Adopted cat less playful more cuddly after a month

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I probably am being dramatic but I obsess over everything my cat does. I adopted my cat a month ago and he is 4 years old. When I first got him he was sick and hid a lot and then once better became super playful. He was hesitant at first with cuddling with me, he was surrendered, but slowly warmed up. Lately all he does is cuddle with me and doesn’t play as much. I figured he’s not sick because he’s not hiding and I did just take him to the vet and get all his bloodwork done and everything is normal. Again, I overthink everything when it comes to him so I just want to make sure this is normal behavior. I love that he’s so cuddly now lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t realize this was kitten!

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t realize this was kitten!
Kitten is just a tag for you yourself because you’re a new member, you didn’t post in like a “kitten section” or anything, so don’t worry about that, this is the right place for your thread.

Was your cat adopted from a shelter where he was kept in a small cage most of the time? If so, my best guess is once he was feeling better he finally got a proper chance to play regularly for the first time in a long time, so he took advantage of it, and now that it’s been awhile and he has relaxed into a new routine with you he is feeling more safe and confident, so he is cuddling more and playing a bit less because he’s been able to get his energy out more consistently.

If he is eating well, using the litter box regularly, alert, and otherwise acting healthy and happy I wouldn’t worry, especially since he just saw the vet and had good blood work. He’s probably just finally settled down into his new routine and home, and now wants to spend more time with you.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten is just a tag for you yourself because you’re a new member, you didn’t post in like a “kitten section” or anything, so don’t worry about that, this is the right place for your thread.

Was your cat adopted from a shelter where he was kept in a small cage most of the time? If so, my best guess is once he was feeling better he finally got a proper chance to play regularly for the first time in a long time, so he took advantage of it, and now that it’s been awhile and he has relaxed into a new routine with you he is feeling more safe and confident, so he is cuddling more and playing a bit less because he’s been able to get his energy out more consistently.

If he is eating well, using the litter box regularly, alert, and otherwise acting healthy and happy I wouldn’t worry, especially since he just saw the vet and had good blood work. He’s probably just finally settled down into his new routine and home, and now wants to spend more time with you.
thank you so much!!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, same thing with our cat, Buddy. We adopted him about 1.5 years ago - he was estimated to be a little over 2 years old at that time. All he wanted to do for a good while was play, play, play, then eat, then cuddle. I think once he got all that pent up play worked out of his system and settled down, then he became much more cuddly, very cuddly. He still had a lot of wild kitty attacks, and still does that crazy sideways crab walk, etc., but he is more balanced in what he likes. He loves to cuddle and help me work. I work from home and am very thankful for having a good wireless mouse and keyboard - I have to work around him frequently and have gotten pretty good working with a cat head using my hand as a pillow, etc. He was at a rescue for several months before we adopted him (2nd time - he was a return - so glad the former home returned him instead of dumping him). I think now, its more like cuddle and snooze first, food (he loves his food) 2nd, and play third. He is very healthy, no issues.

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Enjoy those cuddles! He's trusting you now.
PS. Feel free to post some photos of your cat if you want. We love to see them!
here’s some! his facial expressions are my favorite haha seen in the last one

Attachments