Adopted Declawed Cat. Advice?

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
We recently adopted our 3 year old Panko from a humane society in rural Kentucky. He's a very sweet, relaxed, and mild mannered boy. Everything has been going well aside from something we noticed when we went to trim his nails tonight. Horrifyingly, his last owners declawed his front paws! We weren't told this information upon adoption nor is it in any of his paperwork, which honestly just gives me the worst ick feeling.
So as the new human to a declawed adult kitty, is there advice as to what things I can do/products i can buy to make him more comfortable? I've done some research into some of the problems that can ensue from declawing, but there aren't very many articles that explain what I can do for those issues should they come up. I want to be prepared just in case!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I have/had 3 front paw only declawed cats - no issues whatsoever. They are/were inside only cats. That is all I can attest to. Others will come along and tell you that it can present issues, and I am sure there can be. But, thankfully, not for me. I also have a neighbor who has an outdoor cat with front paw only declawing (in the confines of their enclosed yard) that has not experienced any issues either.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve also adopted or inherited declawed cats in the past. Of course, I never let them go outside, but I also watched for evidence of pain and/or behavioral issues. Your vet can help you treat for pain (potentially in the feet or in his back because he probably walks a bit differently). Cats may avoid the litter box because the litter hurts their feet. I use a clumping grass litter as well as, occasionally, clumping wood (Okocat) because I think it’s softer on their feet. Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I was fortunate that my kitties didn’t appear to have problems but I did watch them carefully. I’m so glad you’ve adopted Panko and are giving him a loving, safe environment! :redheartpump:

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Some declawed cats 'may' have a tendency to bite because their defense mechanism is gone. Keep in mind since scratching is a natural behavior for cats Panko may still want to scratch. Thank you for adopting and giving him a forever home. :thanks:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is declawed. She does bite but I think that's part of her personality. She could use my 72inch tower but I had to buy a new one that is hard for Her to jump on because the sides are like big pillows and she cannot grab so it's never used. I am considering cutting them off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Appreciate all the advice everyone! We are learning more and more about Panko's patterns. We'll definitely be switching from clay litter to something a little softer to prevent/minimize any possible irritation. He does still scratch on his cat tree and can tend to give a soft warning bite when overstumulated, which is fair! For what he's been through, he's still such a loving, patient guy. I'm lucky to have him.

The handsome man says thank you for looking out for him!
View attachment 20220204_111338-min.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, look at that sweet face! He looks like a very relaxed, happy guy.

I use either Smart Cat clumping grass litter or the Kroger-brand version which is Abound. They seem the same to me, but the Abound is less expensive. I also like the Okocat Super Soft clumping wood litter. They all clump and control odor extremely well. Two things to know about them, though: They track a lot (although it’s not quite as bad for short-haired cats) and it takes awhile for kitties to get used to them. They’re so lightweight that when kitty steps into the box, he sinks into it. You can solve the latter problem by mixing it into your regular litter over time. You can’t really solve the tracking problem, only minimize it a bit with a good litter mat and frequent vacuuming!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I inherited a declawed cat. I actually gave her to a neighbor as a kitten only to find out she was declawed after I took her back after her passing. Mine was a loving as she could be! They still need scratch pads to sharpen their non existent claws. The cardboard ones I think get the best satisfaction.