Adopted Cat Hissing

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 4 years old cat from the shelter yesterday. I started her in the bathroom/laundry. She took a liking to sitting on the laundry machine probably wanting to hide behind it but its not big enough. I left accidentally left the door open and the bathroom/laundry room is connected to my bedroom. She found under the bed to be her safe haven . Refuses to come out . doesn't care for treats. I left her alone that night due to unforeseen circumstances, so I wasn't home for the rest of the night. I left a litter box, food and water in the bathroom/laundry room assuming I would let her slide and be kinda happy if I find her on the bed when I get back

The next morning I came home and I saw signs that a little bit of food was eaten. She also found her way to the litter box though I never showed her where it was before I left.
... But she was still under the bed.

I came back from the humane center and she was hissing at me from under the bed. I took a shower and after making meowing sound with her under the bed she came out. She explored my bed a little .
My bedroom is big since its the whole basement but she chooses to only stay near the bed.

Throughout the day we took nap and cuddle together. There were a lot of hissing when I did these things
- try to move the pillow she was on to the other side of the bed because it was on top of something I needed.
- try to gently push her a little toward the door in case she might decide to go see the rest of the house.

I need her to go out of my bedroom because Im allergic to cat and if she were outside in open area my allergy wouldn't be as bad .

On her own she would stare at the stairs but will not go up but when she catch me trying to close the door she run so fast back under the bed.
I finally got her to go to the second floor by slowly moving my coffee mug, which she decided she liked better than her water bowl , for her to follow it upstair. I finally closed my bedroom door with her on the other side. But I wanted to move her litter box out of my bedroom so she can potty. I also wanted to bring the pillow she liked sleeping on out for her to make it a little better. Anyways, she hissed at me and was so quick with it , found her way back in my room , and hissed all the way to under the bed.

If im being honest I love this cat but I get so scared when she hiss at me and I know I'm doing things she doesn't like but I also really need her to get out of the room. I have a bedroom upstair that I can turn into her safe room. But honestly im too scared to pick her up to go 3 floors up . I know she would squirm and try to fight, get stress, n scratch me.

I made the mistake of putting her in wrong room.

How do I get her out even if gradually? and how do I not get so scared when she hiss at me?

I know she still likes me because when I leave, like go upstairs to make food she would leave from where she was cuddling with me and go under the bed
but whenever I come back she comes back out on her own.

Help, yes I am a noob :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing just fine. Thanks for coming to this site! Just a thought, is there a way you can possibly sleep in another room for a bit to ease your allergies while she gains enough confidence. It will take a little time, I love that she likes your coffee mug and was willing to follow you with that. Leaving the door open, if possible, sounds like a big part of what helps her be more comfortable. Try a little bit of cheese or tuna but try not to move her yet unless you absolutely have to. The longer she's there the less she'll hiss which will calm you and again will help her, round and round.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha, I was thinking about the same thing as Furballsmom. If you can sleep somewhere else in the meantime. I know that it is properly not preferable to you, but it would be a simpler solution. A cat needs a lot of time to get used to their new environment. Once she finds a safe place to settle down, it would be harder for her to choose any other places. Try to make her as comfortable as possible during this transitioning time. Always have food and treats ready for her whenever you manipulate her, and even play with her with a wand toy. It will change her mood. However, do not do so after she hisses or growls, otherwise, you would reward the wrong behavior.

As for your cat allergy, normally it will get better after a few weeks. Your body will learn to accept this cat, but only this cat.

Let us know your progress.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It sounds like there is already some trust and a bond between you, that is great.

It usually take some time to build trust between a cat and a new home. So I do a few things when I am in this situation.

I never reach towards the cat, I always let the cat make contact. So please don't try to touch her or forcibly pick her up and try to move her. Cats take time to build trust and movements like that can cause a cat to rebel. Hissing is a form of communication. It is like us saying "don't do that". So what I do is a few things.

I sit in the room with the new cat (on the floor) and just talk softly and lovingly to them. I also use food as food is a great way to build trust between a person and a cat. So if she is hiding place some food near (but not too close) to where the cat is hiding. Never cause any distress though, just put it down and sit calmly and confidently in a separate part of the room or go out of the room. The cat will then associate the person with something good (food). We want to build positive associations.

Also, cats take on our emotions. I know it can be scary when a cat hisses but if we don't make any movements towards them that could be perceived as threatening then it should end in just a hiss. Cats typically only bite when they are in real fear of being hurt. Also, if we feel fear etc a cat can pick up on that, notice some is different and then be on "high alert" as it can be perceived as a potential threat. I deal with ferals all the time and notice the impact of my emotions and my actions have on the ferals. The more calm and confident I am the more calm they tend to be.

I agree with the others, if there is anyway possible to sleep elsewhere that could be helpful. Or if you can't just leave the door open and your cat may just wander around at night. You can also use food to entice her out but it sounds like she does like your room and will probably want to go back there (most likely because she likes you and wants to be near you and your scent).

I think you are doing a great job with her as well. You obviously love her and have already built a nice bond and trust and she seems to be adjusting well.

Also, I wanted to thank you for saving her life and giving her a great home with love. THANK YOU.

You already have 2 great helpers and I will follow the thread as well so please ask anything anytime and we can help you get through this. Keep up the great work!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, don’t be frightened when your cat hisses. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the cat is going to attack -usually there will be high pitched wailing and or growling if they are ready to do that. While she may be trying to warn you away, she may also just be telling you that she is nervous or afraid. You do definitely want to respect what she is saying and give her space and dont touch her. In you don’t want to touch her hissing or not unless she initiates it. Some cats are just more hissy than others but as she gets more comfortable with you and your place will hiss less.

Last edited: