Adopted a pregnant cat

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m in the UK and a month ago I adopted a cat. Low and behold she’s now full term from what I gather.

her tummy has dropped, colostrum from her teats and she’s very sleepy! She hasn’t gone off her food one bit.

literally 30 mins ago I had to pack up all my stuff and leave my home due to DV. my mum picked me and Lileth up and she’s now in a separate bedroom away from everyone. Of course this has made her extremely nervous and she’s panting. I’ve put her nest in there with towels and a dressing gown which smells of me so it’s something familiar. She has fresh water and some wet food out.

I just feel so awful because she’s so frightened but I needed to get out of the house with her because I don’t trust my ex partner looking after her when she’s due probably any day now.
do you think there’s anything else I can do to help her relax? Or should I leave her be to settle for a while?

I’ve attached a photo of her!! Just because it’s so cute 😻 I’m hoping she’ll settle soon, just worried because she’s panting

Attachments

Diksha

Leo's Butler
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Shanti (haven't seen her for 6 days) is terrified of traveling. The first time I brought her back from the vet she was panting really hard and drooled a bit too. I sat a few feet away from her, talking to her and telling her everything was alright. I gave her her favourite food to eat after she seemed a little less nervous. Just give her her space, the time she needs and lots of comfort. Do keep us updated about her health. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Shanti (haven't seen her for 6 days) is terrified of traveling. The first time I brought her back from the vet she was panting really hard and drooled a bit too. I sat a few feet away from her, talking to her and telling her everything was alright. I gave her her favourite food to eat after she seemed a little less nervous. Just give her her space, the time she needs and lots of comfort. Do keep us updated about her health. 🙂
Okay thank you for the reassurance!! She wasn’t drooling just hiding away and panting 🙁 I felt so bad because I left in quite a rush. Hopefully she’ll be feeling better tomorrow. I just hoped that the stress wouldn’t harm the kittens!!

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she’s ate almost a full pouch of wet food but she’s still panting slightly 🙁

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she in labor? Can you stay in the room with her? That would probably calm her down to have you with her. I’m sorry about your situation. At least you are both safe now.

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she in labor? Can you stay in the room with her? That would probably calm her down to have you with her. I’m sorry about your situation. At least you are both safe now.
Thank you for your kind words. She’s stopped panting now!!! I was thinking could it have been labour but nope no panting or any contractions. I’m going to be staying with her in this room just to help her adjust so I definitely won’t miss any again then.
Im guessing its only a few days left! Then I can look into getting her spayed once weaned.

she won’t be going out at all so I don’t have to worry about it happening again. I’m just shocked the adoption centre didn’t know or tell me that she was pregnant

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting is a sign of extreme nervousness, which the move brought on. Just stay with her as much as you can and reassure her, offering water, treats, and lots of strokes. Moving right before birth could bring on birthing itself, so watch her. Premature kittens do not do well, so try to calm her by being with her. Cats are tough, so she should be fine, keep us informed!

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panting is a sign of extreme nervousness, which the move brought on. Just stay with her as much as you can and reassure her, offering water, treats, and lots of strokes. Moving right before birth could bring on birthing itself, so watch her. Premature kittens do not do well, so try to calm her by being with her. Cats are tough, so she should be fine, keep us informed!
thank you for your reply! She’s completely stopped panting now, might sound silly but I found a 15 hour relaxing music for cats with anxiety video on YouTube 😅 and she loves it! She’s calmed down now and having a good snooze on the window sill, I’ll attach a photo!

yeah that’s what I was worried about 😣 I’m pretty certain she only has 3/4 days left so hopefully the kittens won’t come early and they’ll be fine.

is there anything I should look for in particular as to signs she’s in the first stage of labor? She’s definitely dropped and her tummy is harder, she still has a good appetite, colostrum from her teats, she sleeps loads which her and me both being pregnant 😂 I read that she may have discharge a couple days before but that can go unnoticed as they clean themselves often and that she might eat less too, but is there anything else to keep an eye out for?

thanks everyone for your replies and here’s the photo!
1136CF8A-96A3-4039-AC52-E7871502F7F8.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, she looks comfy! You sound like you know what to look for. It’s just waiting now. :)

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys!! I think she’s in the first stage of labor 🥳 getting in and out of her nest, panting and breathing fast, flicking her tail. She’s only picking at her food which is extremely unlike her!! I’m trying to see if she’s having contractions but it’s quick hard to tell

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the kittens are extremely active in her tummy, almost looks like boiling water?!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That 'boiling water' is more likely contractions. Just keep a eye on her, stay with her if you can. Some mothers get exhausted and have trouble cleaning the kittens off, be ready with a warm wet washcloth to clean their face off and stimulate them to breath by rubbing their body.. Mama's licking usually does that. All the luck!

Last edited:

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That 'boiling water' is more likely contractions. Just keep a eye on her, stay with her if you can. Some mothers get exhausted and have trouble cleaning the kittens off, be ready with a warm wet washcloth to clean their face off and stimulate them to breath by rubbing their body.. Mama's licking usually does that. All the luck!
well no kittens as of yet!! she seems a lot more relaxed today, I don’t think it can be that much longer. Perhaps the kittens were just moving down more rather than contractions as she looks like she’s dropped even more?! She almost looks dinky from the back 🤔

fingers crossed it’s tonight!

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The real contractions have started!! Usually three to four contractions and then about 6 mins apart!!! How soon can I expect kittens? 😳 she’s letting me rub her tummy and she’s purring bless her

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s pushing!!

Chloemmcf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First one is out!! A black and white baby x