Adopted Cat Damaged Paws

Keithaaland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
I just adopted a cat. While I was at the humane society I noticed kitty litter on the cats feet. I asked her about it and she said it's just kitty litter and it'll come right off. I said ok and off I went.

Later on as I gave the cat some time to adjust and relax I took a wet towel and tried to get some of the kitty litter off of the cats paws. Once I got some of it off I noticed his paws looked damaged.

They looked extremely chapped and dry. Very crusty in spots. The cat walks fine and seems fine otherwise. I haven't had cats since I was a kid and I don't remember ever seeing a problem like this.

I attached a couple pictures of the feet. Has anybody here seen something like this? What should I do here? Just go to the vet. Or is this a more serious problem that's gonna cost serious money? Maybe I should have the humane society fix the feet? I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Uploaded a picture of the little guy also. He's great! I hope his feet are ok :(

Thank you!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen anything like that. Are all four of his paws like that, or just the back?

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. If it were me, I would email the photos to the humane society and to my veterinarian to ask what they think.

Congrats on the new kitty! He looks like one laid-back fellow.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking maybe some sort of fungus and did a search for "cat pad fungus" pictures which turned up nothing. Then I tried "cat crusty paws" and did find this cat owner's blog whose new cat had similar looking paws. She thought the cat maybe had frostbite, or the paws were just very chapped and dry from a harsh winter.

Not Exactly Twinkle Toes

Your cat was an outdoor cat prior to you adopting him? My cats have always been indoor-only, but I would expect "harder looking" pads on an outdoor cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keithaaland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!

I did email the humane society the pictures but I don't have a vet yet.

I have to wait until Monday. The waits gonna kill me.

Keithaaland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking maybe some sort of fungus and did a search for "cat pad fungus" pictures which turned up nothing. Then I tried "cat crusty paws" and did find this cat owner's blog whose new cat had similar looking paws. She thought the cat maybe had frostbite, or the paws were just very chapped and dry from a harsh winter.

Not Exactly Twinkle Toes

Your cat was an outdoor cat prior to you adopting him? My cats have always been indoor-only, but I would expect "harder looking" pads on an outdoor cat.
Yes! Stray in North Dakota brought in around the end of March (really cold). Winters up here are extremely brutal. I bet they just destroyed his paws!

I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Keithaaland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG

Hey guys. I have a question. My new friend just pooped this out into his litter box. It looks like ketchup to me. This is really alarming to me. Anybody have an idea on what's going on here?

When he got home I fed him a bowl of thebiams dried food and a cup of that wet meow mix stuff. He inhaled the meow mix stuff and then ate some dry food. He's been sleeping ever since. All he's doing is sleeping.

I was worried it was blood when I saw it on his bum. But then I saw it in he litter box and that doesn't look like blood to me.

I have an appointment set up for him in one week. Do you guys think he will be ok until then? I haven't fed him any of the wet food since. I have a bowl of water and dry food out. He doesn't seem to be touching any of it though. He's just sleeping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about the guy. :(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww! I think I'd give him a bit of boiled chicken with a little mushy rice. That's an old-fashioned cure for an upset tummy. Another option people use is a bit of canned plain pumpkin (not the spiced pie filling). I've never tried it, but it supposedly works with either constipation or the runs.

That looks like artificial food coloring. I know Meow Mix uses colors in their dry. What's on the wet ingredient label?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes. I can see why you'd be concerned, although it very well could just be food coloring. One of our cats used to puke something about that color back in the days when he preferred to eat dry foods I could buy at the grocery store, like Deli-Cat and Meow Mix.

How is your guy doing today?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like the cheapo food isn't agreeing with him. Meow mix is a horrible product with artificial colors and mystery meat.

I'd get him off the meow mix and onto something better without colors or mystery meat.