Adopted skittish cat, will likely give birth this week

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me and my bf adopted a bonded pair 2 months ago. They're about 10 months old. They aren't spayed yet. They've been indoors only, but there was a male that wasn't yet neutered at the rescue we got them from, so I knew there was a risk one or both would give us kittens. Still, I was uncomfortable with the idea of a spay-abort, when we can afford to take care of the kittens too, so we figured we'd either keep them, or spay/neuter them + vaccines etc and find them a good home, depending on how many we end up with. Thankfully only one is pregnant!

We took the girls in for a vet visit, but they were basically climbing up the walls, terrified for their lives. We were supposed to come back with a sedative, but the vet said it's best to wait until she's had her kittens, instead of stressing her too much while pregnant.

I don't know for sure when the due date is, just that we've had them for 61 days, so the mating took place sometime before then. She hasn't really shown any interest in any of the nesting options we set out for her. She seems to prefer sitting on the cold wood floor most of the time.

One thing I'm still in doubt about is whether I should separate her from her sister or not. They seem to get along really well, only disagreement they ever had was sis wanting to play but momma not wanting to, so she hissed and sis left her alone. But they never showed any aggression towards each other, and we've been distracting sis with lotsa play. I'm also considering when to spay sis. We had an appointment last week, but got covid so we postponed. I worry that separating them in general will cause them a lot of stress. So my plan was to wait until the kittens are a few weeks old, and only separate them if momma seems to want her gone, or if sis shows any signs of aggression towards the kittens.

So we're planning on taking turns to stay up and check up on her, rush her to the ER if anything goes wrong. Once she picks a nest, we'll set a security camera on it and just watch for another room, unless she somehow indicates she wants us there.

So far, she weighs 4.05kg and her sister is just 3.03kg. She just waddles along from one favorite sleeping spot to another throughout the day, eating a lot and drinking a lot of water. We've been making great progress at socializing them, with daily play-and-treats sessions, so they went from bolting whenever they saw us, to being willing to hang out in the open with us, eat treats from our hands and be petted a little bit.

I keep obsessively reading about things that might go wrong and what to keep an eye out for. I still feel completely unprepared.

I attached some pics of her and the nesting options we set up.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what I can do to make skittish momma more comfy, and what I should do with sis, or anything really. It's my first (and hopefully only) time when witnessing a cat birth.

IMG_5860.jpeg IMG_5871.jpeg IMG_5875.jpeg IMG_5876.jpeg IMG_5877.jpeg IMG_5878.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Lady

You will be able to get a lot of support here at TCS as this progresses. The above website has a great deal of information which might be of help in the meantime.

Thank you for helping these two girls and for taking responsibility for the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The sisters can be together unless the pregnant one indicates after she has the kittens that she does not want her around. It sounds like she’s due soon!

Go ahead and spay the sister now. It needs doing so she doesn’t suffer heat cycles and will be one less thing on your plate. She’ll be recovered in no time flat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten Lady

You will be able to get a lot of support here at TCS as this progresses. The above website has a great deal of information which might be of help in the meantime.

Thank you for helping these two girls and for taking responsibility for the kittens.
Thank you!

I've been binge-rewatching The Kitten Lady's Youtube channel, and read through her website, plus the articles I found on here and on other websites.

I still feel like I'm not at all ready. And I'm really hoping we just get the average 2-3 kittens, that way we can probably just keep all of them, though we'll make sure they all get a good start in life, regardless of how many there are. She actually weighs 4.17kg just now, hopefully that's just fat and not kittens.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The sisters can be together unless the pregnant one indicates after she has the kittens that she does not want her around. It sounds like she’s due soon!

Go ahead and spay the sister now. It needs doing so she doesn’t suffer heat cycles and will be one less thing on your plate. She’ll be recovered in no time flat.
True, her heat cycles don't look very comfortable, even if she's making the most adorable trills!
So momma won't be too stressed with her sis suddenly disappearing and coming back smelling all weird?
I'm also waiting to get fully past covid, no point in risking infecting the vet, but fever and aches are gone, we just have a stuffy nose now, so we should be good to go once her current heat cycle is over.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The sister cat won't be gone for that long, possibly overnight, possibly home the same day. Cats can sense when a friend has been to the vet, but I have never had any problem with an overreaction. I agree that if you can get to this when you feel better it is one less issue to face in the long run.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The sister cat won't be gone for that long, possibly overnight, possibly home the same day. Cats can sense when a friend has been to the vet, but I have never had any problem with an overreaction. I agree that if you can get to this when you feel better it is one less issue to face in the long run.
Yea it's 8am drop-off and 5pm pickup at my vet, so not gone long. Though it may be scary to hear her getting put in a carrier, we basically had to herd them in last time, must have been quite scary for them. Sis is letting us pick her up now, though I'd be surprised if she went in the carrier quietly.
I think I read too many stories of momma cat getting spooked and killing her kittens.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need a quick sanity check here. My gal lost some weight since yesterday, after consistently putting on weight. This is normal variation and not something to worry about yet, right?

Fri - 3.93kg
Sat - 4.02kg
Sun - 4.05kg
Mon - 4.17kg
Tue - 4.05kg

I'll call the vet tomorrow if it drops further or I see any other oddities. I'm mainly curious if I should worry about it tonight, or if it could be a sign that we're getting kittens today. So far, she still seems to have a good appetite and is her usual self.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is fine and her weight can vary daily depending on food consumption and elimination.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is fine and her weight can vary daily depending on food consumption and elimination.
Thank you!
Today she weighs 4.06kg, so she isn't losing any more weight.
It does sound like the Monday weighing was a fluke, maybe we did so just before she used the litter box or something.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's happening!
She was panting a bit, and hissing at anyone going anywhere near her, be it us or her sister. We also heard her mew for the first time. Now the panting stopped.
Then she seemed to be walking around restlessly, from room to room. We weren't sure if she was trying to be in the same room as us or trying to get away from us.
For a while she was sitting under the bathroom sink, and I hope she doesn't decide to give birth on the cold tile out there.
Now she's in one of the nests we set up, washing herself. I set a camera on her and we're letting her be.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This does sound like it could be time, so keep an eye on her. Let her relax and hopefully she will use one of your nests.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still not sure if we should separate the cats or not.
She is hissing if her sis comes near, but seems to follow her around?
Sis seems confused, sometimes trying to groom mom, I've also seen sis paw at mom's head a few times though?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would separate them for the time being. There is hissing, which is a warning. I am sure that the sis is confused, even concerned, but you don't need anything going amiss during a birth and there will be a lot to watch out for like the welfare of the mom and kittens. Of course, we hope that this all goes well and most of the time it does, but you just don't need the added interest on the part of the sister.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sis is in another room, and momma went into the nest we thought she would like the most, so all is right so far.
We set a camera on her and are watching from another room. That way she gets peace, and we can still see if there's trouble and we need to interfere.
She's alternating between contractions and washing herself and the fleece blanket.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First kitten was stillborn :(

She was licking something behind her vigorously. Couldn't see what it was, thought it was just her licking herself, she'd been doing that a lot. Then she moved a bit and I saw a kitten, and she was seemingly ignoring it now.
I went to check and she left her nest. It was a kitten, still in its membrane. We tried wiping it with a microfiber cloth, then giving it CPR, grabbed my stethoscope to listen too, but there was nothing. It felt kinda cold from the start, so either we waited too long to spot it, or it was stillborn.
We called an online vet for a quick consult, they said it sounds like we're doing everything right, and we should watch her even more closely, jump in faster next time there is a kitten, make sure the membrane is removed asap.
Momma is a bloody mess. She went to eat some food, rather ravenously. Now she's on the floor close to her food bowl, having more contractions.

Any advice is most welcomed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A bloody mess? Like mom’s back end needs a wipe down?

I agree with vet advice. You can tear open a membrane and clear it from a kitten’s face, then vigorously massage a kitten (as though drying with a towel but not too rough) to get it breathing if it’s full term and can be saved.

Otherwise, watch closely and wait. I hope things get better!

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2nd kitten was stuck in the birth canal for 25 mins, and was also dead. Looks like it came out the wrong way around.
We are now at the ER. They are taking xrays and ultrasound to determine if we’re doing c section or giving her some kinda meds. He could feel at least one kitten in her, possibly more.. She may need fluids too.