Adopted cat hiding/hissing

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait….they didn’t want you to hold him? That’s a red flag. Did they take him out of the cage at all? I am thinking they were aware the cat was not socialized, and wanted to get him adopted. Most places are very concerned with getting the right animal and human together, but a few are so concerned with turnover, that they can be deceptive when they have a less than ideal temperament.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read through your thread several times. I have to say, you sound almost panicky throughout. For example, why are you concerned he would get sick?

But really, I'm wondering why you're in a hurry? He is trying as hard as he knows how to ask you to allow him some space and time.

Other than when you're feeding him, and just sitting on the floor and reading, --either out loud to him or not, and not looking at him directly and not trying to touch him, ... other than that, ignore him. You want him to be able to learn about things, as alldara has mentioned, and he needs to be unpressured by you to be able to do that.

Wait for him to approach you. It doesn't matter how long it takes, but that is what you have to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wait….they didn’t want you to hold him? That’s a red flag. Did they take him out of the cage at all? I am thinking they were aware the cat was not socialized, and wanted to get him adopted. Most places are very concerned with getting the right animal and human together, but a few are so concerned with turnover, that they can be deceptive when they have a less than ideal temperament.
UGH, I should have gone with my original decision. I really understand dogs so much better. I was getting another cat to keep my dog company during the day. He was going thru separation anxiety since my other cat passed. Like I said, I had such a great experience with the last guy I adopted. We have ALWAYS adopted our pets, mostly dogs! Thank you for your feedback. I can be so nieve and trusting of people sometimes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soooooo, going on week #3, now when I open the closet door to give him treats he hisses and growls at me. It seems to me things are moving in the wrong direction. Any more suggestions, do I just throw in the towel and attempt to catch him and return him? I hate to do that, but.....

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when I open the closet door to give him treats he hisses and growls at me.
How large is this closet? You are keeping his litter and food in there? I wouldn’t be keeping the door closed at this point, unless you are concerned about your dog going in and being aggressive. He needs to be more aware of the sounds and activity of the house. Put his water and food just outside the threshold of the door. This can be moved further a little each day, as long as he is eating. If this closet is in a bedroom, that door can be kept closed for a couple of days instead, to help him feel safe.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take the shirt you wore for the day in the evening and put it in the closet with him. Do this with everyone in the house so he gets familiar with all of your scents. It sounds silly but it does help some cats.

I understand wanting to give up after 3 weeks but some cats can take a month to two months to adjust. As long as he is eating, drinking, and using his litter box he feels "safe enough". It is more or less just allowing him to build up trust for you and knowing if he comes out, he will not be attacked.

This video might be helpful, not quite the same situation but he says a few things that could be helpful for you:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In some places they no longer let people hold them. Here in my city, some cats have been cat-napped from stores that the shelters adopt out of.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Soooooo, going on week #3, now when I open the closet door to give him treats he hisses and growls at me. It seems to me things are moving in the wrong direction. Any more suggestions, do I just throw in the towel and attempt to catch him and return him? I hate to do that, but.....
It's hard for us to give tips when you haven't let us know how he responded to the ones we gave earlier.

I don't see the answers to any of the questions I asked.

Perhaps you could contact the rescue you got your last cat from (not this one), and see if they could give you advice or take him. I worry if you return him to the shelter you got him from that they will have him put to sleep or allow him to go to many more homes as they are falsely advertising him.

Please consider taking him to a rescue that keeps them in foster homes. He's a cat who needs support.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He was going thru separation anxiety since my other cat passed. Like I said, I had such a great experience with the last guy I adopted.
Is the last cat you adopted the same one you mentioned in this thread?

Cat Is Suddenly Terrified Of Everything.

It seems you had a lot of trouble getting the first cat used to your home too. What worked last time?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the last cat you adopted the same one you mentioned in this thread?
Just read this. It does sound like OP may have something going on with the home there. Another dog or cat in the neighborhood maybe? Only experience I have with that is when my cat suddenly started hiding under some furniture when she was young. Turns out my neighbor next door had a Rottweiler visiting. Luckily that only lasted a couple of days.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken this cat to your vet, not the one connected to the shelter to see if he has any illnesses or injuries that are causing him pain? Has he had a full body x-ray to see if he has arthritis? If he hasn't it's possible he needs some medicine. It's possible he was taking medicine when he arrived at the shelter and they didn't realize it and everything has been wrong for him since not getting his medicine. A quick vet trip might answer a lot of questions.

Alternatively,

In your heart of hearts are you afraid of this new cat? Are you crying every day? Do you look at him and think, you're not the cat I lost? Do you feel a sense of despair when you sit with this cat? Are you afraid the cat will harm your little dog?

The cat can feel everything you're feeling. Reading our emotions is what cats do. They don't always get it quite right. For example: If you are afraid, then he knows there is something huge, bigger than you are, to be afraid of in the house. The same is true if you are sad, something is making you sad, something that the cat may feel is dangerous because to the cat you are large and better set to protect yourself than he is.

If you are experiencing any of the emotions I mentioned in the second paragraph it maybe time to surrender. However, to ease the guilt you will feel, try the vet trip before you surrender him.

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How’d you and your nervous buddy make out? I hope things have improved since your last post after more patience. Let us know!

Adopting a cat is an exciting experience, and I think it often makes us eager to engage. (Especially if a tad bit of loneliness is what motivated us to add a new family member.) Sure, there are occasions when a cat’s transition from the shelter to his or her new home is relatively seamless, but that’s likely not the norm.

For those who find this thread in the search feature due to similar circumstances, let me share my recent cat adoption experience, which occurred just a couple of months ago.

1) Sasha’s profile was listed on a local shelter’s website. On her page was a video of her interacting with one of the volunteers. She looked like a little puppy! As soon as she saw the staff, she came bolting over, rolled on her back, and then initiated relentless headbutting. My thoughts were, “Whoa, jackpot! This is going to be easy.”

2) The shelter’s process did not involve an in-person “meet.” Sure, it could be arranged, but it was explained to me that doing so would significantly slow down the process. This made me a little hesitant, but I kept going back to Sasha’s video. “She’s so social! I know we’ll hit it off.”

3) I met Sasha for the first time just prior to taking her home. She tolerated me being in her holding area, where I sat quietly for about 10-15 minutes before quietly calling her over every few minutes. It was a no-go. After another 15-20 minutes, the staff came and tried to get Sasha into a cardboard carrier. That didn’t go well, and the organization’s “cat whisperer” was called on to help.

4) Prior to this, I set up my apartment for Sasha. Cat furniture in every room. Litter box and water/food dishes in the perfect spot. I even took a week off from work to help get her adjusted. “We’re going to have the best week!” I thought.

5) After Sasha and I got home (a 30-minute drive), I left Sasha in her carrier for a bit before letting her out to explore. She quickly looked around and poof! Under my bed. Where she stayed … for a while. On the rare occasions that I left, she seemed to check out the litter box, but she didn’t eat.

6) After day 3, I moved the litter box and food close to my bed, where Sasha was hiding. Every couple of hours, I would come into my bedroom and talk to her quietly. Aside from that, I left her alone.

7) On Day 4, there were some signs of eating! Sasha quickly popped out to use the litter box but would then scoot back to under the bed.
8) The weekend’s here! Sasha started poking her head out. She approached me … withdrew … and then approaches again. By the end of Saturday, I got a few pets in. Total interaction time for the entire week? 60-90 minutes!

9) Headed into the second week, we were making strides! Daily petting. Eating more (but not a lot).

10) Aw, I notice that Sasha is sitting comfortably in one of the cubbies I use for my folded shirts. She’s hiding behind them, looking adorable. I reach in to pet her and … HISS! Whoa, where did that come from? I respect her communication and back away.

11) A couple of weeks later, Sasha and I are getting along swimmingly. She’s (finally) starting to use some of her furniture. On one occasion, I’m relaxing on the couch, and Sasha decides to chill on one of her nearby cat beds. She looks so cute and comfortable! I go in for a pet and … HISS! This was a reminder that I wasn’t 100% trusted quite yet. It became clear that if Sasha didn’t have an exit, she was still not cool with me approaching her.

12) It’s now been almost 3 months since I’ve had Sasha, and only now can I safely reach into her carrier (where she sometimes sleeps) or extend a couple of fingers toward her head when she’s atop her cat tree for a goodnight pet without her responding nervously/aggressively.

And this gradual progression all took place in an apartment where I:

1) Live alone.
2) Have no other pets.
3) Have very consistent/routine days.

Imagine if I were to have kids and/or a dog or other cats!

Sasha’s extroverted and her profile video wasn’t a scam. It’s just that transitions can take time.

Try to be patient with your new buddy! I promise that the wait is worth it.

Attachments