Adopted mom's adult male and already have 3 adult cats--words of encouragement please

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have read all of the articles and even watched a video by Jackson Galaxy on introducing new cats, but I keep hearing how it is easier with introducing a kitten into the house.  My mother recently has gotten older and is having memory issues, so we have adopted her adult male cat (about 8 years old).   I have 3 cats, siblings, 5 years old, that I trapped and brought in as babies when their mom dropped them off in my back yard after she weaned them.  As per all of the articles, we have put the new cat in my daughter's room as his safe place, and he has been there about 4 days.  At first, my cats were pretty good about it, only going to that door a few times.  We even have boxes in front for the time being to keep them from peeking under the door, since that space is larger because there used to be carpet over the hardwood and all of the doors have a larger space under them.

Anyway, my mom's cat is trying to adapt, and he greets you when you come in and rubs your legs.  I am not sure he remembers us from visiting mom and being in her room frequently or not.  He did not eat for 12 hours, but now, he does eat (was free fed dry only at mom's and I have left it that way for now, though I do not free feed my cats and they eat 85% wet).  However, he only eats when he is alone for a while.  Now that he will let us pet him, one of my cats is starting to show signs of stress.  He is being more aggressive toward his sister (who he loves and snuggles with all the time) and also to my husband at times.  Tonight, he tried to get in his lap when my husband was working on the laptop.  Hubby pet him and then picked him up to move him, and he clawed my husband's arm.  Tigger is a sweet cat, very affectionate, and lets us pick him up all the time. Hubby is already threatening to get rid of the new cat and saying he won't tolerate it doing this to our cat.

The new cat is a bit unpredictable right now as well.  Rubbing you and then going and hiding under the desk and huffing.  He meowed  a protest when I picked him up today, something I used to do at Mom's all the time.  He threw up (likely from gobbling food when he was alone), and when I tried to clean it up, he swatted at me.  I verbally fussed, but I hesitated to be too upset, since I know he is under stress.  However, I don't want him to sense fear in me either.

We adopted my mother-in-law's adult female cat after the death of my mother-in-law, and it was months before we let the two dogs see her.  They eventually coexisted.  She passed away from renal failure and hyperthyroid over a year ago.  I adopted my 3 cats when she was still alive, and for the most part, they lived together okay with the occasional slap as they walked by each other.  We do not have any dogs now, so at least we don't have that to complicate things, and my cats are the only pets.

Because these are all adult cats, I am sort of envisioning the cat living in my daughter's room for many months.  The cat will likely be fine with that, as he lived in my mom's room the 7 years he was there, since she has always had a dog that she feared would not get along with him.  However, since the new cat is acting unpredictably, letting me pet him and playing and then suddenly hiding under the bed or desk and huffing (and is fully aware of my cats outside the door and watching with the tail twitching at times), I worry that my daughter will come home from college at Thanksgiving and not feel comfortable sleeping in that room with him.  Then she will come back home at Christmas break, and honestly, I don't want her to feel kicked out of her own room.  I have even said I could give the cat our room, but I would likely sleep on the couch, since my cats sleep with me, and I don't want them to flake out over me being in there without them if the new cat would even share the room happily with me.

Right now, we are making it a habit to visit him.  My adult son is in college but lives at home and commutes, and then my husband and I live here.  I work from home but work 7 days a week and work some crazy hours, but at least, I am able to go check on him and talk to him and make sure he has food and water.  He is sleeping on the bed, and there is a cat window shelf in there for him, which he is using.  He seems fine with any of us coming in for a while, but then, he suddenly acts afraid or insecure.

I just need some encouragement that maybe my cat (who is the first of my 3 who was affectionate and loving, so he has a special bond with my husband and me) won't act wigged out forever if that cat stays in the bedroom for months and that this is not a sign that they will never be able to live together necessarily (though I know that is a possibility).

Per the information I have read, we plan to take this whole process slowly, especially with the holidays and all.  I may get separate socks and move those from place to place.  I am not even sure how soon I will try to lock up my cats and let the new cat have free time in he rest of the house, especially if my cat is going to start feeling threatened and continue his aggression.  My cats have some sibling rivalry about who gets the best spot in the sun or who gets to sleep closer to me, but for the most part, they work it out without any scratches.

Any words of encouragement from people who have had success incorporating an adult male into a house with other adults?  If I delay the process and just let him stay in the bedroom until the first of the year, will that hurt the possibility of him ever being able to share the house with my cats in peace or help it?  When will the new cat start to show signs that he has accepted his new place?  I have been wondering how long it takes a cat to forget their old environment and finally call this home.  I understand he is adjusting.  We have a different schedule here, and I am sure our house is louder with TVs in several rooms going at the same time and people on different work/school schedules.  I just don't want my husband to give up on things after a week, when I know that is not realistic.  However, he does not want our daughter to feel like a stranger in her own room if the cat does not act appropriately while she is home for Thanksgiving.  I keep going in there and sitting on the bed and stuff.  This last year, my mom has spent more and more time in the room with him, so he is used to sharing, but Mom had a double bed, so he had the option of being on the other side or being with her.  My daughter has a twin, so the space is smaller.  I don't want him to think he owns the bed and maybe be aggressive towards her when she comes home.  Hubby said he was thinking of trying to sleep in there.  If he tried that, how soon would be a good idea?  If the cat gets protective of the bed and room, Hubby may be ready to stop the process and take the cat to the shelter or something right now. After all, my daughter should feel she still has a bed to sleep in when she comes home.  She actually comes home on weekends sometimes, but she is busy until Thanksgiving with stuff at school and likely won't come home until then for the first time since the cat has arrived.

I welcome any advice or hopeful words. 

I just wanted to add that I am really sorry about this post being so lengthy.  I guess I am a little stressed about doing the right thing by the cat and by my mom who is trusting me with her cat.  Maybe people will skim it and have some good experiences to share

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
mysterylover, it's a little difficult to work out exactly what is going on.. I do understand that you're really stressed about it and it''s good to get it off your chest 

How long have you had your mother's cat now?

How long did you allow for introductions when your mother's cat was first introduced to the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mani,

Thank you for your response.  We have only had my mom's cat for about a week, and actually, he is already doing better in the safe room.  We have not introduced him to my cats, except when either party sneaks a peek through the door as we come and go.  Having said that, at first, the peeks were just curious peeks (after all, my cats had to figure out who or what was getting that food I was putting in there), but now, the cracked door is met with hisses on the part of whichever cat of mine is out there when I leave the room.  I do worry that, since he has my daughter's room, she may come back to him thinking he owns it and not being happy about her being on the bed he is sleeping on and such.  Could that really happen in a couple of weeks with him in there alone?  My husband offered to sleep in there some. Is that a good idea?

This cat is just different from mine.  My cats have the run of the house and are part of everything we do, including coming into the bathroom when we go in there.  This cat has lived in one room for 6 years, with mostly my mom as his companion.  I am guessing people adopt cats from all sorts of backgrounds, and they eventually integrate into their lives just fine.  One of my cats was not affectionate for over 3 years, and then suddenly one day, I woke up and he was asleep on my chest.  I am hoping patience will be the key here as well.

Anyway, like I said, he at least rubs on people's legs and lets you pet him when they come in there, especially if he is hungry, so he is not afraid to ask for food.  I guess I was just wondering if anyone here had any stories about a cat that started out less affectionate after being adopted but was much better after 1 weeks, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc., so I have a bit of  hope that, if we keep spending time in the room he is in, he will eventually warm up to us.  Hopefully, if I just accept him as he is now, I won't be stressed, and he will feel me relaxing, too. 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea for your husband to sleep in there a little.  It will certainly set your mind at rest, and the cat will probably enjoy it.

One week is a drop in the ocean when it comes to new homes, and certainly introductions to the cats of the household!

This is a really good way to go about the whole process: [article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

And you're quite right.. if you are less stressed about it, the cats will also be more relaxed.

I don't think you've told us his name?

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again, Mani,

This site is a really a lifesaver.  Funny, I never wanted a cat, but when after having them for 6 years, my kids are already calling me the crazy cat lady!

His name is Loki.  He is actually very pretty (white with charcoal gray blotches).  What a difference a few days seems to make in transition.  Since the last post, my husband agreed to sleep in there.  He has slept in there three times.  The first time, the cat slept on an extra blanket that my husband did not need and just draped over my daughters desktop and then finally actually did move to an old washbasin that he somehow had adopted at my mother's that we had put at the foot of the bed near the wall (daughter's bed is against the wall).  The next night, he woke up once to the cat just sitting on the nightstand watching him sleep--sort of creepy but sort of cute.  LOL!  The last time, he woke up to the cat actually sleeping next to him near the head of the bed!

My daughter surprised us by coming home this weekend.  Her norm is to sit on the bed and use her laptop.  I went in to check on her, and she had video of Loki nuzzling her face and purring, sitting on her lap!  He was getting hungry, but still, he took right to her.  He is now actually permitting us to kiss him on the head.

He even ate a bite of wet food today--Nutro minced chicken and shrimp, so it may be a fish thing, but he even ate the 3 kibbles I coated in the gravy part.  If he is prediabetic, even the minced with gravy has to have less carbs in it that the Science Diet he is eating with wheat and corn as like the 3rd and 4th ingredients.  I will try another flavor like minced chicken and see how that goes.

The only other thing we are facing (and much sooner than I thought we would) is him wanting to leave the supposed safe room, despite the fact that he is aware of my 3 cats who are frequently right outside his door when I am coming and going.  I let them have a brief look if he is not right by the door and just tell them to say hi to the new family member.  "Tigger, say hi to Loki.  Loki say hi to Tigger," I say in a very cool, no-big-deal voice. Sometimes there is a hiss from one of my 3 cats, but I have noticed that it is not every time like it was when I first started going in there, so I hope they are at least accepting him in there.  Of course, accepting him as living in that room and accepting him in the rest of the house is a huge leap.  I know there are cats who can never live together in peace, but I am hoping and praying that won't be the case.  I wonder if even introductions under the door should be done with my cats as a group or individually (when I feel ready to try, which could be a month).  Any thoughts on that?

We are thinking of putting my cats in one of the bedrooms and letting Loki explore the hall and bathroom to give him a bit more freedom and maybe mix his sent around. 

Thank you for your reply.  I know people are busy.  I appreciate you taking time to reply.   it is good to know that patience and time really do help with him starting to feel this is his new home and that it is a safe and loving place (at least in the room he is in for now, and again, hopefully the whole house at a point down the road).

Thank you again!   

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and thank you for the great link!  I can give my cats treats every time they don't hiss.  Treats for Loki are still a mystery.  I tried junk treats like Temptations (which I don't even want my cats to eat since they have been grain free for years now), an he looked at those like they were dirt.  I tried some jerky type treats (Blue Wilderness).  He left those on the window seat for 2 days untouched.  I tried grain free crunchy treats tonight, and my cats loved them, but he would have no part of them, despite the fact that he was hungry.  He even turned down canned chicken, which I don't feed my cats, since I worried it might have hidden onion or something, but I was hoping to use it as a distraction.

With my daughter home over the holidays some, I am hoping he will actually eat with her in the room.  Right now, he almost always waits until I leave and then eats over the next 30 minutes or so.  If she can get him to eat while she is in there, maybe we can try moving his food bowl closer to the door and then let me feed my cats on the other side (they hardly even look up when canned food is in their bowls, since they know that if they don't eat it, brother or sister will. Of course, since my cats are the ones accepting a newcomer, maybe they need the rewards for good behavior the most.  I will read the article more.  We have been switching towels and blankets.  In other words, the blanket Loki has been on a bit gets brought out into the house to a spot where my cats often sleep, and the towel they lie on gets put on the bed in my daughter's room.  Then, we just pretend there is really nothing different in either environment (even though there is some sniffing and such at first).  The individual sock thing is a good idea.  I guess I think of my cats as sort of one smell, since they sleep together and clean each other and exchange sleeping spots pretty often, but maybe, they should be smelled as individuals by Loki, so the sock thing sounds interesting.

Thanks again!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so pleased things are going well.  This will work out, you'll see.

As for whether the introductions under the door should be done as a group or individually, I'm actually not sure as I've always just done one on one.  I'm hoping someone will be able to help you with that.

Keep doing what you're doing and follow the article.. It's working!  And keep us posted.