Adopted a new buddy for my cat! Couple questions

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had put up another thread a week ago where I was thinking about getting my current 6 year old bengal a buddy since I'm at work at an office all day. I had 3 bengals at once and had to say bye to the 2 brown ones in the picture at 17 years old each. Since he was around other cats for the first part of his life, I couldn't let him live 10 more years alone, ya know??

Well, I took the plunge last weekend and adopted a 4 year old black kitty from a rescue adoption fair! He is a really friendly kitty and ate/drank used his box right away. I have him housed in a bedroom on his own for the moment. I think it may be a while before I can begin introductions. He ended up having worms so he was de-wormed this past week and I think that looks to have resolved pretty quickly. I don't see any small specks on the chair he sleeps on like I did the first couple of nights.

The next problem is I took a sample from his litter box and he has parasites (Giardia I think she said). So he is on Panacur for 5 days to clear that up. He is going to probably hate me after these 5 days as it is the liquid version, but hey, I'm trying to nurse him back to health! I just hope I'm getting enough medicine in him to take care of it and he still comes around me after the 5 days.... 2 down so far. I bought some wet food to try and reward him the next 3 nights afterwards...

So I guess those seem to be regular issues with shelter cats,right?

My last thought I wanted to double check is his FIV status. He tested negative on 2/11/22 when he was turned in to the shelter. Just to be sure, I had him tested again on 3/9/22 and he is still negative. My vet said FIV can develop 2 to 4 months down the road, but I'm thinking that in only a months time at a shelter and 2 negative tests it's probably slim he was ever exposed to it via a cat fight or something. (That's 2 months accounted for with the time frames he was tested). Would you think that I'm safe to introduce the cats once the parasites are cleared up? Which will be at least another full week +

Pictures for kitty attention!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Those are gorgeous cats, including the new baby who has already found the comfortable sink. The boy in front is the one remaining?

I only work with strays and ferals and have brought cats to my house, having them tested by the vet first for all serious diseases, often without any preparation beforehand. No one has ever even been from an animal shelter, but have been directly rescued from the street or a feral colony. I can only tell you my experience which is that I test once and if the test is negative I proceed with whatever the introduction or adoption process will be. My cat vet has never insisted on repeat testing and I have never had a mishap lo these many years of doing rescue.

Having said that, I am not saying that you should not retest if you feel the need. Certainly members here do post about retesting. Can your vet give you any guidance as to how many times, if any, the third test has been positive when the first two were not?

It is true that with FIV there is a false positive and false negative possibility. This article explains the parameters of this as they are understood.

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks fionasmom fionasmom ! Yes, the white cat up front is my surviving cat. It's been 5 months since he has had another friend to hang with and my gut was telling me it is time to help solve that.

Appreciate your experience and link on the FIV. I've been reading about it and it's interesting that I've read a few articles that say negative tests are very reliable in nature. I didn't think to ask my vet that question if anyone has every had a positive 3rd test after 2 negatives but she kind of made it sound like it is all a timing issue of when it develops and shows in their blood.

I'm feeling like this guy may be good. I have another week to get these parasites cleaned out before I begin any introductions anyway. But if anyone else has any thoughts, please share :)