annd most of the people that I have. Met are afraid that they would get killed evenn though they are so sweet.