Adopted Foster cat needs help

Boymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI everyone
I really need help
I fostered a cat all her life and she finally got adopted 5 weeks ago (she'll be 2 on labor day )
i adopted a cat to this lady 2 years ago and i trust her very much
however Penny (this newly adopted cat) is still hiding from them
its been 5 weeks
the lady is very patient and understanding
but my heart is breaking for penny
i miss her like crazy but my home isnt meant to be a forever home
does anyone have any ideas or advice what i can pass along to Penny's new mom to help Penny?
Pennys biomom is a full tortie and Penny is a muted tortie
Penny is just a sweetheart but nervous even when she was with me
i want Penny to get to where she can be loved and love her new family
please any help is appreciated
also has anyone ever fostered a cat that just could not adjust to her new home no matter what?
MY HEART IS BREAKING OVER THIS I love Penny

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has your friend actually done introductions with these cats? Here are some TCS articles to share with her.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite

Do you live close by enough that you could visit Penny and help her move toward being more comfortable in her new home? Did Penny get to keep her own food/water dish, litter box, and toys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the information
No Penny lives pretty far away and she did not take anything other than a small blanket that smelled like me
I have my own cats that are very senior (which is why i cant take anyone in permanently any longer) and they shared food water and litter
im just so sad for her
i need help trying to get her to accept this new family
i have a dismorfia issue where i place human emotions on animals and convince myself
that Penny is sitting there crying everyday and that she is thinking
i want to go home i miss my mom i miss my family
i dont know if cats feel this or not but 5 weeks in she should be trying to adjust shouldnt she?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just take longer than others. From what you have said, her personality seems like this might just be the case with her. She is just trying to acclimate the best she knows how, and sometimes it just takes a lot of patience, so thank goodness your friend has that going for her. Have her use any of the tips/suggestions in those articles she would like and see if they help - just don't expect immediate results.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, 5 weeks is not a long time for a shy cat. Your stress about this can be effecting your own cats, so you'll want to take a look at the articles above, pass them along, and acknowledge that Penny is going to acclimate at her own speed. She's working on learning a whole new lifestyle, environment, sounds, smells, routines etc al.

The very best thing you can tell Penny's people is to continue to be patient 💞

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminded me of a recent thread started by BigCoffinHunter BigCoffinHunter about their cat Xander.

Give that thread a read. Xander was hiding for a long time before finally getting more comfortable, and the story has a happy ending.

There are lots of replies in that thread from various other members that could be helpful, too.

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This reminded me of a recent thread started by BigCoffinHunter BigCoffinHunter about their cat Xander.

[/URL]

Give that thread a read. Xander was hiding for a long time before finally getting more comfortable, and the story has a happy
And Xander is still adjusting. We are at about 10 weeks now. He’s still skittish, but no longer immediately runs from us and has been playful and affectionate. He’s just a slow poke. I think it will be several months before he’s settled in, and that’s ok. Penny sounds like a slow poke too, but I bet she will do the same!
[/QUOTE]
C1407291-230A-4591-8231-0E7CF7C3BC92.jpeg