Adopted Kitten, Born 4/20/19

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
He honestly looks like a red to me. I imagine a long haired red.. those stripes just look like they’re going to explode once he grows his adult coat

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
I see the tabby stripes in his coat. But no “M” on the forehead?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He still appears to be cream and white in color. Cream is the "dilute" version of red.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The M is starting to form. You have one who will be the most loyal cat to you EVER. He may not be a cuddler, but he will know every move you make and every move anyone around you makes. The LOVE will astound you. Happy Baby kitty!

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
117F78E1-4506-4709-8221-89DE0C65E4D4.jpeg
I was given this kitten on 4/27 and told he was born 4/20

He’s had all his teeth for about a week now and is eating 20-25 ML every 4-5 hours.

Not interested in solid food AT ALL

Ears seem droopy still?

Is agile while he walks and plays.

Does not eliminate without stimulation.

Do you think is age is accurate? He was born to a barn cat and I’m feelin like she guessed...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby teeth start to come in around 3 weeks of age. The kitten weaning process begins at about four weeks of age. What are you feeding the little one on? What is the baby's weight now?

Most kittens start walking around 3 weeks of age, but take a little longer to gain their coordination. You can be comfortable saying that a kitten who is walking pretty well and playing is at least 4 weeks of age.

Last edited:

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
He is exclusively KMR fed.. when I got him I got his powdered KMR at Walmart (and I live in a small town, there aren’t any other options)... but they seemed to have it in stock so I didn’t worry about needing to buy more. I make a human baby bottle full of formula to last 24 hours daily.. I used the last this morning and put Walmart on my to-do list.. well Walmart is out!! In fact, the store has discontinued it from their selection. I can rush order it in 2 days.. not good enough.

I drove an hour to the closest pet shop.. they said they had it.. when I got there it looked different tho... it says “PetAG PetLac”... it’s lower in protein and crude fat.. it says it’s still okay??

I also can’t find goats milk, locally..

What would you do?

I’d like to follow his feeding cues. If I just leave kitten food out for him will he pick it up on his own or do I need to do something to force it? I don’t mind supplementing him longer, in fact, I enjoy bottle feeding him.. but I don’t want to harm him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he now? Does he have any teeth? Don't give anything but KMR before they have teeth, as that's a sign their digestive system isn't ready for it. Once he has teeth poking through, start by putting a little Gerber chicken baby food in his formula, just to get him used to the taste. Then bump up the amount, and try to get him to lick some off your finger. Once he has that figured out, you can move onto canned kitten food mixed with KMR, and be ready for a mess!

I once raised a litter that started eating their mom's Kitten Chow when they were 3-4 weeks old, so some kittens don't need a lot of encouragement! But most do need a little help with it, especially orphans.

With orphans, I offer the bottle at least once a day until they're about 12 weeks old or lose interest on their own, in an attempt to prevent nuisance suckling behaviors. So far it seems to have worked.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with the others. Petlac should be fine, even if KMR in powder is known as safe and very good. In a pinch you can use human mother milk replacer! Just dilute it less than for a human baby. :)

Walmart does carry goats milk, at least in powder. Just to seek some. Baking section?? The brand of Meyenberg is good if you have several brands to choose from. They can even have frozen fresh goats milk...

A note: ready made in bottle for 24 hours use? Its convenient for you, but may be too long. I guess if prepared with scrupulous cleaniness, without any bacteria having any possibility to come inside, it should be OK. Still, its not our standing recommendation if possible to avoid.
Chilling off and reheating many times gives big risks to grow up bacterias if there were any from the beginning...

If you have any possibility, make new more often.

Alternatively, you can try with making a bigger batch, and freeze it in small eat portions in ice cube holder (cleaned) or even better, in small plastic bags. And heat up each portion before use.

Mamakitty&me Mamakitty&me

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would mix up a day’s worth of milk then pour in the amount needed for that feeding into the bottle and then place the bottle into a mug of hot water, to warm up the milk. My mom liked to nuke the bottle but it is very easy to overheat and I do not recommend it! If I had leftovers I would put it in the fridge and serve it in the next feeding and then use a clean prepped bottle to top them off as needed.

I also used and bought kitten bottles, they sell them on amazon. Buy extra nipples. How old is he? The newborns get special nipples that attach to syringes. I think your kitten is past the newborn stage if he has already eaten a canister’s worth of KMR powdered formula. At a certain point ?6? Weeks you can get them to drink milk from a saucer. I regret not giving the two older nipple choppers more bottle time because they grew up to be blanket suckers. Their brother the less nipple bites runt got an extra 10 days of bottle time and he is not a blanket sucker. They still wanted milk even after they started eating wet food. Even after they were mainly eating wet food they still wanted a saucer of formula at 10 weeks.

Take lots of pictures; they grow up so fast!!! Maybe take a picture of him next to the same object so you can see how is growing each week/month.

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
I would mix up a day’s worth of milk then pour in the amount needed for that feeding into the bottle and then place the bottle into a mug of hot water, to warm up the milk. My mom liked to nuke the bottle but it is very easy to overheat and I do not recommend it! If I had leftovers I would put it in the fridge and serve it in the next feeding and then use a clean prepped bottle to top them off as needed.

I also used and bought kitten bottles, they sell them on amazon. Buy extra nipples. How old is he? The newborns get special nipples that attach to syringes. I think your kitten is past the newborn stage if he has already eaten a canister’s worth of KMR powdered formula. At a certain point ?6? Weeks you can get them to drink milk from a saucer. I regret not giving the two older nipple choppers more bottle time because they grew up to be blanket suckers. Their brother the less nipple bites runt got an extra 10 days of bottle time and he is not a blanket sucker. They still wanted milk even after they started eating wet food. Even after they were mainly eating wet food they still wanted a saucer of formula at 10 weeks.

Take lots of pictures; they grow up so fast!!! Maybe take a picture of him next to the same object so you can see how is growing each week/month.

That’s what I’ve been doing. I make a 90ml bottle, then I syringe 20-30 ml into the kitten bottle and place into a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.

I don’t know how old he is, tbh.. the lady I got him from said he was born 4/20.. but he has all his teeth and is walking confidently and beginning to play. He refuses food and I have to force feed any formula with baby meats.. which I’m just not comfortable... I want to do what’s best for him. Yesterday he started biting holes in all my nipples!!! He won’t lap the milk and chokes on a nipple free syringe.. help!!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be interested in kitten wet food on his own. One day it will just click. I would try buying bottles, for kittens with extra nipples, and make a larger hole in the nipples if he starts chewing on them. Just do not feed him anything but healthy wet food because once he tastes fish or fancy feast he will never go back ;) you can try placing a small bowl of kitten dry food with just a spoonful of food in it. When he starts nibbling it is time to give him wet food.

Here is how I found out my minions were ready for wet food. One day I was making food for my other cats and my runt started chowing down on the wet food at 2 days short of his 6 week mark. (The kitten lady on you tube has a video on how to tell kitten age.) I still gave them milk dinners and one wet food dinner a day, then 2, then 3, then eventually they were eating all wet food with one saucer a day plus kitten dry food snacks. Kittens are great at telling you when they are ready.

Attachments