Adopted Kitty Would Not Eat! Has Anyone Had This Issue?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anybody had a happy ending to a similar story please let me know how you got your cat to eat. We adopted a rescue cat about 12 days ago. He came from a hoarder's situation but was at a cats' rescue place for about a year. There he was with a bunch of cats in a small cat house. He is 18 months old but looks like a kitten, very small and thin. His original documents when he was rescued says he was not adaptable because of his manners. When we saw him he was very friendly and allowed us to pet him, even plaid a bit... so we assumed he was ok.
At home he did not look too stressed, walking around and checking every room. I know we should have given him only 1 room but he seemed pretty comfortable.
The only problem: I have not seen him eat, from the start. He did go to the box a few times to poop, but not every day and one of those times it was diarrhea. He does eat grass we bought and I saw him drink water, but no dry or wet food is touched. I am not even sure how he managed to go to the toilet.
We took him to a pet hospital one evening, 3 days ago, because he would go to the box and and did not do anything in there a few times. I really freaked out thinking something was abstracting his bowels...
Catching him at home was a nightwear because he is just terrified of human hands. We cannot even pat him at home, he just runs away. And this catching session completely ruined our little trust that we built for the last few days.
Anyway, we ran all the tests, except for the poop, he did not have any. His tests showed that he has a urinary tract infection. Something we did not expect at all! They gave him a slow releasing antibiotic and some pain meds that I have to give him every 8 hours with a small syringe. They also gave something for his apatite but it did not change anything.
We are back home and I have been given him pain meds, always a big deal with him hissing at me in his bed. But he still has not touched his food. Today I am starting to give him chicken broth with the same tiny syringe, he is terrified of a larger size. From my research they will have to put feeding tube in him if he doesn't eat any longer. I just cannot imagine us trying to catch him again for another vet's visit!...
I've decided to feed him as much as I can with the syringe to avoid any further stress with visits to vets. He seems to be receptive to it.
Are there any vets here? Can someone give me a few pointers on how to feed him more?
Forgot to mention, we tried every possible food to get his appetite going: tuna, kitten's food, baby food, cooked fresh meet and fish, ham, bacon... I have not tried raw meet yet.
We are also relaxing him with Feliway plug-in. He seems ok walking around and even plays with a laser but still not eating.
Thank you for reading!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was he eating at the rescue place? Have you dried dry food? Some cats just prefer it. What about bone broth? I recently had a very sick cat and ended up having to syringe feed him. I took canned wet food, added some water and blended it until I could get it into a syringe. It was not fun, but it was necessary.

I really think you need to restrict him to one room. He needs time to adapt to your home and since he is not feeling well, it would be easier to get a hold of him. Be sure the room is cat proofed as you don't want him hiding under a bed, under or behind large furniture, getting into a closet or other unsafe areas. Watch out for window treatments and blinds too.

Does he have a cat tree where he can perch and look outside? Have you tried some catnip? Some cats really enjoy this and it helps to calm them down.

Recently when my cat was quite sick and would not eat, the vet gave him a B 12 injection. This really perked him up and had him feeling better soon.

Also if he received the Convenia injection for the UTI, one of the side effects is inappetence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was he eating at the rescue place? Have you dried dry food? Some cats just prefer it. What about bone broth? I recently had a very sick cat and ended up having to syringe feed him. I took canned wet food, added some water and blended it until I could get it into a syringe. It was not fun, but it was necessary.

I really think you need to restrict him to one room. He needs time to adapt to your home and since he is not feeling well, it would be easier to get a hold of him. Be sure the room is cat proofed as you don't want him hiding under a bed, under or behind large furniture, getting into a closet or other unsafe areas. Watch out for window treatments and blinds too.

Does he have a cat tree where he can perch and look outside? Have you tried some catnip? Some cats really enjoy this and it helps to calm them down.

Recently when my cat was quite sick and would not eat, the vet gave him a B 12 injection. This really perked him up and had him feeling better soon.

Also if he received the Convenia injection for the UTI, one of the side effects is inappetence.
Thank you so much for replying! We did talk to the Rescue place and they gave us the names of the food he was eating, so I am trying to give that as well. Both wet and dry food. No luck!
Our house doesn't have any small rooms we could use for him, just a big open space (living and kitchen) with a bedroom and 2 offices where we work... I am not sure where we could close him off. He likes a little cat house we bought for him in a living room. It's his safe place. I guess I could move all the furniture from my office to the kitchen and give him that room. Not sure what else to do. I am afraid it will be stressful to move all the stuff too...
I will ask the vet about the vitamin B12. Thank you! He does have a catnip.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a couple of things to try. If he likes his cat house put the food in there, he may feel safe in there. Mash the wet food up, put toppers on it, if he likes a particular treat, crumble a few and put on top, bonito flakes on top sometimes work. Feed him small amounts to get him started, leave him on his own. If those dont work, ask your vet for a high protein food. I cant remember the one I had but it is in a 156g tin. Its mixed with water and syringed into the cat. Hopefully once he starts to eat he will he ok.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I wouldn't move him then. You're right it might be too stressful. The main thing right now is to get him to eat. Was the injection he received Convenia? It is known to cause inappetence. He may need more of the appetite stimulant or maybe he is nauseous. Do you see any lip smacking? I have had good luck with Ondansetron (generic Zofran) for cats with nauseau. You can ask your vet.

If he still is not eating, you will need to syringe feed him or look into getting him food through iv at the vet. It is very dangerous for a cat to go 48 hours or more without eating.

Please let us know how he is doing.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I wouldn't move him then. You're right it might be too stressful. The main thing right now is to get him to eat. Was the injection he received Convenia? It is known to cause inappetence. He may need more of the appetite stimulant or maybe he is nauseous. Do you see any lip smacking? I have had good luck with Ondansetron (generic Zofran) for cats with nauseau. You can ask your vet.

If he still is not eating, you will need to syringe feed him or look into getting him food through iv at the vet. It is very dangerous for a cat to go 48 hours or more without eating.

Please let us know how he is doing.
Thank you so much for replying! I tried to isolate his corner that he took over in the living room. I also started feeding him with a syringe a bit, broth and baby food so far today. Will try cat food tomorrow. My only concern is he would allow using only small syringe, not that much fits in it.
He is still on pain killer meds as well, every 8 hours, which is supposed to relax him. Did not notice any lip smacking.
Yes, he had Convenia and now I am giving him Buprenorphine for pain. I think his UTI is better. He went to the toilet a few times already. They also gave him some fluids from dehydration. All blood tests were normal.
I think when he starts eating it will be the happiest day of my life! :-| I will keep feeding him from the syringe and see how it goes. Really don't want to give him more stress with the feeding tube...

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of things to try. If he likes his cat house put the food in there, he may feel safe in there. Mash the wet food up, put toppers on it, if he likes a particular treat, crumble a few and put on top, bonito flakes on top sometimes work. Feed him small amounts to get him started, leave him on his own. If those dont work, ask your vet for a high protein food. I cant remember the one I had but it is in a 156g tin. Its mixed with water and syringed into the cat. Hopefully once he starts to eat he will he ok.
I wish I knew what he likes. :) The lady who was fostering him (rescue place) has a lot of cats and cannot see everybody's preferences I think... She only gave me one brand that she thinks he was eating. I will keep trying to keep him going with the syringe for now. Hopefully once UTI gets better he will come out of this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think once he feels better he will eat. I pray so anyway. Just keep trying it is all you can do. you might try some cheap pate food in chicken and see if he likes taht, my ferals love 9 lives in chicken and tuna pate. My house cats will only eat shreds in turkey and cheese. What ever you give him leave a small amount out overnight. Maybe all day too, to see if he has a preference. During the day change it out to keep it fresh. Keep giving the appetite stimulant with the syringe feeding. Maybe stop the pain meds, after two days his UTI should feel better and they are known to supppress the appetite. Please keep us posted, you will be blessed for going through this and not giving up!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was syringe feeding, I found it easier to use the small syringes. I ordered a feeding syringe off Amazon and it help a lot, but was much harder for me to use. I found the small ones easier to handle. I actually got 2 free from the Kroger pharmacy. I would just fill them both and refill again if needed. My boy hated it and would cry out, but I knew I had to get food into him daily.

At least he is getting something into his system. I know first hand how happy you will be once he feels better and returns to eating on his own. I dreaded each feeding.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding him some Kitten Milk Replacement. You can buy it from a pet store. Buy the dry form, then you mix up what you need. It has a lot of fat, protein and such that a kitten needs to grow.

Pleasekeep us posted!

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try feeding him some Kitten Milk Replacement. You can buy it from a pet store. Buy the dry form, then you mix up what you need. It has a lot of fat, protein and such that a kitten needs to grow.

Pleasekeep us posted!
Will try that. Thank you! :) He was even playing today a little... and did not mind too much eating from a syringe once I got it into his mouth. I have hope!

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was syringe feeding, I found it easier to use the small syringes. I ordered a feeding syringe off Amazon and it help a lot, but was much harder for me to use. I found the small ones easier to handle. I actually got 2 free from the Kroger pharmacy. I would just fill them both and refill again if needed. My boy hated it and would cry out, but I knew I had to get food into him daily.

At least he is getting something into his system. I know first hand how happy you will be once he feels better and returns to eating on his own. I dreaded each feeding.
How did your boy finally start eating? What triggered it?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was he fed table scraps before? Could you try feeding him some blanched chicken meat? maybe dip it in some butter... if I rub stuff around my cat's mouth like coconut oil for his mild acne, he would just lick it off, maybe you can try the same, but with say maybe with juice from the canned food, etc.

hopefully he'll lick at it and realize that it's yummy food

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was he fed table scraps before? Could you try feeding him some blanched chicken meat? maybe dip it in some butter... if I rub stuff around my cat's mouth like coconut oil for his mild acne, he would just lick it off, maybe you can try the same, but with say maybe with juice from the canned food, etc.

hopefully he'll lick at it and realize that it's yummy food
Not sure what he ate before. I just adapted him about 14 days ago. :) But I did try cooking fresh meat for him myself, chicken and fish, and he is not interested. I really think it's a combination of stress with UTI medicine that made him like this. His tests are all normal otherwise.
So, I am feeding him with small syringes now, trying to do it 3 times a day, adding additional syringe each day. So far only 4 in one feeding, but they are very small. Not sure how long this will continue. I cannot wrap him in a towel like everybody is suggesting in videos on YouTube. They show very mellow cats. He only lets me feed him when he is in his bed inside the cat house. And only if I sneak it into his mouth very fast. Otherwise he hides his mouth with his paw or tail. Sometimes I have to take a break and wait for him to get distracted.
I ordered cats milk replacement powder online today, it's 4 times cheaper on Amazon. Will try that tomorrow as well. When I put food around his mouth he just looks at me with angry eyes and doesn't do anything. I hear him cleaning himself after I leave...
Thank you for your reply! :)

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Do you remember how long your cat did not eat when you were feeding him from syringe? I am starting to worry again about this situation with my adopted kitty... Not sure how long he can go on like this and when I need to give up and take him to a vet again.
Thank you!!!

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everybody know, our kitty finally ate dry food last night and was drinking a lot this morning! I feel so much better now! Still cannot believe it! It's been 15 days since we got him and until today I saw him eat only grass and I was feeding him with a syringe for the last 3 days...
Thank you so much everybody for your support and encouragements! :)
IMG_8455 (1).jpg
IMG_8462 (1).jpg

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wondered how your newly adopted sweetie's doing? Is he eating completely on his own yet?

And as someone who's spent LOTS of time working in/volunteering for shelters, your story touched my heart. Very few people are willing to adopt a kitty who obviously needed some socialization work to help him feel safe and loved...I think I can speak for virtually everyone who's ever worked at a shelter when I say a VERY big, VERY sincere thank you with all my heart for taking a chance on this beautiful guy!!!!