Adopted Cat Meowing

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a 2 year old male two weeks ago. He was very freaked out the first two nights, but once he took up under our bed and we confined him to the room, he started to improve. He now eats twice daily, uses the litter box and at night when we go to bed he leaves to explore the rest of the apartment and usually spends it in the living room.

He’s still spending most of his time under the bed. And for the first two weeks he was mostly silent except for the first night there were a lot of stressed meows.

Recently though, he’s starting to meow every time he sees us. And I can’t decide if this is good or not. They are light squeaky meows and it’s almost always when he sees us. But we don’t go near him and he meows as if to say “what are you doing here!?” but he’s the one entering the room we’re in! We don’t approach him cause he runs away if we do.

Should I be concerned that he’s suddenly so vocal? Or is this a good thing in that he might be warming up to us? He doesn’t seem injured at all, still eats and uses the box. He was described as not a very vocal cat and mostly a shy one.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats vocalize to humans for attention. If he didn't want your attention he'd be quiet. My guess is it is more of "Hi" or "I'm here". He is probably scoping things out and trying to figure out how to act in your house as much you are trying to figure out him.

When he enters the room just say hi and put down a hand for him. If he starts to approach you just wait quietly until he bumps your hand. Over time you should be able to approach him but for now let him guide the interactions.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Adult cats rarely meow to each other- mostly it's to communicate with humans. Different cats are more or less vocal, I think that the reason your boy is more talkative now is because he's adjusted and feels comfortable in his new environment. Like Kieka said, his meowing when he sees you is probably like he's saying "hi!". My Charlie does this every time I come home. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats vocalize to humans for attention. If he didn't want your attention he'd be quiet. My guess is it is more of "Hi" or "I'm here". He is probably scoping things out and trying to figure out how to act in your house as much you are trying to figure out him.

When he enters the room just say hi and put down a hand for him. If he starts to approach you just wait quietly until he bumps your hand. Over time you should be able to approach him but for now let him guide the interactions.
He came into the bedroom last night meowing at us from the door and then ran under the bed still meowing. We say hi and what’s up buddy but don’t approach him cause then he runs away. Lol if feels like he’s yelling at us like “what are you guys doing in here!”

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may feel that way but it isn't. I have a little one who came to us feral and she doesn't make a sound when she doesn't want attention. If she doesn't want a human to notice her, you'll never even know she came in the room. Even if he is making a suprised sound its still a sound which means he wants you to hear him. In his own way he is trying to fit in. Just give him time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may feel that way but it isn't. I have a little one who came to us feral and she doesn't make a sound when she doesn't want attention. If she doesn't want a human to notice her, you'll never even know she came in the room. Even if he is making a suprised sound its still a sound which means he wants you to hear him. In his own way he is trying to fit in. Just give him time.
Thanks so much for this advice! We were worried they were scared meows and he was regressing instead of getting better around us. But this makes me feel so much better! Thanks!